College Kid Cafe Racer Build

I wouldn't say things like the rear tyre to frame clearance and the tyre choice are comments from 'internet know it alls'.....more trying to stop a kid from potentially copying something which is inherently dangerous. It's almost irresponsible for us not to warn him about such seeing as he's a self confessed newbie.

Anyway, hope you can make some decent progress on this! Looking forward to see what you can make of it. :)

Green199 said:
I wouldn't say things like the rear tyre to frame clearance and the tyre choice are comments from 'internet know it alls'.....more trying to stop a kid from potentially copying something which is inherently dangerous. It's almost irresponsible for us not to warn him about such seeing as he's a self confessed newbie.

Anyway, hope you can make some decent progress on this! Looking forward to see what you can make of it. :)

I was commenting on a slew of previous comments that have since been deleted from this thread. Not directed towards the helpful individuals on here at all!

I'm glad that this build topic has turned itself around. I did take the advice about that bike. I see now that the rear tire would most likely hit the fender, and the exhaust would probably scrape the pavement, although I had no intention of making the exhaust exactly like that.
Can anyone point me toward a thread over cafe racer form and functionality? I've read the one Sonreir made about engines, and I found it extremely interesting.
I'll be posting my "timeline" for how I wanna do this, later tonight. So lemme know what you guys think.
Thanks for the encouragement, I'll definetly be continuing the build on here

Get her running right too. That's a pretty satisfying start that can sometimes be cheap. One thing i noticed from the pic, that has frustrated me in the past, is your current fuel line routing. It seems to be coming down from the tank, then up then back down to the carb with a good bit of slack. Basically makes an air pocket trap. Re route that bad boy for easiest downhill flow. Just something I noticed, get at it!

Actually, the fuel line isn't even hooked up haha, I got the bike last weekend, and had to come back to college before I could really work on it, otherwise a lot of this stuff wouldn't be like that. But yes, I'll re-route it so that it flows better. Getting it running is going to be at the top of the list, all it should take is the starter motor being fixed/hooked up, the carbs being hooked up, and whatever other miscellaneous things that need to be done. When my dad and I were looking at it, we couldn't believe how everything was on the bike, many bolts aren't tightened up, and miscellaneous things aren't hooked up. The kid I bought it from said he was going to rebuild the engine, before anything else, so that it would "run forever". We're pretty sure he didn't know what he was doing or was just too lazy to put everything back together before he sold it to me which is irritating.
My classes are going alright, I'd rather focus on classes than the bike, as the degree makes me more money for more bikes and bike parts ;D
I'll get to making that list right now

CM400T Build Timeline
1. Get engine running
a. Hook up starter
b. Hook up gas lines and carb cables
c. Anything else that’ll go wrong
d. Tie up loose ends
2. New headlight(old one is cracked)
a. Also fix handle bar situation
3. Ride and get used to
4. Rebuild engine a lot hotter
a. Bore out to max
b. Stage 3 cams
c. Port heads
d. Stroker kit
e. Fuel injection
f. Anything else I can do to increase engine performance
5. Just kidding! Haha!
6. Start replacing parts
a. Turn signals
b. Seat
c. Fenders
d. Tires?
e. tank
7. Figure out stance
8. Tidy up
a. Paint
b. Tie up loose ends

Here's what my plan is for it, lemme know if you guys have any suggestions for doing it any differently as this is my first build. Also I'm sure you guys thought "stupid kid" when you saw the engine performance part lol. I really am just kidding with you guys though.

Hope you have a deep bank account for all of that engine work.

If you do, don't waste your time on that particular bike.

Good luck.

I was kidding about the engine work, that's why number 5 said "just kidding! haha"
Here's what the actual plan is
CM400T Build Timeline
1. Get engine running
a. Hook up starter
b. Hook up gas lines and carb cables
c. Anything else that’ll go wrong
d. Tie up loose ends
2. New headlight(old one is cracked)
a. Also fix handle bar situation
3. Ride and get used to
5. Start replacing parts
a. Turn signals
b. Seat?
c. Fenders
d. Tires?
e. tank
6. Figure out stance
7. Tidy up
a. Paint
b. Tie up loose ends

I would personally move tyres up that list! A decent set of modern compound 'grippy' tyres will do wonders in helping you sort out and feel any handling issues! :)

I agree with both the above posts. Engine and safety first. Its never a bad thing to think ahead to what you want to do, but when you start making to-do lists before you even start, it gets overwhelming. Trust me, thats why my 360 was supposed to be on the road in July and didn't hit the pavement until October. I jumped around all over the place instead of focusing on one piece at a time and getting it done. That strategy can be good as well when you get frustrated to pick something else up entirely.

When I get something non running, my order of operations is usually as follows:

1. CARBS - Clean, clean, clean. Bench sync before you put em back in. Empty bad gas out of fuel tank, fuel lines, etc and make sure only fresh gas gets in there.
2. SPARK - Make sure you have a strong blue spark when you ground the plugs out to the head. Clean/replace plugs. Check timing (if you have points ignition)
3. Fully charge the battery.
4. Fire her up 8)

But thats just me.

When its running I usually spray some WD-40 or carb cleaner around the intake boots and make sure there's no vacuum leaks.

adventurco said:
When I get something non running, my order of operations is usually as follows:

1. CARBS - Clean, clean, clean. Bench sync before you put em back in. Empty bad gas out of fuel tank, fuel lines, etc and make sure only fresh gas gets in there.
2. SPARK - Make sure you have a strong blue spark when you ground the plugs out to the head. Clean/replace plugs. Check timing (if you have points ignition)
4. Fire her up 8)
5. Have a beer soda.

0.5 A few drops of Marvel Mystery Oil in each cylinder through the plug holes. (two new plugs won't hurt, either)
adventurco said:
4. Fire her up 8)
5. Beer, lots of beer.

^^

Oh yeah, and I always change the oil before I try and fire a non-runner up. Lots of times if someones tried to get it going and failed, it results in flooding, which results in gasoline in the oil. I don't like running that crap through the engine, dunno about you guys.

Thanks for the advice guys, when you mentioned timeline I thought for the whole build, but I'll definetly make one for just getting it started. It actually doesn't have oil in it right now, so fresh oil is a definite must. I was also planning on cleaning/rebuilding the carbs.

alex2445 said:
Thanks for the advice guys, when you mentioned timeline I thought for the whole build, but I'll definetly make one for just getting it started. It actually doesn't have oil in it right now, so fresh oil is a definite must. I was also planning on cleaning/rebuilding the carbs.
No oil? For how long?

shit, you're right that's a good point. I really wish that kid would've done a better job before I bought it off of him. I'll text him and ask

Back
Top Bottom