www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

QUESTIONS ABOUT THE SITE? TROUBLE REGISTERING? ADMIN@DOTHETON.COM

Author Topic: Honda XL600R - DTRA race bike build  (Read 1278 times)

Offline Rat_ranger

Re: Honda XL600R - DTRA race bike build
« Reply #10 on: Sep 25, 2017, 17:06:29 »
That almost looks like a bike from mule.  I love the look of the champion seat, its a bit more work to uae but looks good.
Xs650

Offline Pinky23

« Reply #11 on: Oct 05, 2017, 18:50:51 »
Not much been happening over the last week because I'm still waiting on my yokes to be machined out which is holing me up on building the other parts I want to start working on because without the forks in the frame I can't really work out the geometry I want for the rest of the bike. So I've been playing on solidworks working out a rough idea for a new swingarm. I struggled to find any geometry set up advice anywhere and ended up messaging Survivor customs on instagram and fair play to him, he gave me some advice so hopefully I can use that as basic dimensions and then I can work from there.

Here's a couple of screenshots of the swingarm I'd like to build so hopefully I can get this moving in the next week. I'm going to convert the bike to twin shock because I like the old school look more and also it will let me run pod filters, which is a pain on XL's otherwise because the mono shock is so close to the carbs!​

Let me know what you think

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Offline Pinky23

« Reply #12 on: Oct 16, 2017, 17:52:47 »
Finally got my yokes back from the machine shop. I'm really happy the way they turned out

They will be cleaned up eventually but right now while I mock everything up I'll leave them and clean everything at the end. I got the yokes fitted and trialled the forks and I'm liking the way they look. I think when it's got the number board on it's gonna look awesome.

Fitted the wheel, used a standard spindle but it's not long enough now because the forks are wider than standard so it'll have to make a new spindle. I've ordered some high tensile EN19T bar.

I went to the national motorcycle mechanics show in Stafford this weekend and bought a tank it's of a K500 Kawasaki. I trialled it on the roller chassis, but I think it's too long and a little bit too big so I'm gonna look around for another one, at least I've got an idea and size to go off
I just couldn't help myself really to see where I was going.
I also checked the geometry of the frame while it was set up an the moment I'm pretty happy. I think it's pretty close to where I want to be. Hopefully soon I'll be able to start the real fabrication!

Offline Pinky23

« Reply #13 on: Nov 03, 2017, 12:21:38 »
I've had a quiet few weeks in the shed with not much going on since I've fitted the front forks but it's been time that I've spent trying to figure out a few things. Anyway got going this week with the exhaust. I have wanted to make a sectionalised exhaust for a while now so I already knew which direction I was headed. I have a standard exhaust already and I measured the pipes on that, 32mm OD out of the ports in to 42 OD from then on. Ports measure around 38 mm OD so I figured 38 mm tube would be spot on for what I wanted to do and would give them a chunkier look.

Started off by cutting a handful of pipe sections some with 10 degree cuts, some with 5 degree cuts, I hadn't pre drawn or calculated anything beforehand I just cut what I thought would work, I have done pipe fabrication in the past so I had an idea on what would work and what wouldn't. After cutting all the sections I deburred the edges inside and out.

Then I set to starting the mock up, I basically had 2 pieces of pipe roughly the same size with square cuts one side and 10 degree the other and I put them in to the ports as a starting point. Then I just held some tapered sections together and tried to gauge where I wanted them to go.

Once I was happy with that I just tacked a few pieces together, checked them and worked from there, one or two pieces at a time.

I repeated that for both ports and tried to get them to come close enough together that I could then join them together with a Y section. I tried to keep them the same length but without making them completely symmetrical which would have caused issues with the drain plug for the frame I couldn't so I used one more section on the left port than the right. I'm no exhaust guru but I cant see 15-20 mm making a massive difference and to be honest I'm not chasing all out power either.

I then set to making a Y piece, which I'd never made before! So basically I cut 2 pieces of tube the same length had a guess as to where to cut them and attacked with the grinder! Apart from a quick clean up with the flap disc they literally fitted together as you see in the pic. I don't know if it would happen like that again but it worked out perfect.

Offline Pinky23

« Reply #14 on: Nov 03, 2017, 12:23:25 »
I did all this in about an hour and a half one night then came in the next night and decided it could be better so I took some of it apart and re-worked it. I was happier the second time around so I set to the welding! I've still got a few things to add but this is where I'm up to on the pipes. I'm not 100% happy with the welding but this is a race bike after all, and I am probably just being picky.

If anyone wants to keep more up to date on the build or other things I am building/working on the have a look at my instagram @pinkyscustomfabrication