CB450 FOR SALE - Is this a good deal?!?!

FENIX

But it has slashed tires, about 5K miles on the engine, owner says it runs well . What do you guys think? Im thinkin its a little $$$, maybe $2500-ish is reasonable...

http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/mcy/4030117583.html

Thought please, I want to check it out...

That bike is not in "Excellent" condition. Seems to more in the "Very good" range. If it runs good. But how do you know that if it dont have blinkers and the tires are slashed. The clutch / transmission may be junk.

http://www.nadaguides.com/Motorcycles/1973/Honda/CB450K6-SUPER-SPORT/Values

Have you been watching what they are going for on ebay lately? And even then, just because they disappear from ebay dont mean they've actually sold.

However, in the end its up to you "the buyer"...If you think its worth $3500 or $1200, then thats what its worth.

Also, look close at the wire harness. If he completely mangled it by adding the turn signals, tail light, handle bars...twisting and taping wires and such. Also, whats hiding under those gators...rough and rusted fork tubes? The front and rear fenders has been modified and seat is replaced.

I would probably go a little higher on that bike, because its not a half done cafe abortion. It doesnt appear as though anyone has had a chance to really F things up on it to badly. That would make it worth a bit more to me, personally.

I dont know how far people are willing to go to sell something. Maybe he installed Leds on it couldnt get em working and removed em for the sell. Maybe the gears are junk so, slash the tires it cant be ridden. Only idled and revved.

Or maybe hes being perfectly honest.

Thanks for your input, its just that locally in NYC these things are ridiculously expensive, with the hipster craze and all...Ive been looking for a while, something in the $2000 range but people are asking a lot more....owner says it ride fine, I can always check it out...you said you would go a little higher, you mean higher than $2500?

NO, I mean higher like $1500. But you gotta do what you gotta do. Nobody will judge you. Just make sure you have enough left over for the things YOU want to do with it.

And maybe figure out how far you would be willing to drive in the opposite direction to get one. If you could get one for $1200 bucks a 3-4 hour drive may be worth it.

and yet another reason I have no desire to visit NYC.

I've shipped bikes all over the world with uship. I'm in Indiana and from here to Florida or California it usually costs $400-500 for shipping... You could always watch eBay and win a cheap auction and set up an account through uship to get it to you. Buying something 8 states away and taking someone's word for how its condition is just as risky as buying that one and only hearing it idle... I'm always honest in all my listings and most others are on eBay... I think you could buy a pretty nice bike on auction then just have it shipped to you... Like trek said. Maybe 1500 max but if you think it's worth the amount you offer and you're happy then it's all good. I've bought 3 of the 450's so far. All 3 far far less than what he's asking... Be patient and grab an auction within the next couple months, we're both northeast US, you'll be getting like 40"+ inches of snow over winter sooner than you think. You wont be riding much anyways this year.

I'm not sure if you are set on exactly what bike you are looking for, or if this one just suits your fancy, but the Barber's DO THE TON event is coming up soon in Birmingham, AL, and I think that would be a good idea for you. You can make a weekend hanging out with DTT guys, and network, and find some really cool, really good bikes for cheap. My buddy in Birmingham goes every year, and he says there are LOADS of bikes that you can pick up for $400-$500 and drive them away. If you take into consideration the price of traveling to Birmingham, the cost of the bike, and the cost of getting it back to NYC, you'd still come out cheaper than what you'd be looking at with THIS particular bike, when you take into consideration the cost($2500 which you seem to be willing to pay), plus another $250 for tires, just to be able to ride it.

Just a thought. And that's just my opinion. Good luck on finding and building the bike of your dreams. :)

That bike is insanely overpriced. $3500 is what you might get for a nice, 100% clean resto. That hack job might be worth $1000, and only if its running perfectly. I wouldn't spend more than $700 on it.

I know prices in NYC are nuts, so you'd be better off looking in North Jersey or Eastern PA. Anywhere outside of the city really. Lowes/Home Depot/etc. will rent you a pickup truck for $20 plus mileage. In the end you'll save a fortune avoiding the dbag sellers in town.

By the way... Is this the artist FENIX?

mark13018 said:
I've shipped bikes all over the world with uship. I'm in Indiana and from here to Florida or California it usually costs $400-500 for shipping... You could always watch eBay and win a cheap auction and set up an account through uship to get it to you. Buying something 8 states away and taking someone's word for how its condition is just as risky as buying that one and only hearing it idle... I'm always honest in all my listings and most others are on eBay... I think you could buy a pretty nice bike on auction then just have it shipped to you... Like trek said. Maybe 1500 max but if you think it's worth the amount you offer and you're happy then it's all good. I've bought 3 of the 450's so far. All 3 far far less than what he's asking... Be patient and grab an auction within the next couple months, we're both northeast US, you'll be getting like 40"+ inches of snow over winter sooner than you think. You wont be riding much anyways this year.

I have been looking at auctions, the only problem I have is not being able to see it in person and at least get a feel for what it is, rather than just look at it in pictures....but I do think you have a point, I can just wait and get something cheaper in decent condition...I cant seem to find anything local thats decent and reasonably priced... :mad: I may just wait it out..thanks

VonYinzer said:
That bike is insanely overpriced. $3500 is what you might get for a nice, 100% clean resto. That hack job might be worth $1000, and only if its running perfectly. I wouldn't spend more than $700 on it.

I know prices in NYC are nuts, so you'd be better off looking in North Jersey or Eastern PA. Anywhere outside of the city really. Lowes/Home Depot/etc. will rent you a pickup truck for $20 plus mileage. In the end you'll save a fortune avoiding the dbag sellers in town.

By the way... Is this the artist FENIX?

I think you may have the wrong FENIX... :) Im thinking I may wait and see if theres something better...prices here really are crazy...I figured just bite the bullet and start building the damn thing this winter, BUT it may be worth it to wait it out, thanks.

Matts69cbproject said:
I'm not sure if you are set on exactly what bike you are looking for, or if this one just suits your fancy, but the Barber's DO THE TON event is coming up soon in Birmingham, AL, and I think that would be a good idea for you. You can make a weekend hanging out with DTT guys, and network, and find some really cool, really good bikes for cheap. My buddy in Birmingham goes every year, and he says there are LOADS of bikes that you can pick up for $400-$500 and drive them away. If you take into consideration the price of traveling to Birmingham, the cost of the bike, and the cost of getting it back to NYC, you'd still come out cheaper than what you'd be looking at with THIS particular bike, when you take into consideration the cost($2500 which you seem to be willing to pay), plus another $250 for tires, just to be able to ride it.

Just a thought. And that's just my opinion. Good luck on finding and building the bike of your dreams. :)

I have my heart set on a CB450, actually, now that I think about it, I have seen some CL450s and besides the pipes and gearing and some aesthetics, what else is the difference, I should be able to build what I want with that also....I was at Barber last year, amazing experience....if you can make it, definitely worth the trip.... may wait to see what other bikes come up, thanks.

Back
Top Bottom