PID controller

1fasgsxr

Over 1,000 Posts
I need serious help setting up a PID controller to a heating element. I have looked and looked at these instructions and can't get the element to heat up. The controller is an Auber SYL 2352.
I have checked the element for continuity and it's fine. I have power to the controller and the ssr.
Anyone ever used these before? I know alot of guys use these for beer making.

Do you have your sensor set to the correct thermocouple? And do you have the polarity correct on your thermocouple connections? It will actually read backwards if it's not.

It reads and works like it should. I can rub on it and it warms. According to the directions I have it set correct.

Have you tried running it in ramp mode to test? One test I run on kilns is to run a single ramp to 9999. Set C01 to 80, then T01 to any number of minutes, like 10 minutes. Set C02 to 9999 , then T02 to 0. This just tells the controller to go full on. Then make sure the rest of the ramps are set to 0. Press down arrow for 2 second to hold, up arrow for 2 seconds to stop, down arrow for 2 seconds to run.

SSR (or other parts) could be blown. I've been blessed through my 38 yesrs in research to not have to use many PIDs (or their predicesor analog temerature controllers). I did work with many folks that did - enough to learn that even the best are crap. 75 gallon fibreboard drums full of discards at ORNL, and at my last employer a regularly ordered replacement part that we were in constant search for a more reliable unit. Some things that help them live - don't even come close to the SSR ratings with your load, add higher-rated (preferably mechanical) relays for the SSR to run. Put back-EMF diodes in the SSR output so that relays tapped in to the circuit and heater elements with inductance do not kick back and blow the SSR when turning OFF. Higher price never seemed to increase reliability for us. Omegas died just as fast as the off-brands.

Everything seems to be "on"... The light on the SSR that it supposed to be on when everything is good is nice and green. I had it set last night to what I think was ramp mode. the light on the SSr would come on then go off for a few seconds then back on for a bit etc etc. The light on the PID was coming and going just like the SSR was doing, which is supposed to be turning on and off...correct? Man this is way over my head ??? I should have stayed with the conventional oven...lol I will try to do what you suggest irk this weekend. I think it may be a matter of me not knowing how to operate the damn thing.

On many I've seen, they have a separate power feed for the SSR for the heaters. Instead of checking LEDs, you should use a DVM and check actual levels. (Careful, line voltage in places!)

I'm curious about this thing. Does it allow the user to adjust the gain, proportional band and dead band or is it all done within the box? We rarely use stand alone PID controllers anymore. Now we write code to control from a DCS or PLC logic. If a function needs to happen when automation goes down like firewater we use stand alone PID controllers. Heck I remember the days of pneumatic PID controls.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using DO THE TON mobile app

Yeah I can set those clem. The instructions for this little thing is about 5 or 6 pages. I may try to up load them to here if I can.

Sorry... that was misleading. What worked was posting the instructions on here. I am still at work so no progress on the oven.

So, do you have a SSR hooked up IAW 5.1? This controller will not power a heater, just operate a relay that powers one.

Back
Top Bottom