CB750 No Plunger Hellride Freedom Machine

Re: CB750 No Plunger Hellride

Ryan Stecken said:
Hey irk!May I ask how did you get that nice tank to fit?did you cut out something on the bottom and weld something back in like on the BMW build?

thanks
Because it's a chopper frame, it pretty much just fit. The XL frame it came off of basically has the same spine.

Local guy was selling a HD and 72 XS tank fit cheap, so I picked them up to test out...

HD tank doesn’t look bad at all...

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Attachments

• IMG_0743.JPG
    IMG_0743.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 242

That Harley tank does fit the bill. Still like the patina Honda one though

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I like that tank on your bike alot. Fits the lines well. I had another thought. I would go with a longer front end. Crazy maybe but , another few inches, it would sit the engine slightly more vertical and help with the ground clearance with the pipes. I like those with the leading axles you have, maybe drop triples for a different offset ?
It would also be rad.

Either way, I wanna see this one through. I dig your chop.

canyoncarver said:
I had another thought. I would go with a longer front end. Crazy maybe but , another few inches, it would sit the engine slightly more vertical and help with the ground clearance with the pipes. I like those with the leading axles you have, maybe drop triples for a different offset ?
It would also be rad.

It's possible that the forks are dropped an inch or two from the weight of the bike. I haven't gotten Doug to set these forks up for this bike yet, since I need to have it more compete to give him the weight. I've definitely noticed it drops under weight.

Something else I'm looking at, which may be too bulky, is this Paughco seat I got a good deal on...

77150-150418173221.jpeg

Man I love the lines on your bike, such a cool profile. Me I prefer the bobber-style seat pan more but yeah, my ass won't be sitting on it either :eek:

Haha. No comfort, no worries. I still plan to make a leather seat for it with the pan I made. It occurred to me the other night that the Softail seat might make sense on a GL I have stored away. We'll see.

Ha! No comfort, no worries - sounds like the mantra my wife and I lived by when we spent three summers living in our '78 VW camper van/mobile oven in Ibiza

A while back, I bought a CR500 front end specifically for a chopper build. It was my original intent for this build. Then I tried out the RM front and thought is was neat and different. Well, with a low clearance issue I decided to revisit the CR front end. Much better ride height and I think a better look...

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Attachments

• IMG_0879.JPG
    IMG_0879.JPG
    947.9 KB · Views: 238

What happened to the boxed plunger axle plates?

Redbird said:
What happened to the boxed plunger axle plates?
I swapped it out. I'm trying to make it as boring as I can. But seriously, they had an upswing I needed to sort out so I ended up re-doing the whole rear end altogether.

I did prefer how the Honda tank sat lower on the frame. But thats just me.

Its looking really good this way too.

trek97 said:
I did prefer how the Honda tank sat lower on the frame. But thats just me.

Its looking really good this way too.

We may go back. Lots of looking, fitting, and swapping still to come. I like the XL tank, too. This HD tank is a little more capacity and doesn't have the cutout meant for a carb like the XL tank.

But....But.... now it just looks like a chopper :-\

I know I suck. Gotta call it like I see it!

Back
Top Bottom