XS650 tracker budget (ish) build

Price is right for sure!!

Hey! send me that hoop you chopped! I'll pay shipping. pm me.

nope, he's in the U.S.
http://mysite.verizon.net/reszw9bp/

i'm thinking either the glasspack high pipes in black, or the 2 into 1 megaphone system. Braap!!

I still may have a go at making my own system. I've decided to do things a little differently on this bike, which means it may no longer be a budget build. I mean, there are very cool bikes you can put together for under $500, but I think i'll have to spend a bit more than first anticipated...which is not a bit deal, it'll just take me longer to get it done right. Also gonna go with the Banshee swap to keep things tidy (no battery) and hide all my electrics under the seat pan.

Well, it's been a while. Got some more done on the XS. Had some pipes made by Gordon Scott, very nice quality, fit perfectly and sounds badass. I have some baffles coming for them. Only thing you need to do is fab up a rear mount. I took one of the passenger footpegs and hacked it up, turned out pretty good actually.
DSC00991.jpg

DSC00997.jpg

DSC00995.jpg

DSC01000-1.jpg

I also yanked the starter and gears and installed a block off plug. Best $1.00 mod ever.
DSC01008.jpg

DSC01009.jpg

DSC01010.jpg

DSC01011.jpg

Working on mounting the tracker seat. I have the front mount done, just need to figure out the rear. I got it running with the new pipes, but it smokes like George Burns out the right cylinder - the one that was dead. I suspect the cylinder is worn from years of dumping raw fuel down it and not being ignited. I'm gonna have to tear the engine down and have a looksy, so once all the fab work is done, I think it'll get torn down to the frame and built back up. I should have ripped the whole bike apart the first week I had it, i'd have it done by now.

I found a solid way for the rear mount on the tracker tail section. A little overkill, but it'll work.
DSC01087.jpg

Got the rear exhaust mount welded on and started to grind the welds down.
DSC01085.jpg

I got tired of looking at it the way it sat, and since most of the modifications are done to make things fit, I decided to break it down to the frame so I can start cutting off tabs/brackets. Everything marked with green tape will go.
DSC01088.jpg

My goal is to have the chassis done by the fall and then I can do the engine over winter. Should be riding next spring.
More to come as things progress....

Well, what can I say...busy summer riding and camping, so I didn't get a lot done on the old steed until recently. Got the frame all cleaned up...
DSC01410.jpg

and cut off everything I didn't need, saved some weight here
DSC01411.jpg

Cut the steering head lock off and welded it in and got the frame, wheels and all bits sandblasted. The wheels were so badly corroded and pitted, also brutal scars from someone not using proper tools to change rubber. All my bikes have black wheels so I decided this one shouldn't be any different. Blasted them as well.
DSC01485.jpg

I got the powdercoating done this morning, my dad is in a vintage motorcycle club and knows a guy that has a cash only Sat deal once every 6 months or so. Had to scramble to get in on it this year.
DSC01488.jpg

DSC01501.jpg

Everything turned out wicked, especially the wheels! My Dad's BSA A65 parts came out great as well. Cool bike...
DSC01505.jpg

DSC01516.jpg

DSC01518.jpg

DSC01520.jpg

Until more parts arrive...

DSC01525.jpg

Nice! Hoping you checked those wheels for true before coating?? Whats the rest of the color scheme? Everything else Matte black would be wicked.

yup, the wheels are true. No broken/loose/missing spokes.

The engine will be flat black with flat silver accents, similar to this...
XSmotor1.jpg

Bars will be black as well, possibly 1 1/8 Pro Taper fatbars. Tank is black and gold, tracker tail is black. Haven't decided on a headlight, but a small black lamp would fit nicely. Also deciding on fork legs, maybe silver or black, but I am tempted to get the Hugh's shaved polished lowers. I love that clean look.

Back
Top Bottom