College Kid Cafe Racer Build

Well, it wasn't so much as the PO fucked everything up, but that he lied to me. We thought that why the engine wouldn't move was because he fucked up the cam timing after he put the head back on and now the piston was against a valve. That would've been a blessing. No, it wouldn't move because the connecting rod is broken and the crank shaft is jammed against the connecting rod. I'm sure you're all thinking "well you should've known it was seized up when you bought it". Well we didn't because he loosened the bolts on the clutch so that it would slip enough to allow the bike to move. Lesson learned, don't buy a bike that even has a hint of being a POS. I don't know what's going to happen next, I called him and he didn't pick up so I left a message. Most likely he won't give me my money back. So I get to rebuild the engine. Enjoy the pictures.

Attachments

• fucked up engine 1.jpg
    fucked up engine 1.jpg
    978.7 KB · Views: 242
  • fucked up engine 2.jpg
    fucked up engine 2.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 232
If it's me in your shoes, I'm looking for another CM400T in running condition. You're going to spend hundreds of hours and who knows how much money trying to rescue that. Some engines might be worth it, but not this one IMHO.

If you love the CM400T then find an engine that actually turns, and make it run with worst-case a top end rebuild. If you don't LOVE the CM400T then scrap it and pick a different bike.

If it was me, and I was still loving the look of the 750 you posted originally, I'd be looking for a Honda CB500 or 550. But I also appreciate the simplicity and cost-effectiveness of a twin or even single. 4 cylinders are 2x the cost to rebuild as 2.

What makes you think he knew about this problem when he sold you the bike? Sounds like you guys talked it over and convinced yourselves it was a timing problem (which would only prevent it from rotating in one direction, not both).

If he ripped you off, then deal with it if you can, but at the end of the day buying old motorcycles is a massive gamble. Always be prepared to lose every penny. It's just like betting on the horses. If you can't afford to lose 100% of your bet, don't bet.

Alex, that truly sucks. I wish you good luck with your jerk PO.

Look forward lessons learned.

Rebuilding it would teach you a great deal with hands on about motor design and maintenance.
Riding a bike that you have had your hands in the guts of feels pretty damn good.
Having a bike to ride right now and mod later also feels pretty damn good.

Make a plan for fixing or replacing.

Cheers.

I don't think I wanna just buy a new bike, I've already got $450 into it. And I know for those with well paying jobs that isn't a whole lot, but for someone getting federal minimum wage, it's quite a bit. I know it'll be a lot to rebuild, but maybe I can just rebuild it and sell it, and buy a new bike with a possible gain in cash. Either way I've been fucked over and need to figure out what to do.

Also I agree with canyon carver, it would give me more experience with engines. I've never torn into an actual motorcycle engine. And I feel that riding it would be extremely satisfying, because as of now I'm against the odds.

Tim said:
If it's me in your shoes, I'm looking for another CM400T in running condition. You're going to spend hundreds of hours and who knows how much money trying to rescue that. Some engines might be worth it, but not this one IMHO.

If you love the CM400T then find an engine that actually turns, and make it run with worst-case a top end rebuild. If you don't LOVE the CM400T then scrap it and pick a different bike.

If it was me, and I was still loving the look of the 750 you posted originally, I'd be looking for a Honda CB500 or 550. But I also appreciate the simplicity and cost-effectiveness of a twin or even single. 4 cylinders are 2x the cost to rebuild as 2.

What makes you think he knew about this problem when he sold you the bike? Sounds like you guys talked it over and convinced yourselves it was a timing problem (which would only prevent it from rotating in one direction, not both).

If he ripped you off, then deal with it if you can, but at the end of the day buying old motorcycles is a massive gamble. Always be prepared to lose every penny. It's just like betting on the horses. If you can't afford to lose 100% of your bet, don't bet.

I 103% agree with all the advice from Tim. Cut your losses, if you have the time, break it and recoup your outlay on Evilbay.
You will have now seen the problems inherent with cafe-ing that model (but there are some stunners).
An otherwise standard CB with the addition of ace bars and rearsets is a great starting point, keep it running, change one bit at a time, but always 'on the road' and be out there enjoying it. Working your way through replacing all the bushes, bearings, pads, oils and seals will keep you busy enough to start with, but each job can be done in less than a day and you remain mobile.
My advice, which is probs worth bugger all, would be to get something plentyfull that you can easily get a spare engine for. Run the two projects simultaneously, rebuild/blue print/breathe on the spare engine whilst getting the rolling chassis sorted as a runner, then eventually swop in the bench engine.
If you have just started college you are going to have so many distractions over the next few years, mostly involving your penis and the trouble it will get you in. Don't end up flogging a crate of dismantled bike once your priorities change, ride the fukker.

Keep the project. Don't you dare give up after all that posturing, future engineer.

This will ALWAYS be your first bike. Did you get conned, get in over your head, and [hopefully]learn a lesson? Maybe. But if you make it run, you fucking win. No matter the cost.

But also, buy a bike that runs.

DohcBikes said:
Keep the project. Don't you dare give up after all that posturing, future engineer.

This will ALWAYS be your first bike. Did you get conned, get in over your head, and [hopefully]learn a lesson? Maybe. But if you make it run, you fucking win. No matter the cost.

