Ace 50 Slowverland trip. QLD > SA

eraser

So I just initiated a crazy plan. To buy a ace 50 from up in the Sunshine Coast, QLD Australia and ride it back to Adelaide, South Australia over 9 days (~2200kms).

Spare me from telling me I'm insane, i know this :p I'm flying up to get on the bike on Friday.

I have got a lot of back roads and other roads marked up to keep off the highways. With a town at most every 150 kms.

What I have got (or am getting) so far;

Foods
Water
Throttle lock
Motor Oil 1L (will check daily)
Bivy and air mattress (just in case)
Tiny stove and cup (just in case)
First aid kit (small)
Panadol, Voltarin, toiletries
Leather man
Gopro, Mobile, charger and power bank

Now what tools or parts (other stuff i have ignored) do i need at a minimum? (trying to keep weight down), keeping in mind i do have roadside assist for super unlikely things.

Thanks all,

Crazy Eraser.

Sounds like a nice ride. Lucky bugger!
Over that mileage you should give it an oil change. If it's second hand, I'd do one after pickup and another after 1000kms.

I'd also pack a few good metric ring spanners for the chain adjustment 8,10,12 plus axel nut (sorry can't remember size).

And of course don't forget to pack a BIG Smile!!

Re: Ace 50 Slowverland trip. QLD > SA

I dunno how you'll carry all that stuff plus your massive balls What an adventure ! I'd suggest you also carry a pre-gapped spark plug and plug spanner. Also give some thought to finding a way to carry as much stuff on the bike rather than just in a backpack. Your back will thank me Good luck !

Thanks guys ;) should be good ill video the trip.. and the getting ready :p and compile it later.

The Mariner, I was looking at your saddlebags from the dog saddle bags sweet, unfortunately i cant get these sent over in time. But Can you tell me what the width of the span is? (width of fuel tank) I did see these https://www.velogear.com.au/bicycle-accessories/panniers-bags/rear-pannier-bags/26l-pannier-bags-oxford.html , but I'm not sure is 140mm wide is wide enough, but im sure i could get them expressed out to me monday.

Great plan.

If it is new, be sure to get the dealer to:
  • Check the spokes are tight and the wheels are true
    Check nuts and bolts are tight according to the torque settings in spreadsheet below
    Check that the front pads are not rubbing on an out of true front disk (get them to push the bike along with engine off, you might hear scraping). If they are the disc may be out of true... warranty claim.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1USvziYIyzfyxfZA1YYpQf9eP4djb0GLWbvWcmME88Gk/edit#gid=230050893

Add a tyre gauge and perhaps a puncture repair kit.
Consider a slim magnetic tank bag. Some of them are double layered and carry heaps.

Morning routine....
Check head light, indicators, brake lights
Oil level
No foreign bodies in tyres
Tyre pressures
Lube the chain every 300-500kms

When you change the oil at the half way mark, consider doing the valve clearances.

Cheers
Richard

Howdy,

The ACE tank is about 200 wide at the front, tapering down to about 160 wide at the rear.

Tell you what... I'm in Adelaide too so if you'd like I'd be happy to lend you my saddlebag & you can either replace it with a new one (if you'd like to keep it) or just return it clean when you make it home.

If you want, PM me your details & we'll go from there. :)

The fuel reserve is set quite high . You will turn to reserve at nearly half a tank , so no need to panic . I also have a saddle bag and some spares that you are welcome to borrow . Location glengowrie .

An idea for small toolkits , remove the universal and shorten the handle .

Attachments

• 20171130_164931.jpg
    20171130_164931.jpg
    849.4 KB · Views: 316
Thanks for teh advice all,

Kit at the moment.

I will get some tyre repair goo, oil, chain lube up in QLD on pickup.

I do have a whoile lot of camping stuff but its comign in at around 4kg (light but bulky).. so i might just drop that out and rely on motels and cabins :p.

Attachments

• IMG_20171126_161100.jpg
    IMG_20171126_161100.jpg
    219.4 KB · Views: 317
Had the pleasure of meeting Eraser today & handing over the saddlebags. They don't hold heaps but every little bit will help.

I also suggested adding some upper cylinder lubricant into the fuel tank to help keep those little valves happy, so here's a link to a very interesting discussion on using TC-W3 grade 2-stroke oil for just that purpose. I've been using it in my cars & bikes for the last 12 months & have not noticed any problems.

Mix ratio for us metric folks is 1.5ml of oil per litre of petrol.

Good luck on your adventure...

I always carry a set of cheapo bicycle lights (the front one clamps on the handlebar and the rear clips on anything back there).

May not be legal but is certainly better than nothing if you have to be out late in the arse end of nowhere and a bulb goes, also means you have a torch anyway for those dropped key moments.

Have fun.

Richard.

And I thought riding my 250 single with panniers to ceduna and back to Adelaide was a big ride. Can I suggest a kidney belt . Just from experience . Vibration does your insides no good on long rides.. als an Adelaide ace rider

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Mariner said:
Had the pleasure of meeting Eraser today & handing over the saddlebags. They don't hold heaps but every little bit will help.

I also suggested adding some upper cylinder lubricant into the fuel tank to help keep those little valves happy, so here's a link to a very interesting discussion on using TC-W3 grade 2-stroke oil for just that purpose. I've been using it in my cars & bikes for the last 12 months & have not noticed any problems.

Mix ratio for us metric folks is 1.5ml of oil per litre of petrol.
Interesting article. I'll give it a go. Ask wife (nurse) to bring home a syringe for me that holds to 20ml. I normally fill after I hit reserve, which is 6ltrs. So I'll add 12ml when I get home. A great little can of worms, that one.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

All, thanks ;) leaving this friday, should be on it by 1pm and to the first destination 180kms away by 6:00pm hopefully.
I dropped all the camping equipment, and have a lifestraw incase i run out of potable water (doubtful) and a tiny metho stove I made from an old V can (pic attached) ;). Got a Bluetooth headset so i can listen to music or directions or cry to loved ones :p.

Mariner, Thanks I modded my tool roll (read: cut it in half with scissors) and it fits in one pocket of the saddlebag, so 2kg there. and then other pocket now has the first aid kit, poncho, hand warmers another kg or so there. Smart phone charger will fit in outside pockets and the lock on the other one, so a fair amount of stuff in it. :) I will also see if i can grab some cheap 2 stoke TC-W3 on my journeys, already need to grab some oil and chain lube and some tire goo maybe.

Orrible: thanks I am trying to to bring anything extra, but if i feel it after the first/second day I will go and grab one.

Anyone using a ram mount for their phone/GPS etc? If so where did you secure it?

Attachments

• methostove.jpg
    methostove.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 310
You will probably find that the new 'Ace' will get very hot after running for a few hours, especially at this time of the year.

Don't panic if it doesn't want to start after a fuel stop; give it time to cool down. It is probably a good idea to kick-start only as you are less likely to run the battery flat. If it's not going to start in a couple of kicks it's trying to tell you something.

If you're coming through the centre of Sydney I can probably assist with an oil-change and tappet adjustment etc. (will PM phone number).

Best of luck,
Crazy

good luck on Friday and don't be tempted to try riding near dark (morning or night) them roos/wallabies/wombats/echidnas/etc will see you as a challenge rather than a threat

and don't forget the bog roll

eraser said:
Anyone using a ram mount for their phone/GPS etc? If so where did you secure it?

Yes, using a Chinese knockoff and have attached it to the left hand front fork using one of the u bolts provided.
http://r.ebay.com/13lQvm

Attachments

• 20171125_132510.jpg
    20171125_132510.jpg
    6.4 MB · Views: 328
Back
Top Bottom