www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

QUESTIONS ABOUT THE SITE? TROUBLE REGISTERING? ADMIN@DOTHETON.COM

Author Topic: Dans CB350 Cafe build - first bike and build  (Read 2949 times)

Offline Integra99

Re: Dans CB350 Cafe build - first bike and build
« Reply #10 on: Sep 26, 2017, 10:45:05 »
Sounds like you are on it, I'm subscribed.. .. You will be finished before my current project by the sounds of it.

Are you uprating the shocks at all? riding position?

Offline Danw8976

« Reply #11 on: Sep 26, 2017, 10:52:41 »
For the time being i wont, i figure if i get the frame style the way i want then strip clean and paint everything, build it back up with mainly styling mods i can get it running ride it for a little while and see how the ride and positioning is like then replace and adapt as needed.

Offline jpmobius

• DTT BOTM WINNER
  • where does this go?
« Reply #12 on: Sep 26, 2017, 11:20:38 »
Before you go any further, reassemble the swing arm and rear wheel.  Take the spring off of one of the shocks and put it on the bike, or put it on the bike with the spring and compress it completely with a ratchet strap until the rubber bump stop is compressed.  Then see how much clearance you have between the hoop and the tire.  If you don't plan on any sort of fender (and you'll wish you had one as you gain experience riding) you need at least 1/2" of space.  It is hard to tell from the pics, but I'd guess your tire will contact the hoop before it runs out of suspension travel, which means you will have to cut it back off and reconsider your engineering.  You should also keep in mind any rim/tire/swing arm changes you might plan to make as this will obviously impact the situation.  In fact, experienced folks get all those sorts of things sorted out and mocked up before doing any welding on anything.
Mobius

On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero.

1973 RD350 Yamaha build  http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=66498.0

Offline Integra99

« Reply #13 on: Sep 26, 2017, 11:43:29 »

Yeah I'm afraid thats correct.. what he said, it sounds like you are already going for it but its really key to make sure the bike handles.. its why I mentioned..  the main function of a cafe racer is taking a stock bike and making it perform better the the original.

Offline 540Nova

« Reply #14 on: Sep 26, 2017, 11:55:04 »
I hope the hoop photo isn't of the finished welding job. It's not done.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Offline Danw8976

« Reply #15 on: Sep 26, 2017, 18:38:14 »
No,  obviously not the finished weld.
« Last Edit: Sep 26, 2017, 18:42:12 by Danw8976 »

Offline Danw8976

« Reply #16 on: Sep 26, 2017, 18:41:30 »
Before you go any further, reassemble the swing arm and rear wheel.  Take the spring off of one of the shocks and put it on the bike, or put it on the bike with the spring and compress it completely with a ratchet strap until the rubber bump stop is compressed.  Then see how much clearance you have between the hoop and the tire.  If you don't plan on any sort of fender (and you'll wish you had one as you gain experience riding) you need at least 1/2" of space.  It is hard to tell from the pics, but I'd guess your tire will contact the hoop before it runs out of suspension travel, which means you will have to cut it back off and reconsider your engineering.  You should also keep in mind any rim/tire/swing arm changes you might plan to make as this will obviously impact the situation.  In fact, experienced folks get all those sorts of things sorted out and mocked up before doing any welding on anything.

Thanks for the advice. I've just painted the frame but once it's properly dry and I've got the new tyres mounted I'll give it a go.

Offline Danw8976

« Reply #17 on: Sep 26, 2017, 18:46:56 »
Welding finished and frame painted. Tanks also been stripped, braised a few pin holes and sealed with tank liner and primed  ready for paint tomorrow.

Offline 540Nova

« Reply #18 on: Sep 26, 2017, 20:45:06 »
You're not wasting any time!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Offline C-DUB_07

« Reply #19 on: Sep 26, 2017, 21:57:57 »
I'll watch where this goes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
'79 GS750