www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

QUESTIONS ABOUT THE SITE? TROUBLE REGISTERING? ADMIN@DOTHETON.COM

Author Topic: OK, I'm gonna take the plunge. Need some advice...  (Read 606 times)

Offline LordHelmet

Re: OK, I'm gonna take the plunge. Need some advice...
« Reply #10 on: Sep 09, 2017, 00:26:12 »
My other bikes are a BMW K1300S and a Kawi KLX250S that I fixed up.  I also have a couple small Razor electric dirt bikes I ride with my 7 year old now that he's learning to ride. 
I love new bike technology but I hate the way they all look for the most part.  I'm very partial to 70's and even 80s bikes.  Carbs don't scare me.  I really enjoy working on my bikes - I consider myself a shade tree mechanic so there's a lot I need to learn which is why I wanted to start on something simple like the CB so I wouldn't get frustrated and not see it through.  I grew up riding with my dad (who's 76 and still rides) so I want to pass the love on to my son and I'd like to build something I can hand down to him later. 
I'm willing to listen to all advice here which is why I joined and I plan on sharing the progress.  I appreciate all input.  I'm already rethinking the GSXR front end.  Is there another front end from the same era bikes that is a bolt on (or almost) that would give me disk brake and any upgrade on the forks would be a bonus.  I suppose I could always go with emulators etc.  The rear though I would like to upgrade to some nice adjustable Fox (or other) brand. 

Offline Pinky23

« Reply #11 on: Sep 10, 2017, 07:40:01 »
I've been looking at front end swaps for an actual flat track race bike. I'm no expert but I'm sure someone will chip in.
From what I understand you can either make a new steerer tube or push your old one out if that's possible then adapt it to fit your new yokes or just get a new one made up to suit. Any machine shop/someone decent on a lathe could do it. Cognition moto make them but they are expensive. Look awesome though

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Offline irk miller

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
  • You've been mostly-dead all day.
« Reply #12 on: Sep 10, 2017, 08:43:32 »
I put an RM250 front end on an XL, which has a longer stem that can't be altered due to the clamping area on the fork tubes..  To do it, I used the top of the RM steering tube, machined it down a bit so it will would slide into the top of the XL steering tube, then welded it in place...

Online Tim

• Administrator
  • DTT SUPPORTER
    • DO THE TON
« Reply #13 on: Sep 10, 2017, 09:34:32 »
I've been looking at front end swaps for an actual flat track race bike. I'm no expert but I'm sure someone will chip in.
From what I understand you can either make a new steerer tube or push your old one out if that's possible then adapt it to fit your new yokes or just get a new one made up to suit. Any machine shop/someone decent on a lathe could do it. Cognition moto make them but they are expensive. Look awesome though

I'm sure you have already, but make sure you understand the rules in detail before swapping in modern parts to a vintage racer.

"Quality . . . you know what it is, yet you don't know what it is. But that's self-contradictory. But some things are better than others, that is, they have more quality. But when you try to say what the quality is, apart from the things that have it, it all goes poof! There's nothing to talk about. But if you can't say what Quality is, how do you know what it is, or how do you know that it even exists? If no one knows what it is, then for all practical purposes it doesn't exist at all. But for all practical purposes it really does exist."

Offline Pinky23

« Reply #14 on: Sep 10, 2017, 09:39:40 »

If you know something I don't then please let me know. I have looked and don't believe there are any restrictions to altering the parts. I hope to race DTRA classes - rookie and thunderbike.

I've looked at the regs but they're not the clearest! Looking for people that know the rules properly and also anyone who knows anything about chassis setup, angles, heights, rake, trail, wheelbase... anything to point me in the right direction