And then there were two.. 1976 GT250 Rebuild

grcamna5 said:
it sounds like one frozen muth'a

Yeah, one thing is for sure, it wouldn't have fallen out going down the road =)

A little more polishing, tonight's culprit being the headlight. Turned out pretty nice.

Before
ba596fe336456d49fe8f5ba527b1306f.jpg

And after.
11802735e128febef20f692766e2ba84.jpg

d511016d270801429bac7d5e1d57431a.jpg

871ce06e8dcff17d58b776e688e77bc6.jpg

grcamna5 said:
The chrome on your steel headlight shell is still good 8)

Yeah, before the poor ol bike sat in the shop for the last few years, all the chrome was Very nice. Just has a little rust coming through, but its all coming out pretty nice =)

Oh man, that headlight looks great! I love when that happens. I use a product called Nut Scrub, made by, wait for it...... Beaver. True story ;D. I use it on everything. Paint, chrome, glass, and even vinyl. It makes stuff look almost as good as your bucket. Good job :)

interceptor said:
Oh man, that headlight looks great! I love when that happens. I use a product called Nut Scrub, made by, wait for it...... Beaver. True story ;D. I use it on everything. Paint, chrome, glass, and even vinyl. It makes stuff look almost as good as your bucket. Good job :)
Thanks man. Ridesolo helped me out with a little magic stuff that really helped clean up the chrome. A little aluminum foil and a magic bottle of awesome cleaner makes short work of it. I probably had all of 10 minutes in that head light. I was going to look up "beaver nut scrub", but I was to afraid to....

hurco550 said:
Thanks man. Ridesolo helped me out with a little magic stuff that really helped clean up the chrome. A little aluminum foil and a magic bottle of awesome cleaner makes short work of it. I probably had all of 10 minutes in that head light. I was going to look up "beaver nut scrub", but I was to afraid to....

That's one great looking headlight. What do you think? Should I put of a thread about the story of the "secret elixir" chrome cleaner or do we just keep it to ourselves for a while? ;D

ridesolo said:
That's one great looking headlight. What do you think? Should I put of a thread about the story of the "secret elixir" chrome cleaner or do we just keep it to ourselves for a while? ;D
Haha thanks man. That's up to you, I say share the love though. And if you do feel free to grab some pics off of this thread

I've always enjoyed using the older bikes steel headlight buckets;they are tough and don't crack like plastic.

grcamna5 said:
I've always enjoyed using the older bikes steel headlight buckets;they are tough and don't crack like plastic.
What I had never noticed though is how selective they are with where that put the "finish" chrome. Wherever the part isn't in a direct line of sight, the plating is much more dull. I'm sure it was just a cost savings thing, I just hadn't realized it before. The rear fender was the same way.

Thats true, never thought of that either. Its not nut scrub. Thats the handcleaner. Its called `buffy`. Sorry ::)

Out with the old, in with the new.... or new old stock I guess haha either way I now have shiney shocks =)

ae203b5a7a57a98595f7366660e36f43.jpg

1d231cde2b8c5f794af9c124d4eea5cf.jpg

3683cb1a298654fdea78a92697b0e548.jpg

Oh the worms are loose... Once you open the can of NOS worms you can never put em back man... The shocks look and are awesome though =)

Idk I haven't talked to him again. I still want it though haha

Tune-A-Fish said:
Oh the worms are loose... Once you open the can of NOS worms you can never put em back man... The shocks look and are awesome though =)
Haha this whole thing is a can of worms =) oh well

My fancy wheel polishing stand =)
77abf4bc8c03a50fd8ee8d66977ce82f.jpg

57574067f87663cd72388230e30a88dd.jpg

Getting closer to going vroom vroom all the time!
f14aeaead7774f5d06aeccb896f2b327.jpg

hurco, it's good to see this thread,we need more 250cc bikes in the USA;Europe and the rest of the World has'em.I like your shining classic Suzuki 8)

grcamna5 said:
hurco, it's good to see this thread,we need more 250cc bikes in the USA;Europe and the rest of the World has'em.I like your shining classic Suzuki 8)
Yeah man thank you! I found out more and more that great Britain has lots of em. That's probably why I've had to buy parts for it over there. I have never seen another 250 in person other than the ones I have bought. I read somewhere that back when these were built that the taxes were lower over in England for 2 strokes 250cc and under and that's why they were so popular over there.

SUCCESS! Big thanks to ridesolo for lending me an extractor. Had to drill the head out a little deeper to allow the extractor to go down far enough. Now they are actually apart so that I can change the seals out. I've got new hardware and copper washers on the way=)
77a0187cb58888b7fb0ac0dc5ab87e5b.jpg

ffce5db72fc30b2f71ef07bb6dbb8a3c.jpg

f3ee54bf06fa8af59bf600ae2773c2e5.jpg

That's a huge relief. Shouldn't be to long before I have a roller again!

Back
Top Bottom