XS650 tracker budget (ish) build

chucker

So I finally landed a cheap XS 650, 1977. Came with a spare motor. Had to drive 8 hrs but WTF. It was only $100. Gonna build a cheap street tracker out of it.

DSC00513.jpg

DSC00508.jpg

DSC00521.jpg

She's rough but complete. Hasn't turned a wheel since 1988. Both engine turn over. First order of business is getting it running to check the engine out. No spark on left side, dead coil. Damn. Oh well, Pamco ignition it is...

NICE STEAL! Spare engine is worth $100 on its own. Those are the nice shouldered alloy rims, which fetch a pretty penny too (although brand new ones can be bought for $90 each now from MikesXS)

Welcome - any XS questions I can provide some help with - just 'finished' mine this past spring. Hope yours goes faster than mine.

http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=448

i wish i could find one out here for a reasonable price.. i always seem to miss the ones in my range.. cant wait to see what you do with it.

Installed the new Pamco ignition, wires, plugs and temporarily installed the coil. I'll make a better mount for it when it comes apart.
DSC00549.jpg

Got it running on 1 cylinder, right side carb is badly gummed up and flooding the engine. No real surprise, the carbs have to be cleaned anyways. Time for carb kits...at least I have spark on both sides now!
While the carbs are apart, my little shop helper polished the carb tops. She's a trooper.
DSC00542.jpg

Got my used tracker tail section and taillight in the mail yesterday, looks way different with it sitting on the bike. I also ripped of the "Purple Rain" handlebars and hucked my stock DR650 bars on. The stock tank looks like a sweater inside and both petcocks are ceized/leaking. Also didn't get a key with the bike so had the jimmy the gas cap. Pretty much trashed the cap trying to get in there. After considering the costs of new petcocks or even kits, the new gas cap, re-lining the tank and then paint, I decided to go with a new tank fro xsdirect. Should be here tomorrow. I'll snap some pics with the tail and new tank.

Chucker!

Did you get anything done today?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Shaner!

I got the carbs rebuilt yesterday and the new cap and petcocks on the new tank. Slapped it together and crossed my fingers. It runs awesome...on the left cylinder. Righ side is doing SQAT! I can even take the plug wire off, no change at all. Right pipe is cold. Yanked the plugs, checked for spark, both sides firing ok. Did a compression test, both around 110 psi. Hmm...Fuel spitting back through carby on right side, I put in new needles and seats and set the floats when I had them apart. I read about a collapsed inner header pipe on another board so I am in the process of removing the right pipe and inspecting. Aside from that, I may still have fuel issues but I kinda doubt it. I went through the carbs very carefully and blew each passage out with shop air after a good soaking in hot water with CLR. It's also possible I have the wrong plug wires on the wrong cylinders from my new dual output coil, so I will try that first. Will keep you posted. Also pics to come of tracker seat/tank combo...SEXY.....

just got in from the garage. I stuck an old clutch cable down the left muffler and it went as far as the cable. tried the right side, went 6". Took a flashlight and it's plugged solid. Took a piece of tubing and beat the crap (literally) out of the pipe. Tried the cable again and it went until the end of the headpipe where is hit soft rusty goo...explains why nothing is getting in, nothing is getting out!

hahahahahha. Gotta love working on old wreckers! Now to start it up again...

nah, I already tried. It's still too plugged up. I'll take the pipe off and try to clean it out as best as possible. I just want to get it running decent and make sure the engine isn't pooched. Don't really care too much as i'm planning on using Omar's dirt track pipes...a bit spendy but they look the part.

Insects and critter need homes too. It's not at all unusual on old bikes to find the exhaust full of mud from a wasp nest and the air filter shredded as a mouse nest.

Rebuilt an RS250 for a racer buddy a couple of years ago and the motor was partially stripped and full of corn bits and so was the single sided swingarm. Don't ask what that rebuild cost. :eek: :'(

yup, engines can cost big coin for sure. Glad I have a spare motor!

I decided to pull the pipe and check it out to be sure...a ton of rust came out while beating...ahem, removing the head pipe.
DSC00577.jpg

more rust and some water/fuel/spooge came out once removed.
DSC00574.jpg

oh boy...
DSC00575.jpg

Well, that explains everything...inner wall of the header is collapsed.
DSC00593.jpg

some pics of the new clothes...
DSC00572.jpg

DSC00564.jpg

DSC00563.jpg

more to come as things progress (hopefully), thanks for watching!

Yup...
http://www.omarsdtr.com/stmile.html

I found another guy that makes high pipes, but i'm trying to decide if I should have a crack at my own. I have a Mig and my brother has a Tig, so we should be able to cobble something together.

I decided to try and fire it up without the right header pipe on to see if all is well. I am happy to report I now have a burnt tie down strap due to rather large blue flames coming from the exhaust port. It's alive and well, no smoke or knocking noises. Perfect. Time to tear it down and de-tab the frame.

Nice! Looks good....

Just a reminder to take the shop towel of the intake before you rebuild :p

Glad to hear it's running!

I got out the trusty hacksaw and lopped off the rear hoop and the seat tabs. Tracker tail sits nice and low now.

DSC00597.jpg

DSC00598.jpg

DSC00609.jpg

Yeah, I know...Crocs are ghey...
DSC00610.jpg

Got my new Shinko 705's as well.
DSC00611.jpg

Those buns should look pretty cool on there... hopefully they are easier to mount than that gawd damn C6006! :eek:

Still didn't get any more done on mine this weekend... booooo.

I like the agressive tread pattern and love the price ($55 front and $65 rear). I have them on my V-Strom and they are decent on gravel and in the wet as well.
Also built the seat pan today and removed and stripped the battery box. Electronics will be mounted under the seat and the battery will live in the rear of the tail.

Back
Top Bottom