The Maine CB 360 Build

jayfromjay

If it don't hit the ton, well it aint no fun!
Just another thread for another build. Found this little scooter localy with a parts bike and a big ole box of stuff for $500.00. Bike runs just needs a little TLC. Have a bunch of 360parts for sale so shoot me a line with needs. It's gonna go cheap, I'm running out of room!

Attachments

• cb360.jpg
    cb360.jpg
    267.6 KB · Views: 232
  • parts.jpg
    parts.jpg
    250.4 KB · Views: 223
  • bikes.jpg
    bikes.jpg
    332.1 KB · Views: 243
Clean up and tear down.

Attachments

• 360.jpg
    360.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 237
  • 360tank.jpg
    360tank.jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 231
  • Bluetank.jpg
    Bluetank.jpg
    316.8 KB · Views: 226
As it turns out, I dont dig the paint job so that is gonna have to come back off. Oh well.

Attachments

• 360tank2.jpg
    360tank2.jpg
    193.4 KB · Views: 230
  • 360tankwhite.jpg
    360tankwhite.jpg
    175.3 KB · Views: 218
  • 360tankpainted.jpg
    360tankpainted.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 252
Got the foam for the seat yesterday and went to work getting it laid up and formed. This is pretty easy so far, with much better results than the way I did the CB400 seat. Tonight I sould be able to finish the plug, seal it up and lay some glass.

Attachments

• seat3.jpg
    seat3.jpg
    239.2 KB · Views: 226
  • seat2.jpg
    seat2.jpg
    226.7 KB · Views: 228
  • sEAT1.jpg
    sEAT1.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 218
This is gonna be a nice build.
I like the use of that foam and glue.
I haven't yet decide if I'll make my own seat and pan, but I'm stealing the seat forming idea...

by all means Cleon, i'm sure I saw it here on someone else build thread and after my first seat mock up this is far and away a faster way to do it. I like to use the stock seat pan for a number of reasons least of which is you know its gonna fit without having to frig around with mounts!

So today I'm shooting for glass on if the latex paint dries up and I dont change my mind to many more times. Also gonna try to get the Ninja 250 front end on as well. I'll post more tonight.

Attachments

• seat.jpg
    seat.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 222
  • seat2.jpg
    seat2.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 230
I agree with that, stock seat pan is likely the way i'll go with it.
If i can fit this 'Components Pan' I jumbled together with a stock pan, I'll opt for it.

Keep it comin!

I'm planning on being able to remove the fiberglass seat from the pan, so you would have all that room in the tail section to hide stuff, like nitrous!

Yes, there has been progress made. Backwards instead of forward but cool progress none the less. Was sick of working on a bench that was uneven and tipped towards the floor so the shed farmer know as Pure Lunacy came down with his saw, wood and a bag of screws and what started out as hanging a light became rebuilding a bench and making shelves.
With that done I set to work on mudding the tail section while he put risers on the Ninja. THEN we said what the hell, let's put a Ninja front end and rear wheel on a CB360. Stay tuned and see how this pans out!

Attachments

• shopbench.jpg
    shopbench.jpg
    255 KB · Views: 240
  • forkfitting.jpg
    forkfitting.jpg
    307.2 KB · Views: 232
  • rearfit.jpg
    rearfit.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 228
  • rearfit2.jpg
    rearfit2.jpg
    214.5 KB · Views: 207
While having a brain fart, I see there might be an issue with the wheel on the sproket side.

Will have to investigate in person to come up with a solution. I better get started now travelling to your area, it's going to take me a few hours....I'm taking the long scenic route!

As it turns out, jamming a 1989 Ninja fork assembly on a 1975 Honda is easier that you would think. Had the stock Honda upper bearing cup machined out to clear the Ninja stem, like an 1/8" and bam, done. The rear is a little more tricky but I'm close.

Attachments

• 360ninja.jpg
    360ninja.jpg
    252.1 KB · Views: 278
  • rear.jpg
    rear.jpg
    234.5 KB · Views: 256
Hey, thats exactly what I am doing to my CB360..I havent figure out how to install the rear wheel...Lets me know when you get it right! thank...here's a pic of mine as it stand right now.
IMG_2371.jpg

IMG_2369.jpg

To fit the rear wheel it's actually quite easy. The axles are pretty much the same and fit the bearings. So the 360 axle is used.

On the wheel the Ninja spacers are used, but on the brake bracket on the outside (towards the swingarm) you machine off 3/16" to move the wheel over to the right.

The chain adjusters are different thickness between both the CB & Ninja, the Ninja's being a bit thinner. So you use the screw/locknut set up from the CB on the Ninja chain adjuster. This gets the wheel centered within an 1/8 of an inch or less. If you used the whole CB chain adjuster set up, then it would be pretty much centered, but you'll have to take an 1/8" off the left side wheel spacer.

On the wheel you'll have to take the sprocket & mounting studs out to machine off 3/16" so the sprocket will line up with the chain run. To get more clearance between the sprocket mounting studs and rear shock, just used hardened, shouldered bolts.

The rest is easy welding on tabs to hang the braking system bits.

Yeah, like he said. But it looks like you are using bigger front end off a 600 or something? The rear wheel might be a different width. Looks good, I'll be checking it out!

Yup, he's using a Ninja 600 front end...yes the wheels are a bit wider.

Also, the axle is bigger dia, so that may cause an issue.

jayfromjay said:
Yeah, like he said. But it looks like you are using bigger front end off a 600 or something? The rear wheel might be a different width. Looks good, I'll be checking it out!
Which bike's tires and rim are you using?

Back
Top Bottom