Starting troubles

Xs7501978

Didn't know where to post this so it's going in here. So my bike has been having trouble starting,
sometimes it's hard to start cold like this morning I was trying to go to work and it was really hard to start. Then when I was leaving work it started right up... then I let it warm up and restarted it. it started fine, then I drove it home and turned it off and back on just fine, tried again and it was hard to start.... any ideas? I this problem went away for almost a month but now it's back and idk what to do...

Ik people like pics...this is all I could think of to send haha
98a6554e3772a373d0eb626df9839d3f.jpg
8ae1238bfa0023e73f9e8113a88fa24c.jpg
48057f07c317c50bfb8d954aab1c4047.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

All the left hand side connectors look okay. Should I buy electrical cleaner spray and spray the connectors?

had the same issues with my XS 750 which was converted to your later transistor ignition.

1)check your battery voltage, if its under 12v you will not get proper spark.
2)thenI would check spark on all cylinders.
Do you have fat nice spark on all 3 cylinders?
3)if there is no spark on some of the cylinders I would cut a bit off the ignition cables (1cm) and then put them back into the spark ignition coil.
swap around ignition coils,check the plugs on the coils.

My issues were a combination of bad connections in the loom and a bad ignition box.

1st plug(left)
0dbf5f8f6ddc21bfdd2d70a1dcfc0b57.jpg

2nd(Middle plug)
ff71ff62799e7184eaea10c8df5b4545.jpg
it was super gunky ...
c94e27047b926959557bd72b21870517.jpg

3rd plug(right ride)
7c4bce2e3d3d4c8026b7447eea538bad.jpg

Looks like I have a strong spark on the first. And an eh spark on the third but the middle is a little rough. Probably because it was dirty....what's really weird is that whenever I'm testing spark on one the engine fires up(with the other 2 cylinders) like every time...but I put it back in and it won't start again...i can't really do your other tests yet since I have to ride it to work...yay for kicking the engine 50 thousand times, unless I get lucky! Battery had good charge I think it was at 17

NO. He means the HT leads where the plug cap is screwed on. Often the ends of the sires inside the cable are broken off. Remove the pug caps, cut 1/4" or so off the leads and screw the plug caps back on.

teazer said:
NO. He means the HT leads where the plug cap is screwed on. Often the ends of the sires inside the cable are broken off. Remove the pug caps, cut 1/4" or so off the leads and screw the plug caps back on.

Though the circled section doesn't look too good, either.

Haha okay so maybe that should be added to my to do list
" data-source="" class="bbCodeBlock bbCodeBlock--expandable bbCodeBlock--quote js-expandWatch">
Sonreir said:
Though the circled section doesn't look too good, either.

Your middle cylinder looks like there has been water in it. Plug isnt supposed to look like that. And your battery is NOT supposed to have 17 volts.

datadavid said:
Your middle cylinder looks like there has been water in it. Plug isnt supposed to look like that. And your battery is NOT supposed to have 17 volts.
It has had water in it? Like through the carbs into the engine? Is it going to die? And it starts around 13 and then slowly goes goes up until it reaches around 16.6 when I plug my multimeter up to it

Okay I should still get one anyways, I'll order one. What tests do I need to do for the starting issue? I'm thinking it just doesn't have enough power sometimes, like I just tried with a battery charger set on low and that boost helped it start right away....

Here's some videos
This is still with the 16 voltage battery
https://youtu.be/BqI3MwGi3EQ
This is with a jumper just to show it does start and what it sounds like normally.
https://youtu.be/miH6d5OqEY0

Ryan Stecken said:
had the same issues with my XS 750 which was converted to your later transistor ignition.

1)check your battery voltage, if its under 12v you will not get proper spark.
2)thenI would check spark on all cylinders.
Do you have fat nice spark on all 3 cylinders?
3)if there is no spark on some of the cylinders I would cut a bit off the ignition cables (1cm) and then put them back into the spark ignition coil.
swap around ignition coils,check the plugs on the coils.

My issues were a combination of bad connections in the loom and a bad ignition box.
1 battery is has to many volts as I've been told...
2 I have spark, just not big and fat on 2 of them...
3 so you wanted me to cut 1cm off of the end under the tank? And then move the connections around, to test if one is bad?

Start by cutting off the end by the plug cap, they are usually worst. And replace that rusty apark plug..

Back
Top Bottom