80' KZ750 t Street Tracker build

crackerman

Been Around the Block
Started to work on my 80 kz750 t. First thing on the agenda is to fix the starter clutch issue and clean the engine. I plan on PC some of the piece of the engine and painting the rest. I'd like to get the engine squared and running before moving on to the other stuff. Just picked up a junk 81' KZ750 4, that I want to use the 18' rear tire. Not sure it's going to work, as I'm hoping the entire rear swing arm just bolts up. Plans are to add the 18" disc wheel to the rear and blackout the wheels, loop the rear frame, add a fender to the rear, modify the seat, build a completely new wiring harness from scratch, mini speedo, Renthal bars, and smaller headlight. Going to be a slow build. Here's some pics.

Before the breakdown:
DSC06964.jpg

DSC06965.jpg

Starter clutch out. Springs were broken and you can see the hairline crack in this piece:
DSC06985.jpg

Wanted to lighten her up. Nice and light now.
DSC06995.jpg

DSC06994.jpg

Got some work done today. Picked up a donor 81' kz750. I've pulled most of good parts off it. Used the rear swing arm and wheel so I'd have a 18" wheel and disc brake as well. I also pulled the starter clutch out and will be using that as well. Had to do some grinding to make the 81' swing arm fit the 80' and need to cut some stuff off and weld a couple of thing. Shouldn't be too bad. Here's some pics.

Donor 81' kz750
Picture004.jpg

Rear swing arms, 81' 18" on left, 80' 16" on right
Picture010.jpg

80' KZ750 twin with 18" rear mounted:
Picture016.jpg

Picture017.jpg

Working on the engine. Busted one of the screws for the carb boots. Had to pull the head. Took it to the machine shop today. Started blasting some of the engine parts. I plan on powercoating most of the engine parts with some high temp black. Got some BBQ high heat spray paint for the main engine block. Got some scrubbin to do on the engine as well.

Here's some shots of the engine.
Picture028.jpg

Picture024.jpg

Shot of the frame.
Picture025.jpg

Man I gotta say I love ya Trumpy in the background there... that's the inspiration for my scrambler along with the old CL's...

Is that the Arrow pipe? That also inspired my Tranzac custom pipe I got made...

peteGS said:
Man I gotta say I love ya Trumpy in the background there... that's the inspiration for my scrambler along with the old CL's...

Is that the Arrow pipe? That also inspired my Tranzac custom pipe I got made...

Yea it's an 07' with an Arrow 2 to 1 - with the baffel removed (sounds tits),Blacked out heat shields, wrapped header. Also got on it a lucus tail light, bonnie seat mini speedo, tracker bars, air box removal with k&Ns and a bunch of other small mods. Done messing with the Scram. Got it the way I want it.

Going to be tough to build anything close to as fun as the Scram is. It's my daily driver to and through the city. Got takes some better pics of it.

crackerman said:
Yea it's an 07' with an Arrow 2 to 1 - with the baffel removed (sounds tits),Blacked out heat shields, wrapped header. Also got on it a lucus tail light, bonnie seat mini speedo, tracker bars, air box removal with k&Ns and a bunch of other small mods. Done messing with the Scram. Got it the way I want it.

Going to be tough to build anything close to as fun as the Scram is. It's my daily driver to and through the city. Got takes some better pics of it.

Awesome! Sounds like a blast :D

More pic's would be great, I've always liked those since they released them... I just hope my 450 is a load of fun too...

Where you at on this!? Also, how hard was it to get to the starter clutch? PITA? I've got a KZ650 that has that problem :( good news is that it's old enough to kickstart ;)

Look forward to more updates on this for sure!

Engine has been rebuilt. New pistons, new rings, and new valve seals. Powdercoated some pieces and painted the rest. Currently rebuilding the forks. Wheels are getting powdercoated and I got new tires ready to go on. Just signed up for a welding class as I was debating on paying someone to do the welding or do it myself. Rather do it myself.

I pulled the starter clutch out of my 80 twin and found that is was cracked. I then pulled the one out of the spare 81' KZ750 (4 cylinder) and that one was good so, I was able to use that one.

Motobike: Pulling the starter clutch off a twin really isn't that bad and you don't need to pull the engine. With 4 cylinder 81' is way more difficult as you gotta pull apart the bottom end. Let's just say I'm glad I didn't have to put the 81' 4 cylinder engine back together. I think most people put the engine but it could be done in the bike.

479a740e.jpg

7b746697.jpg

Wheels are finished. Powder coated with new bearings and Shinto 705s. I'm going put the engine back in and try to get her running. Still need to chop the rear. Once I have her completed I'll tear her down and powder the frame.

58f9244e.jpg

f95f6017.jpg

d53aa3fa.jpg

Had some time to work on her today. Managed to get the engine back it and get her up on the rack. Next step will be to use the old harness just to get her running, then build a new one. Baby steps.

7226ccfa.jpg

love the stance and the tires.....that thing is going to look mean

I have a sweet spot in my heart for all kz's

keep up the great work

Back
Top Bottom