Spark Plug Options?

Sonreir

Oregon
DTT SUPPORTER
OK.. so stock plugs on my Honda 360 are NGK B8ES.

I'd like to switch over to Iridium (personal preference) and go with a step cooler, so I'm trying to find out what my options are...

Preferably, I'd like to run with multiple side electrodes as well.

Anyone have some options for me?

Thanks in advance,
Sonny

So I've found BR9EIX which seem to fit most of the bill (still no multiground).

They're resistor plugs though and the B8ES are not. Any problem with that?

They should work fine. Try to get a set of plug caps without resistors, but they will still work well. I have those in the Phat Trakka and use them in a couple of race bikes.

In theory their advantage is long mileage, but where they shine is ability to light a less than perfect mixture.

You may ned up with a hotter plug as modern gas tends not to be as self cleaning as older formulations or race gas. We run D8's in one race bike on street gas and D10s when we shift to race gas. They burn differently and leave different deposits.

Sweet. Thanks, man. Just for clarification though... stock is B8 and I'm thinking B9. You think a further step hotter to B10 for my application?

Im running a B6ES in my 74 360. With pods and less than perfect fuel and mixture I wanted something that would burn. I havent been dispoint so far. I believe the B6ES is a resistor type plug.

B6ES would likely be way too cold for my engine. I've upped the compression and advanced the timing a bit. It's not a resistor-type plug though. NGK resistor plugs have the letter, "R", in them, before the number designation.

B6 runs HOT not cold, the numbers run opposite direction to Champion plugs
The Iridium are no good for you either, being resistor plugs (unless you use non resistor plug caps.
Main use for Iridium is the extra long service interval (100,000 miles)
Use NGK B8EG or EGV, they are fine wire 'racing' plugs

PJ is right of course. The point I made there was that 8 are fine for most use and rarely to do we go colder/harder unless I'm racing it and I stretch throttle cables on little bikes.

B6 is really hot and would probably work on an old engine that burns oil and isn't run too hard, but I'd stay with an 8. I think I still have the last box of D12s somewhere .........

I used to have a box of B77HC (Suzuki 'racing' plugs) ;D
I bought a couple of boxes of B9ES a few years ago, bike doesn't run hot enough to use them ::)

I haven't seen B77's for a long time. I just use iridium D8 or 9 plugs now....

B9ES would be a bit cold for the street but if you take the bike for a track day they might be OK. We used to buy up all the D10's we could find as long as they were only $1 a plug or less and gasket sets for a couple of bucks a set until all those Cafe Racer wannabe's came along and prices went up. ;-)

They fire under bad conditions. In other words when conditions are not perfect, a fine wire plug has a better chance of firing the plot and less misfires. One might speculate that an Iridium plug generates more power in that bike because it doesn't burn well. That could be a piston dome issue or a fuel atomization issue or something else.

Modified ignition probably had more to do with it than anything else.
A fine wire plug would probably do the same (I'll try it sometime when I get back to XS ;D )
I wouldn't use resistor plugs with stock ignition components

Back
Top Bottom