www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

Author Topic: 3DogNate's '05 H-D Sportster Scrambler build - AKA "Project Dual-Sportster"  (Read 5146 times)

Offline 3DogNate

• DTT BOTM WINNER
  • "You Meet the Nicest People on a Honda"
Re: 3DogNate's '05 H-D Sportster Scrambler build
« Reply #10 on: Oct 10, 2017, 17:42:36 »
Happy to join the fun.  I've never been of the HD ilk, but this Cycle World article about the El Solitario builds that came out this summer really shows the potential in these...

https://www.cycleworld.com/el-solitario-desert-wolves-custom-harley-davidson-sportsters-desert-adventure?src=PPC1&dom=fb&con=Keywee&lnk=FB14&kwp_0=535195&kwp_4=1949429&kwp_1=817300

It's unfortunate that people that can't buy into "Harley Culture" dismiss their bikes. You can enjoy a Harley-Davidson without being a Biker. They are absolutely wonderful motorcycles. The Evo Sportster is bullet proof, nimble, with a  little effort can be really quick.  My 2017 Road Glide Special is a spectacular touring bike.

But follow along... this build will be fun...

Offline SONIC.

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Reminds me of...me No, I'm sure of it. I hate him
« Reply #11 on: Oct 10, 2017, 18:04:15 »
I like it.
I'm in.

I agree on the culture crap, but hey they brought it on themselves.

Offline 3DogNate

• DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #12 on: Oct 10, 2017, 18:55:32 »
I like it.
I'm in.

I agree on the culture crap, but hey they brought it on themselves.
Well, to be honest with ourselves...  they have built one hell of a brand name.  They don't mind a little dissing from the Never Harley crowd.

Offline irk miller

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
  • You've been mostly-dead all day.
« Reply #13 on: Oct 10, 2017, 19:43:43 »
Dude, seriously?  I'm not against HD.  I just don't like the style of most Harleys.  I don't like V-twin Ascots.  Does that make me part of the Never Honda crowd?  I don't want to pay what people want for a Harley.  I could give a fuck about Harleys or Harley culture.  Have fun building your half ton Scrambler.  Dammit.  Now I regret joining this thread.

Offline 3DogNate

• DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #14 on: Oct 10, 2017, 19:56:29 »
Dude, seriously?  I'm not against HD.  I just don't like the style of most Harleys.  I don't like V-twin Ascots.  Does that make me part of the Never Honda crowd?  I don't want to pay what people want for a Harley.  I could give a fuck about Harleys or Harley culture.  Have fun building your half ton Scrambler.  Dammit.  Now I regret joining this thread.

I love all motorcycles... Honda, Triumph, Yamaha, Ducati, Harley, Indian, Moto Guzzi, Suzuki, BMW, Kawasaki,Norton, BSA... I can get on board with bashing Russian, Chinese and Korean brands though... they haven't gotten their shit together.

After my CB360 build... I'm offically in the Never CB360 crowd...

Offline 3DogNate

• DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #15 on: Oct 10, 2017, 20:17:26 »
Fork Sliders are cooking... can't wait to see how this bronze powder turns out.

Offline irk miller

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
  • You've been mostly-dead all day.
« Reply #16 on: Oct 10, 2017, 20:27:33 »
I love all motorcycles... Honda, Triumph, Yamaha, Ducati, Harley, Indian, Moto Guzzi, Suzuki, BMW, Kawasaki,Norton, BSA... I can get on board with bashing Russian, Chinese and Korean brands though... they haven't gotten their shit together.

After my CB360 build... I'm offically in the Never CB360 crowd...
Haha.  I had to dive in for a second CB360, man.  I have a special hate for myself. 

Offline 3DogNate

• DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #17 on: Oct 10, 2017, 21:06:25 »
Haha.  I had to dive in for a second CB360, man.  I have a special hate for myself.

If you are in for that kinda punishment... you can hang around for a hopped up, not a chopper/bobber/brat/cafe Harley.

Offline 3DogNate

• DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #18 on: Oct 10, 2017, 22:07:13 »
So the fork sliders came out good... I did the sliders in bronze and did the caps in charcoal... I'll have gaiters on the bike so you'll not see the caps... but it's good attention to detail. The plan is to do the engine covers and rocker covers in the bronze with a little bit of charcoal tossed in... can't wait to see that all done.

Offline 3DogNate

• DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #19 on: Oct 11, 2017, 23:54:29 »
I finished disassembling the front end today media blasted the yokes, speedo-housing and riser clamps for powder coat. I'll get those done tomorrow after work. Oh and finished rebuilding the forks with the heavy duty Progressive springs. the new bars will be quite a bit  lower and forward than the old bars. I'm hoping that any extra wire length can be tucked away. if not I'm going to have to do a good bit of wire shortening, not a big deal but hours boring work.  Discovered just how filthy the carb was on this thing too... (outside). I'm shooting to have the suspension, front end and wheels done asap so that stuff will be done before it gets cold. I'll work on fabricating the rear end and tins over the winter along with motor work. BRAAAAAP!