1988 CBR600 cafe---waiting for winter tear-down--riding it now!

Re: 1988 CBR600 cafe---just the beginning.

I'm leery about the Danmoto stuff. For the $70 extra it would cost me to get a quality one, I'd rather not mess with it. I've built enough bikes on a budget (still am) to know what components I don't want to have to mess with anymore! haha. All said and done there was a KOSO gauge I didn't mind as much. Plus a guy near me has one for sale (still in box) for $225 Might be able to get him to $200 even and be good...we'll see how my impulse buying goes today...

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?aq=f&aqi=&q=KOSO+rx2&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=9283948001324534478&sa=X&ei=hbHoT4WOEofH0QGVzvGPCg&ved=0CG8Q8wIwAQ

Maritime said:
it's a honda so likely the same ratio as all the other bikes they have built for the last 30 years. Looking great BTW.

Cheers

Maritime.

Thanks man! To be honest I thought they were all over the place in ratio...no idea they were all the same. (I'm normally a kawasaki guy...)

Pretty sure they are all the same and the difference is the drive at the wheel. Each drive is for the correspending wheel diameter and front tire size native to the bike. I could be wrong but that is the research I found back when I had 3 fronts to choose from and 2 speedos for the 450. I managed to screw up and put the 19" wheel drive on the 18" wheel and throw my speedo even more out of whack than factory.

Cheers

Maritime.

Finding a headlight has been harder than previously thought as the forks on this thing are more raked than I thought, so I was looking for something larger to fill the space that the fairing would normally be in. Anyone have any thoughts on these.

http://www.amazon.com/Spyder-Auto-PRO-CL-7ROU-H4-BK-Universal-Projector/dp/B007AE0CWK/ref=sr_1_3?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1340733205&sr=1-3&keywords=7%22+black+headlight

I know they are universal, but could look pretty cool. I would bend and weld up my own headlight bucket for one of them. The only thought is that they say they are for the "right and left" side. Not sure if they mean literally as in (duh) you put one on the left and one on the right. Or if they are directional with the pattern of the beam, which would NOT be good for what I want to do. Anybody got a 7" headlight they want to sell and ship to me? Preferably black or silver (not chrome)

Well, I found something new so it had good light output, newer bulbs etc. Thought it would be smaller, so I'm pleasantly surprised at it's size. From a Victory Vegas 8-ball. I like the style and I'm happy with it. If anyone is looking for a super large headlight, a 1982 XJ650 has the biggest headlight I've seen in person! (saw one at the motorcycle shop when I was buying new gloves for the lady)

Also picked up this KOSO RX-2 gauge for $200 which I thought was a steal, only had to ride 100 miles to get it bummer eh? ::). Still in the original packaging, wiring, magnet sensor all there! Saw these online for $350! This lights a fire under my butt now since realistically I can get these on and test ride it!!! Got a wedding today so that won't happen, but soon..... 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Roll of painters tape to show size.
16Headlightandgauges.jpg

Here it is all laid out. Stoked because a lot of the annoying wiring is done..and I got a gauge and speedo bracket already in the kit!

17Headlightandgauges.jpg

just found this. tuned in again to one of your builds. can't wait to see the results.

Thanks DCM. I'll have some more updates today, painted the headlight bucket (just primer for now for looks) I've got to find a way to mount the gauges for test fitment. So far so good!

What's the seat height now? Just asking because I see where the stock seat used to cozy up to the tank and it looks like it was probably a few inches higher. it's worth checking to make sure it's not too low in relation to the pegs. Too low and your legs are too bent and that cuts off circulation....

Good eye sir. Yeah it's too low at this point. I did that on purpose, since this time I'm going with quite a bit more padding for the seat. The lady can't ride the other bike for long distances.... she's shorter than I am, so it's all good for her anyways! Plus I'm not that big of a dude at 5'7" I learned all about springs and such for rear shocks when I bought the Aprilia...it was setup for a 240lb man...of which I'm only 160 lbs of awesome. Hit a bump and the back end shot up about 6 inches when I first got it. Pics shortly. (as in 10 min or less)

Edit: Here we go.

18Headlightandgauges.jpg

19Headlightandgauges.jpg

Now to the fork seals that came with the bike! Always love to save a buck!
20forksealreplacement.jpg

One fork down...one to go in this first pic..
21forksealreplacement.jpg

Back on the bike, and I'm just now noticing that they are the only thing on the bike that was painted black...odd if you ask me. I put the clip-ons below the top triple clamp for now, as I think this will help with aesthetics. Not sure if it will help comfort... ::)

22forksealreplacement.jpg

Have a wonderful 4th gents!! Watch out for bad drivers...

Back together, got the gauge on there too, it may or may not stay there where it is. Hard to see in the pic, but it's kind of "flat" above the headlight. Do you guys hate the placement of the headlight? I'm getting some negative feedback from the wife...ha!

22headlightplacement.jpg

I'm hoping to find some sort of pigtails I can hook up the headlamps as they are from that victory vegas 8-ball. I'll have to see what bulbs they are. Anyone know if I can just buy the plugs that fit in there?

I think that if there was a way for you to kind of tuck the headlight back a little bit more, It'd look better. More hugging/part of the bike less strapped on way out there danglin' in the breeze.

This thing is looking awesome.

+1 what he said. im going to tuck my light in more as well on my 88 ninja 750R when I work on the front.

The headlight seems to float all by itself. I'm not certain in a good way. It seems a bit disconnected to me, but pictures lie all the time so maybe it's just me?

If you are going to white out the rims then ignore my comment.

MotorbikeBruno said:
Back together, got the gauge on there too, it may or may not stay there where it is. Hard to see in the pic, but it's kind of "flat" above the headlight. Do you guys hate the placement of the headlight? I'm getting some negative feedback from the wife...ha!

yeah i didn't want to say anything negative, but the headlight looks kinda funky. hack about 2" or less off the back and really push it back. thats my opinion.

Yep. Light needs to go back or put ears to mount it so it doesnt look like it floats out front all alone. Good progress though

Sent from my MB525 using Tapatalk 2

Great, I appreciate the feedback. I'll have to find some ears/a method to put that headlight closer in, and maybe a little lower too...It's a bottom mount headlight, so it's a tad more tricky than just slapping some ears on there.

I'll get on to that today gents. Bought a battery too so I could start wiring up the gauges 8) 8) 8)

For now, rims are staying red because I'm lazy and really hate painting rims. Instead I went with a $5 red spray paint to add to the tail and tank...ha. I'll get it professionally painted when there's downtime and more money in the future.

Back
Top Bottom