Ignition switch delete, Honda CX500 (CDI)

hidn45

Hoping the magic smoke gurus can help me with this, or at least confirm my logic path....

The wiring diagram for my '80 CX500 Custom shows the keyswitch having 2 closed connections for 'on', & 1 closed connection (grounding the CDI) for 'off'. If I don't need the park or fork lock functions & am not concerned about the security aspect, is there any reason one cannot replace the keyswitch with 3 SPST toggles, wired in to the 6-blade connector where the keyswitch would plug in?

Thanks in advance for any insight the hive mind can provide....

randy

you can probably do it with 2 for power if you are keeping the kill switch it will shut the motor off

If you used a dpdt switch you could just have one?

Using opposite poles of the switch to toggle between ignition on and cdi grounded?

Steve

If I read the diagram right, there are actually 2 "on"s & an "off" when the key is in the 'run' position, so I guess you could double up 2 circuits on the one side. That's a great idea, that had never occurred to me, but it would certainly simplify things, & that's what I'm going for. I think I've got a DPDT laying around somewhere - I'll give it a try.... Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom