The Thunder Toad Cometh

Had to do a double-take there ... didn't think I had a bike seat in my living room today - we have the same area rug!

Looking good ... this weather does suck.

As an honest opinion, I'm not to hot on that seat. It could have been more aesthetically appealing if it was professionally done but I guess a seat is a seat haha.

Thanks for the honesty, it's always good to hear what people really think. That way you get good suggestions and know you deserve the positive comments.

I agree that it could be a bit tighter, but I'm pleased with it for a first go and I think it may grow on me. Once I get the rest of the bike together I'll evaluate the whole package, it may be that a big bench seat fits the end product. I'm also thinking of cutting the sides down and pulling the cover a bit tighter later on. At least there's a place to put my big ass for now. ;)

Bacon - no time like the present, I can't wait to see what you come up with.

this is the hide you went and picked up right? i hope to go with leather too but i'm worried about waterproofing. did you do anything extra for weather proofing since the toad lives outside?

dcwp said:
I agree that it could be a bit tighter, but I'm pleased with it for a first go and I think it may grow on me. Once I get the rest of the bike together I'll evaluate the whole package, it may be that a big bench seat fits the end product. I'm also thinking of cutting the sides down and pulling the cover a bit tighter later on. At least there's a place to put my big ass for now. ;)

Dude-electric turkey carver+ 5 mins + 3m Super Adhesive will fix that right up. My formerly fat seat:
IMG_0276.jpg

my slimmed-down seat:
009.jpg

seat I later built myself and am much happier with:
LM10-9-3.jpg

There's no secret science to it, just the right tools.

I used a rasp on my seat foam when I built my own seat a couple years back. Worked well for shaping.

pics20060702011.jpg

pics20060702014.jpg

i use the same thing when i shaped mine! worked awesome... i used "stuff" the spray foam to get the block then just shaped that to what i needed

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll probably do some reshaping in the spring, maybe even play with a new base shape since this one ended up a bit wider than it needs to be as well as taller.

For now, the seat is going to stay in my bedroom for the winter while I work on hiding electricals during the few warm moments left in the season.

As for weatherproofing, it's got a spray of waterproofer on it, but my shoemaker friend assures me that horse hide is far more durable than vinyl and will last longer anyway. To prove it, she gave me a scrap that I've got out on my patio absorbing all the weather that Michigan has to throw at it. We'll see what it looks like come spring.

JRK - are you saying your actual seat pad is made out of great stuff? Or that's what you used as a buck to form fiberglass? I didn't think that stuff was elastic enough to work as a pad, but maybe my ass is just too heavy.

Ah, got it. That stuff really is great. It's one of those things I make sure to always have around, right next to the duct tape, PB Blaster, and nylon zip ties. Everything else is just gravy.

It is spring in the north woods and all the familiar wildlife are returning to their routines. Meanwhile, the elusive ThunderToad begins to stir from hibernation.

Spring is the time when young ThunderToads awaken with visions of the open road where they can bellow their low, rumbling song. For one steel beast, this particular season is one of confusion and hope.

The mighty ThunderToad has awakened to the strange sensation of being suspended above the ground with no wheels. Odd as this feels, our hero quickly realizes that this can mean only one thing - the wheels are away getting new rubber! How exciting, and maybe just maybe, the wheels will have been blacked out with appliance enamel when they return. What great news that would be!

Inspired, the Toad begins to take account of these changes, and he notices a few other things.

Stock airbox removed
Pods installed in its place
Carbs rebuilt and rejetted

It looks as if somebody was taking care of our dear ThunderToad during hibernation.

The best part of all is the seat. When the Toad went into the long sleep, he was a bit sad because he'd gotten a custom seat that looked like a full diaper. To be honest, the Toad was ready for hibernation so that no female ThunderToads would see that thing for a few months. As luck should have it, the seat was rebuilt while the Toad slept.

All the foam was removed and replaced with a piece of camping pad
Seatpan was reshaped and reduced in width
Custom leather cover put back on

Sadly, the only human to witness this awakening was too stupid to charge the battery in his camera. This is the only known photo of the new seat and it seems to have been taken before the leather got its final glue-down.

0_1.jpg

The seat is still not perfect, but much closer to what the ThunderToad had in mind.

Many more changes seem to be brewing, let's hope that they will be caught on camera.

Give me more, I have been missing this thread! I love your documentary style narration! I read it in a David Attenborrough voice!

Thanks man, it feels great to be working again!

The next couple of months are going to be crazy busy for me, but hopefully I'll be able to snap some pictures as I steal an hour here and there for bike work. I'll keep y'all posted.

Dan

Thanks Man! Hopefully it'll get some running in soon to keep that tail trim. ;)

Speaking of these CM400s, I sort of dropped off the face of DTT last fall when the Toad went into hibernation. Have you made any progress lately? I'll be curious to see if you can get that glass piece to do anything useful. You're more creative than I am if you can make it work.

I've been mostly away from DTT as well, except for the occasional useless post in loungin. bike work has been slow, but i have emgo pods coming in the mail thursday, i repainted my tank, and cut a seat pan out of an old stop sign. maybe i'll get my act together and post an update soon. it's not likely though, as i just bought a new house and i'm redoing the bathroom, i've got a baby due in mid-May, and generally everything else in life is taking up time.
after looking at that glass piece a bit more, i'm not really sure how i'm going to use it. possibly as a belly pan or something else, we'll see

which jets ended up working for you?

Congrats on all the life changes! Sounds like you've got enough to keep you busy.

I won't be surprised if the glass doesn't work out for you, it was a pretty awkward piece.

As for jets, I'll actually have to look back at my notes. I think I went a single step up from factory, but honestly since I did it in the winter, I haven't had a chance to test it yet. I have a feeling there will be more tuning work to do once I get the body work put together.

I'll keep you posted.

Dan

Well I still can't find the charger for my camera, so no photos. Probably best anyhow as the bike doesn't look very interesting without wheels and stuff.

I got a box from DimeCity in the mail yesterday so I was hoping to mount up my new tail light and turn signals today. Signals went on no problem, but the tail light is another story. I've got to mount it to something and my fender still isn't right. I had it half ass mounted, but decided that it was ugly and might be too low anyway.

I've thought about dropping the fender altogether and going with a side-mount light, but I'm afraid that will look unfinished. Without wheels it's hard to get a feel. I've already hacked into my old fender so I'm thinking of cutting it down farther to get a better shape.

Any tips on cutting a fender so that it doesn't look like total shit? The cuts I made before I did with a cutoff wheel mounted to a drill and they're kind of rough. Can I just sand the edges to get them smooth? And there probably isn't any way to cut and preserve the chrome is there? Definitely not if it involves sanding.

On the positive side, I started messing with electronics. They'll fit under the seat very easily. In fact the metal mounting plate they're on almost fits as it is. I think I'll be able to just cut the edge of it and mount it right to the frame horizontally. Then it's on to the battery...

Hopefully I'll find that charger soon and get my wheels back this weekend.

Dan

Hey don't give up on the pain work just yet. I sanded my tank and painted it with $6 hammered finish spray can from walieworld. And I did all this for the same purpose as you: to learn more about body work and paint:

Here are some key things I learned:
1. Patience is of outmost importance.
2. It is all in the stroke. I am sure you have heard many time that it need to to be smooth and even, but it actually takes a lot of control
3. Temperature and climate conditions have a huge impact on the finished product.

You have already seen my tank: http://dotheton.com/index.php?topic=14828.0.

There are 6 coats of clear on this tank ($6 Duplicolor self settling clear coat from NAPA autoparts) all applied with 10 min intervals.

Back
Top Bottom