3DogNate's '05 H-D Sportster Scrambler build - AKA "Project Dual-Sportster"

3DogNate

"You Meet the Nicest People on a Honda"
So I sold off my BMW R75 and I scored this really clean and good running 2005 Sportster for a really great price (below trade val) with a bunch of extra seats, bags and stuff. After I sell off the stuff I'm not going to use this donor will be downright cheap. Now... I'm a fan of the Sportster as a platform... I've built hard tails and cafe bikes so those are no bueno. I'm going to make this bad boy into a sweet scrambler.

This is what I brought home
Sportster beginnings by Nathan Noel, on Flickr

Here it is after some de-farkle-ing...
Sportster beginnings by Nathan Noel, on Flickr

Re: 3DogNate's '05 H-D Sportster Scrambler build

The plan:
My intentions are to make this guy a capable scrambler.... Here's a first pass punch list

Front End
* New Wheels
- Silver Excel Rims (18x3.5 Rear / 19x2.5 front)
- Stainless Spokes
- Charcoal Powder Coated hubs (new bearings)
- New Bearings

* Heavy Duty Progressive Fork springs
* Bronze Powder Coated Fork lowers
* Charcoal Powder Coated Triple Trees
* Short Risers (charcoal)
* Relocated Speedometer (RSD Cafe Mount)
* Bronze Headlight bucket (LED headlight with integrated LED Turn signals)
* Tracker Bars
* Stock Controls
* Gaiters
* Dual purpose tires

Rear End
*15" Hagon shocks
* Chain Drive
* Modified fender
* Custom seat
* Strut removal

Other
* Mid Controls
* Peanut tank
* Bronze and Charcoal engine powder coating for a dark look but NOT BLACK
Spring
* New paint TBD
* RSD Scrambler exhaust (Or custom if i can muster it.)

* If I can tackle the engineering I would like to add adventure bike style aluminum or pelican pannier bags.

Custom fabrication where ever I can fit it in

sweet. im in

I scored a good front hub off ebay and cleaned it up and powdered it in the Charcoal PC and installed new bearings. This will be the minor color in my two color powder coat theme... (along with some stock black that I don't plan on changing out. Rear hub should be here Tuesday, I'll get it rebuilt and call up Buchannan and order my hoops and spokes and get the wheels off to my lacing guy so I can get the wheels done. I've had to add a new chock to my lift to accomodate the sporty, i've gotten along with other bikes with center stands up to now... the Harley is a little harder to deal with on the lift. the new chock does a great job though.

Powder coated sportster hub by Nathan Noel, on Flickr

I started the breakdown today... gonna try to get the front end broken down and rebuilt this week... lot of powder coating to do. Cables are in good shape, they'll need to be shortened though

Underway... officially by Nathan Noel, on Flickr

Me 2.....

Nice bike to start with..............

This should be interesting.
I will be watching.

I broke down the forks last night. I'll blast and powder coat the sliders tonight and get those rebuilt. I stopped by my wheel guy's shop and ordered the Excel hoops and spokes. I decided to go with Metzler Tourance tires for a bad ass looking, good all around tire with a preference for the road. Should have those built in the next week or so... he's crazy fast. I gotta get my hubs to him in the next couple of days.
Forking around by Nathan Noel, on Flickr
product_sheet_tourance_460x500_jpeg.jpg

irk miller said:
Happy to join the fun. I've never been of the HD ilk, but this Cycle World article about the El Solitario builds that came out this summer really shows the potential in these...

https://www.cycleworld.com/el-solitario-desert-wolves-custom-harley-davidson-sportsters-desert-adventure?src=PPC1&dom=fb&con=Keywee&lnk=FB14&kwp_0=535195&kwp_4=1949429&kwp_1=817300

It's unfortunate that people that can't buy into "Harley Culture" dismiss their bikes. You can enjoy a Harley-Davidson without being a Biker. They are absolutely wonderful motorcycles. The Evo Sportster is bullet proof, nimble, with a little effort can be really quick. My 2017 Road Glide Special is a spectacular touring bike.

But follow along... this build will be fun...

I like it.
I'm in.

I agree on the culture crap, but hey they brought it on themselves.

SONIC. said:
I like it.
I'm in.

I agree on the culture crap, but hey they brought it on themselves.
Well, to be honest with ourselves... they have built one hell of a brand name. They don't mind a little dissing from the Never Harley crowd.

Dude, seriously? I'm not against HD. I just don't like the style of most Harleys. I don't like V-twin Ascots. Does that make me part of the Never Honda crowd? I don't want to pay what people want for a Harley. I could give a fuck about Harleys or Harley culture. Have fun building your half ton Scrambler. Dammit. Now I regret joining this thread.

irk miller said:
Dude, seriously? I'm not against HD. I just don't like the style of most Harleys. I don't like V-twin Ascots. Does that make me part of the Never Honda crowd? I don't want to pay what people want for a Harley. I could give a fuck about Harleys or Harley culture. Have fun building your half ton Scrambler. Dammit. Now I regret joining this thread.

I love all motorcycles... Honda, Triumph, Yamaha, Ducati, Harley, Indian, Moto Guzzi, Suzuki, BMW, Kawasaki,Norton, BSA... I can get on board with bashing Russian, Chinese and Korean brands though... they haven't gotten their shit together.

After my CB360 build... I'm offically in the Never CB360 crowd...

Fork Sliders are cooking... can't wait to see how this bronze powder turns out.

37625143371_675ca73fce_b.jpg

3DogNate said:
I love all motorcycles... Honda, Triumph, Yamaha, Ducati, Harley, Indian, Moto Guzzi, Suzuki, BMW, Kawasaki,Norton, BSA... I can get on board with bashing Russian, Chinese and Korean brands though... they haven't gotten their shit together.

After my CB360 build... I'm offically in the Never CB360 crowd...
Haha. I had to dive in for a second CB360, man. I have a special hate for myself.

irk miller said:
Haha. I had to dive in for a second CB360, man. I have a special hate for myself.

If you are in for that kinda punishment... you can hang around for a hopped up, not a chopper/bobber/brat/cafe Harley.

So the fork sliders came out good... I did the sliders in bronze and did the caps in charcoal... I'll have gaiters on the bike so you'll not see the caps... but it's good attention to detail. The plan is to do the engine covers and rocker covers in the bronze with a little bit of charcoal tossed in... can't wait to see that all done.

37367587890_bf93c08e1f_b.jpg

I finished disassembling the front end today media blasted the yokes, speedo-housing and riser clamps for powder coat. I'll get those done tomorrow after work. Oh and finished rebuilding the forks with the heavy duty Progressive springs. the new bars will be quite a bit lower and forward than the old bars. I'm hoping that any extra wire length can be tucked away. if not I'm going to have to do a good bit of wire shortening, not a big deal but hours boring work. Discovered just how filthy the carb was on this thing too... (outside). I'm shooting to have the suspension, front end and wheels done asap so that stuff will be done before it gets cold. I'll work on fabricating the rear end and tins over the winter along with motor work. BRAAAAAP!

Back
Top Bottom