www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

QUESTIONS ABOUT THE SITE? TROUBLE REGISTERING? ADMIN@DOTHETON.COM

Author Topic: OK, I'm gonna take the plunge. Need some advice...  (Read 927 times)

Offline LordHelmet

OK, I'm gonna take the plunge. Need some advice...
« on: Sep 08, 2017, 03:44:09 »
OK I think I've saved enough dough to do a build I've been wanting to do for quite a while.
I want to get something without a lot of parts to maintain as once it's done I want to ride as much as possible so I've settled on the old Honda CB350 (or CL).  Since my back is a bit shot I'm going to go with a tracker type look as opposed to a cafe for more comfort. 
I've found that Cognito Moto makes a lot of what I'm looking for - I would really like to do the USD GXSR fork conversion.  I've read some people advising against it saying that the frame and swingarm aren't able to cope with those stiff forks without reinforcement.  I'm not sure about that.  Can anyone confirm or deny? Any reason not to?  I'm doing this build as much for looks as for performance - I realize the front end is overkill.

Thanks-

Offline WhyNot

• ~~~If it ain't raining, I'm riding~~{iii}?~~prost~
Re: OK, I'm gonna take the plunge. Need some advice...
« Reply #1 on: Sep 08, 2017, 07:46:26 »
Go for it.......will be following, considering I want to do the same.

2006 Harley Davidson Heritage Softail
1975 Honda CB750K5 needs carb work
1974 Honda CB350F2 needs tins painted (being lazy)
1972 Honda CB175K2 roller no engine
1972 Honda CB/CL350 Engines need roller
1972 Honda CB100K2 needs kicker shaft
1990 Mitsubishi MM needs engine rebuild

Offline 1fasgsxr

« Reply #2 on: Sep 08, 2017, 09:27:24 »
I think is more of the fact it changes the chassis geometry and affects handling rather than the frame cant handle it. A few properly placed braces or gussets would fix that. But it can be done correctly... Good luck

« Reply #3 on: Sep 08, 2017, 10:41:21 »
I think it's a bit overkill and unnecessary for those bikes but yeah, if it's done right it shouldn't kill you -- and to each his own. It's your project. I saw a GSXR front end on a CL160 once.
"Remember when Goldwings were sexy? Me neither" -- Comet Tavern bathroom, Seattle.

Offline Tune-A-Fishİ

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • BOTM LOSER Proudly Deplorable
« Reply #4 on: Sep 08, 2017, 13:35:37 »
Skip the Cogneto top clamp but get the hub for spokes and go with the stock 18" wheel size, have a gullwing top clamp (gets you an inch taller from axle to clamp) made so your geometry stays within reason and your turn in will barely change.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON
"I didn't come here and I ain't leavin"  Willie Nelson

"love hard, live fast, die fun" Kacey Musgraves

"Like a Wreckin Ball!" Eric Church

Offline clem

• DTT BOTM WINNER
  • static fluff
« Reply #5 on: Sep 08, 2017, 17:52:33 »
Why don't you ride the CB for a little while first and then decide if you want to take the handling a step backwards. The GSXR front end will look cool but it will not make the bike better in any aspect of performance over a freshened up stocker.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using DO THE TON mobile app

"After every war there are soldiers who refuse to surrender. To this day there are still thousands who cling to their 30+ year old motorcycles, thinking that the war is still on, refusing to concede that the four-strokes have won"

1972 DS7 http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=45886.msg505995#msg505995
1983 CB550sc bobber http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=30599.30

Offline irk miller

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
  • You've been mostly-dead all day.
« Reply #6 on: Sep 08, 2017, 18:25:40 »
Something you may want to consider if you're going the tracker route, is running a CB750 front end.  The taper bearings are the same for both, with the only difference being the length of the stems.  You'll need a 4mm (5/32") thick spacer to make up the difference for the longer CB750 stem into the 350 neck.  The 750 has thicker fork tubes (35mm) for stiffness, but the forks will also run longer than the stock 350.  Longer shocks in the rear can give you more travel to match the front end height.  While it's not a USD front end, it's a legitimate swap for the purpose of a tracker at a fraction of the cost. 

Offline LordHelmet

« Reply #7 on: Sep 08, 2017, 19:28:34 »
Great thanks all this is very helpful.  So more  on my thoughts-
I want this to be a very quality and clean build done right so I'm willing to spend some money where I need to but saving money is also key as I have 3 bikes and my wife will bust my balls so I have to be smart about it.
I originally found the front end conversion idea for the bike because I want adjustability of the forks as well as disk brake.  If there are other easier and cheaper options then I would consider going that route.  I have to have spoke wheels.
regarding geometry I was going to upgrade the rear suspension with Fox shocks (or whatever else works) so I could make up any chassis issues I would think with those...

Cheers

Offline clem

• DTT BOTM WINNER
  • static fluff
« Reply #8 on: Sep 08, 2017, 21:28:30 »
Out of curiosity, what are your other bikes that you ride?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using DO THE TON mobile app

"After every war there are soldiers who refuse to surrender. To this day there are still thousands who cling to their 30+ year old motorcycles, thinking that the war is still on, refusing to concede that the four-strokes have won"

1972 DS7 http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=45886.msg505995#msg505995
1983 CB550sc bobber http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=30599.30

Offline irk miller

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
  • You've been mostly-dead all day.
« Reply #9 on: Sep 08, 2017, 21:40:28 »
I want this to be a very quality and clean build done right

There are hundreds of ways to do it right.  A Cognito Moto front end is just a really expensive version of it.  Also, vintage forks can be modernized.