1968 Suzuki T500 Cobra

Not just yet, I'm afraid. I had to lay out a good chunk of cash for my business and so this project is on hold for the next few months. I'm aiming to resume work in March or April.

Sonreir said:
Not just yet, I'm afraid. I had to lay out a good chunk of cash for my business and so this project is on hold for the next few months. I'm aiming to resume work in March or April.

Thank you I got one and am looking forward to progress ,also i need a seat or seat pan in case you have any .

Getting some more work in on this bad boy.

Front hub is cleaned up. Probably tackle the rear this weekend.

Attachments

• 20190516_151519.jpg
    20190516_151519.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 557
  • 20190516_165009.jpg
    20190516_165009.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 564
Hi Matt,
What Teazer is talking about is a propensity for the Cobra front brake drum casting to crack. Usually a good visual inspection will reveal any cracks, but a dye penetrant test might be a good idea if you see any suspicious areas.
Don't confuse "chill cracks" with an actual crack in the casting - little wrinkles in the diecast hub that don't affect anything
The five hundred's hub is a little on the light side as far as mass and this may contribute to the cracking that's been seen in these hubs, when they've been used hard.
Also what has been noticed with these hubs is an out of round condition on the drum and / or the shoes only contacting the drum for just part of the shoes' area (only 30% reported in one case), which results in overheating the hub, contributing to the cracks.
The smart guys that run these things get the drum trued up in a lathe and the shoes relined and arced to match the drum diameter.
Haven't done any Cobra stuff yet but did a couple of Honda and Yamaha drums over the winter and OMG how out of round they were.
If you can't find anyone in your area that does this stuff, PM me and I"ll give you a contact in the Toronto area whose work I am satisfied with.
The ultimate would be to get the wheel all laced up and then have the drum turned for true, but a lot of money and I don't know anyone who does it anymore, so I do the best I can.
Pat

I don't see anything out of the ordinary. The braking surface looks smooth and solid all the way around and I don't see any issues with the aluminum.

Back
Top Bottom