Christ...that was almost inspirational! ;D

Sorry to hear what happened to you man. People are shit man, can't trust too many people. At least you learned this lesson early on in your motorcycling days. There are a few ways you can go from here, you can just try to resell this bike and get another, you can get another POS and try to make 1 good bike from 2, or you can try to find another engine on the cheap and throw it into your (I assume titled frame, I didnt read the whole thread). That's what I would do, look for a really cheap parts bike that has a nice engine or just hunt for an intact, non-seized engine. Best of luck man. Message me if you need anything.

DohcBikes said:

Also, I agree with this... I got ripped off with my first bike too, but stuck it out, was worth it.

While it sucks to walk away from $450 it is far worse to keep playing a bad hand.

You gotta pay to play. If you cant afford the right bike then you simply have to wait.

ZERO point in talking to the PO. He sold you a bike as is and you failed to know what was what.
Live and learn. IN the long run the small burn is what it is.

A $1500 bike that is currently on the road and inspected is massively cheaper then some $500 pile of junk.

Really you have to figure out what you want out of all of this.
if it is only to struggle and mess with a bad bike (not YOUR bike, but ALL Hawks) then fine. Personally I would have just bought a lawn mower at a yard sale though.
But if your goal is to have a motorcycle and ride then cut your losses and refocus.

The most important part about having a good time in the hobby is learning to pick a good project.
This whole "find anything you can" is stupid.

http://toledo.craigslist.org/mcy/5263956141.html
Great bike. The "buy in" for euro stuff is normally the thing to worry about. Service parts are dirt cheap and these motors are simple to work on.
After you start riding it you will understand how good they are and wonder why anyone would want a Hawk.

http://toledo.craigslist.org/mcy/5231052224.html
Something with real aftermarket support (but not the more desirable year)

http://toledo.craigslist.org/mcy/5226975784.html
Not a café racer base, but a real sized motor cycle to get you out on the road.

http://toledo.craigslist.org/mcy/5266775703.html
Don't take the bait on shit like this.

If you must have a small toy motorcycle
http://monroemi.craigslist.org/mcy/5267225006.html

http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/mcy/5252510511.html
No mention of if it runs. People actually race these. Some still think that a café racer should be a performance, so it is nice to know that there are people that race the bike you buy.

http://toledo.craigslist.org/mcy/5305697012.html
Honestly you should look into something more like this. Get to riding. Wrench on other junk.
Hell keep the hawk pile and buy another bike to ride. Now that the Hipsters are getting out of vintage motoryclces 80s superbikes will be the next big thing!

DohcBikes said:

+1

I bought my first bike when I was 17. I trusted the PO and got screwed with the engine. However, I still have that bike (though its not finished :-[ ) and I'm glad I do. In the meantime I've bought a couple of runners, and have gotten a few projects to tide me over until I am done with college and can get it from home and finish working on it. If you can afford it, my vote is to keep the 400 as a slow burn project and get a runner in the meantime.
Another thing is that having a bike that (mostly) works can really help you understand how things SHOULD look, feel, and operate on your project. I made a lot of improvements to the 125 I got burned on after riding a CB250 for a few months just because I learned what things were supposed to feel like.

Dude... I really hate that for you! And paying $450 for that bike when the PO likely knew it was messed up was just wrong. I have a running CB400T (was running a month ago before I started stripping it down for a build) that I would have happily moved your way for $450!

I have to agree with the encouragement of the others though. Get it to run and it's a HUGE win for you! Even if you have to spend a couple hundred on another engine for it, when you're done and riding your own masterpiece down the street. That's a feeling that no man can fully believe until he's there. 8)

I am keeping the bike, for how long I don't know. 50% of me wants to finish it as a cafe racer, 50% of me wants to just restore it and sell it to someone else.
As for the engine, I was looking at parts and a used crankshaft and new rod would cost me $200, although I haven't been able to see what else is wrong with the engine, so it could cost more. Or I could just buy a different engine and go that route.
Would anyone know if a CB450 engine would fit in the frame of my cm400t? If not I'll just buy a CB400T or CM400T engine for it.
Also is there anyone in northwest Ohio, northeast indiana, or southern michigan with parts/engines that I could use? Thanks for the encouragement guys, I appreciate it. and I agree DOHC's post was inspirational.

Wow, what a great thread. Sucks that I missed all the drama, hahaha. No a CB450 motor will not fit out of the box. The frames are so different. You could always make things fit but this is either huge $$ or time. See if you can ebay a new motor they're usually not very expensive. Good luck!

If you really want to stick with cm400, I'd be willing to bet you can find a decent parts bike for cheap. I see them on CL in my area all the time for $600 or less.

But then the poor kid is stuck with a Hawk!

It is the Elantra of the bike world. Find for getting you, your wife, three kids and two goats to work every day.....at the same time.....but not really anything remotely racer about them.

Really a refocus about what the goal with the project is needed.

MANY people see some junk on pipeburn and run right to CL to buy the first bike they see. They are so excited to play café racer that they don't think.
Some are find with this idea. It is just a different form of the chopper mentality and that is all well and good.

BUT if the real goal is to have a vintage performance bike then the hawk is a terrible base.

Honestly though I don't think any talk of custom bikes is a good idea right now.

Get bike
Ride said bike for a while.

To many people play café racer dress up and learn VERY bad habbits due to the poor mods they do to their bikes.
Many just flat don't know any better and that is not good.

Back
Top Bottom