www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

Author Topic: Motogadget M-Unit Blue, Rick's Regulator/Rectifier and ignition switch  (Read 716 times)

Offline Sonreir

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Oregon
1.) The solenoid for most of the DOHC bikes has a four pin plug. One is ground, one is to activate the solenoid, and the other two are always on. Skip these last two, no longer needed. The green/red wire can be grounded. The last wire, yellow/red goes to the output for the start on the m-unit.

2.) Doesn't really matter too much so long as the output from the kill switch goes to the coils. Leaving the spark units with power when the coils are off won't hurt anything.
Sparck Moto - http://www.sparckmoto.com

Audaces fortuna iuvat.

1977 Honda CJ360 - Café SOS - Stage One™, Café SOS - Stage Two™
1976 Puch Maxi - APuchalypse Now
Suzi T500 Cobra Resto

Custom Gauge Graphics
Custom Wiring Harnesses

DTT Red, White, and/or Black 360 Club - Better than those Blue guys

Offline Deuterostomia

Rick Reg/Rec only utilizes three of the four pins in the connector that plugs into the solenoid. The colors are red/white, black and green. However, I do see a red/yellow wire in the schematic that runs from the solenoid to the start button. That said, do i utilize that spare pin slot, and if so do i simply run a wire from the start output of the m-unit to it?

Thanks,

Drew

Offline Deuterostomia

Rick Reg/Rec only utilizes three of the four pins in the connector that plugs into the solenoid. The colors are red/white, black and green. However, I do see a red/yellow wire in the schematic that runs from the solenoid to the start button. That said, do i utilize that spare pin slot, and if so do i simply run a wire from the start output of the m-unit to it?

Thanks,

Drew

Scratch that, I misread the schematic. Which makes way more sense now.

Thanks,

Drew

Offline Deuterostomia

Got everything hooked up today, but wanted to test each circuit before I finalized the wiring and harness. Connected power to the m-unit, this was the first time doing so, and nothing happens. The leds do not go through there initial startup sequence and none of them come on. The only led that illuminates is the Bluetooth led which blinks a steady amber color for approximately 10 seconds before turning off. That being said, does anyone know what the blinking amber led means?

Thanks,

Drew

Offline Sonreir

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Oregon
It will hopefully say in the instructions. And I wouldn't expect the LEDs to turn on until the power for the bike is on (either through the Bluetooth signal or the standard means).

Audaces fortuna iuvat.

Suzi T500 Cobra Resto

Custom Gauge Graphics
Custom Wiring Harnesses

Offline Deuterostomia

Good news and bad news. I'll start with the good first. Got the m-unit installed and figured out that the blinking of the bluetooth LED is normal and is indicative of the m-unit getting 12v from the battery. As you (Sonreir) stated previously, the m-unit does not go through its startup sequence until 12v is provided to the "lock" input. After that the m-unit goes through its initial diagnostics.

Now for the bad news, well not really bad, just not good in regards to progress being made on getting this bike started. That being said, when I power everything up I keep blowing a 30a fuse. I was able to isolate the two parts of the electrical system, M-unit and ignition system by removing one fuse at a time and then powering everything up. What I found was that the ignition side of things is where the fault lies. I then checked all of the wiring and found that I have a short to ground at the plug side of the starter solenoid. I then proceeded to check all of my work making sure that I followed your (Sonreir) directions. What I found was that the green/red that I had previously grounded to my electronics box was the culprit. When it is grounded to the electronics box it will cause a one of my two fuses to blow. All that being said, my question is what does this wire go to? It is obviously a power wire, but what does it power? Where does it connect to the m-unit?

Thanks,

Drew

Offline Sonreir

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Oregon
Dark green and red is usually for the ground side of the solenoid. It can also be used for clutch safety switch.

Where is the wire coming from?

Audaces fortuna iuvat.

Suzi T500 Cobra Resto

Custom Gauge Graphics
Custom Wiring Harnesses

Offline Deuterostomia

From the starter solenoid to the reg/rec, the ignition side is wired as follows.

Red/white solenoid to red/white reg/rec
Red solenoid was dispensed with as it originally would have run to the keyed ignition switch
Red/yellow solenoid to start output of m-unit
Red/green from solenoid to ground (wire that when grounded turns into a mini arc welder)  :o

Also, from the reg/rec I have the black wire running to aux output of the m-unit and the green wire running to ground.

The factory schematic shows that red/green should indeed run to the clutch safety switch. I wonder if maybe I had the connector installed 180 degrees out, though this seems unlikely given its more difficult to seat that way. As for the solenoid, how do i know which pins are the ground side and which are the power side?

Thanks,

Drew

Offline Sonreir

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Oregon
Is your solenoid the type where it has a fuse in it and a four pin connector?

Audaces fortuna iuvat.

Suzi T500 Cobra Resto

Custom Gauge Graphics
Custom Wiring Harnesses

Offline Deuterostomia

Is your solenoid the type where it has a fuse in it and a four pin connector?

Yes