Kawasaki Zephyr

twade76

Hello All,

Been a while since I last posted, sold the old bike and started my own business so have been a bit busy.

Anyway, picked up a new project today. Got it very cheap so figured it was worth a punt, only problem is that it was a barn find so the owner didn't have much information on it. They are seeing if they can find the log book at the moment, but i'm having a bit of difficulty identifying the exact model, and specifically the engine size:

It's got an 'F' reg number plate, i've checked on askMID and it tells me that its a zr400 while the insurance comparison sites say its an en400. So, seems consistent on the 400cc part. I can find quite a bit of information on the zephyr 550's and higher (workshop manuals etc.) but nothing for a zephyr 400.

Any ideas?

Attachments

• 20180604_161503.jpg
    20180604_161503.jpg
    6.4 MB · Views: 275
check the cylinder casting. it will say the cc's on it somewhere

Spoke to my local kawasaki dealer, the frame and engine number say its a zr400 c1 which was a japanese import.

Same engine (apparently) as used on the zxr400 so should be fairly easy to get replacement parts for it, going to give it a proper once over this weekend to see what is needed.

No concrete plans yet, it was a spur of the moment thing, but really like the hell kustom kz550.

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 281
twade76 said:
Spoke to my local kawasaki dealer, the frame and engine number say its a zr400 c1 which was a japanese import.

Same engine (apparently) as used on the zxr400 so should be fairly easy to get replacement parts for it, going to give it a proper once over this weekend to see what is needed.

No concrete plans yet, it was a spur of the moment thing, but really like the hell kustom kz550.

Oh Yes !!!!!!

Right then, had a bit of time over the weekend to have a proper look. I had dropped a bit of oil into the cylinders a week or so ago to try and free things up cos i was worried about seized pistons.

Wanted to see what kind of state the engine was in so I took the tank and spark plugs out and drained the carbs. I had an old battery that still holds a bit of charge so I hooked it up, and it managed to turn over on the starter motor. All 4 cylinders where moving and there were no horrible noises, which is hopefully a good sign! Clutch and gear box seemed to work OK if a bit stiff.

Going to stick some new spark plugs in sometime soon and hook up a temporary fuel supply (tank is pretty filthy, not sure whether to replace or try and clean at the moment!) and see if i can get it started. I'm fine with most things mechanical but a big engine job will be a bit out of my comfort zone, so I'm hopeful that I can get it going without too much work.

Attachments

• 20180624_123232.jpg
    20180624_123232.jpg
    5.9 MB · Views: 248
Back
Top Bottom