www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

Author Topic: 1983 Kawasaki GPZ 550  (Read 1053 times)

Offline japstar

Re: 1983 Kawasaki GPZ 550
« Reply #10 on: Oct 12, 2017, 08:06:34 »
brackets have been made! Gonna take some photos this evening of the progress. I may redo the seat pan, I have plenty of plastic left. I wanna make space for a passenger if need be... but cover it with the cowl most of the time.

hard to figure out how to get the battery on there and have someone safely sit ON TOP of the damn thing.

OH! OH! ALSO! just discovered a ninja 650 rear shock fits (but it's a lot shorter) gonna try and get a used VERSYS rear shock because it's a bit longer and I don't have to custom fab a new dogbone to raise the bike up.

Maybe I don't have to buy an expensive ass rear shock and can use a modern sportbike shock. the CBR959 shock also fits and has significantly less travel which is actually what' im going for (this is a road bike for weekend track days and cruising around town with the local vintage club)
Why do you want a new rear shock?
GPZ550 cafe racer http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=69514.0

It ain't about showing up on a bike that the loan officer at your bank, or your parent's inheritance bought for you. It's about skinning your knuckles, straining your back, developing some blisters on your hands, breathing varsol and paint fumes,taking measurements and making mistakes.
It's about standing back, after the dust settles, and being able to say when people ask, "I BUILT it!"

Offline doctorcat

« Reply #11 on: Nov 15, 2017, 19:08:24 »
the factory one has not one but TWO coil "helpers" to keep it from collapsing on itself. It's basically not a shock at all, it's just a rock hard spring.
The forks look like they can be rebuilt, but the stock shock never was meant to be re-buildable. I could have it gutted and revalved, but a new one from YSS custom built to specs is just as expensive.

Haven't done a lot of work on the bike in a couple weeks. Been busy with 80hr weeks at work and only 1 day off out of every 7 I use to sleep. Sleep is the only thing that gives me pleasure right now :-x

Here's what I did last:
Mockup of the bike, with the headlight shell, so I can get a sense of what "complete" looks like at this stage.

deciding to make the seat longer. I'd like the option of a passenger, even if it's a ride around the block. hiding the battery and electronics just got a lot harder. I *DID* grind the tabs off from the old factory stuff so I can make something new on my own.

The view out of the window... KODAK city!

happy winter, y'all. We just got our first snow, but it didn't stick. Bikes are put away, and I'll be putting around on the ruckus when it's not icy.

Offline japstar

« Reply #12 on: Nov 16, 2017, 07:45:51 »
What's a coil helper?

And you can open u the stock shock, clean it and put new oil.
It's designed voor de bike's stock weight. If you trash some parts and lower the weight, the shock is already very good.

And I like the color of the bike altogether :)
GPZ550 cafe racer http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=69514.0

It ain't about showing up on a bike that the loan officer at your bank, or your parent's inheritance bought for you. It's about skinning your knuckles, straining your back, developing some blisters on your hands, breathing varsol and paint fumes,taking measurements and making mistakes.
It's about standing back, after the dust settles, and being able to say when people ask, "I BUILT it!"