Oh YEAH to Oh NO...Project Kool-Aid, up in smoke: Shorai signs onto DTT!

Re: Oh YEAH to Oh NO...Project Kool-Aid, up in smoke: Shorai disaster

I boned up a little on M/C regulator theory in the last day or so. The original R/R was a thyristor type, and most likely the original. The thyristor regulators, especially older ones, have the capacity to vary their charging rates widely, and then work overtime to keep up. The lead acid battery is better able to absorb the resulting swing of 12-15 volts much easier than the Lipo4 battery. As the regulator is constantly trying to maintain the balance between the charging system and the battery, the reduced margin for error of the Lipo4 creates additional stress upon the system (read heat). When the temperature of the internals of the regulator reach critical mass, they fail in one of two ways: off or on. Mine failed in on, and burned up the battery.
I am now switching to a MOSFET style regulator/ rectifier, as the MOSFET system is much less prone to charging system variables, although working in a much similar way to the thyristor systems. Therefore it is plug and play into the VTR charging system, and will allow for the use of the Lipo4 battery.

Having just spent a little time researching MOSFET and thyristors, as they apply to the regulator application, it becomes very clear as to why the former is the more efficient option.

Both perform a nearly identical function. However, once the thyristor (latching diode, while forward biased) has allowed conductance, it is much slower to release the "latch", especially if the anode current of the diode is exceeding the latching current. So, two things keep the thyristor conductance latched: trigger current, or annode current. If the annode current is above the holding current of the thyristor, it will remain latched. It can be manually switched off by changing the bias of the diode to negative. This method is not used in the Superhawk R/R, as the Superhawk relies on annode current to fall off, allowing the thyristor to open. However, the entire process is slow to react as it is entirely dependent upon the current differential between the trigger current and the anode current to release. This equals more heat. As you would imagine, the whole process is further slowed as the thyristor gets older.

The MOSFET transistor uses a positive gate, more likened to a light switch. When current is applied to the gate of the MOSFET, it closes the switch. When current is removed, the switch opens. This occurs much more quickly due to the switch action's direct relationship to the applied gate current, rather than on current differential between two points. It seems that as the switching action is much more reliant on gate current, this regulating system would be much less prone to the kind of burn down experienced on the SH than are the tyristor types.

Anyway, its kind of nice to know why the charging rates and variables are so much different between the two... The battery did contribute to the overall failure, although perhaps not outright causing it. The failure was due to a marginal regulator, forced to work overtime, and unable to do so. I would caution anyone considering one of these batteries to consider upgrading the regulator/ rectifier to a MOSFET unit (such as found on the Yamaha R6 or R1). The stator is not the issue, only the R/R. A complete measuring of the stock charging range would be in order as well, as the Lipo batteries prefer a range of 13.6-14.4 max for optimal operation.

t71ford said:
Thanks for the additional info. I am not entirely convinced that these batteries are an intrinsic evil, though. In the first lipo4 video above, the creators wired a dead short, and then filmed the resulting smoking wires...not really convincing, since any battery/ wiring will do the same thing if wired that way. I tend to think more along the lines that they are sensitive to charging rates, which may make fitting them to a motorcycle more involved than previously thought, though perhaps still not impossible. I am still researching these. Again, Li is not the same as Lipo4, the biggest difference seeming to actually be their relative safety...although the jury is still out on that as well! I just don't want to shy away from the whole thing yet if there is a simple, logical answer. Plus I kind of like fllying down the highway with fire shooting from my ass ;D

It is a reasonably new technology, which may account for the lack of representation at the manufacturer level.

On a lighter note, I was contacted by Shorai today. They want to know how much it will cost for the entire repair of my bike, my labor time included, and are going to reimburse me for that amount. The president of Shorai is supposed to be in contact with me by the end of the week, to help figure what went wrong. Evidently, in the event of a failure, these batteries are supposed to be protected to prevent this sort of thing happening. So if this all happens, I may just be part of the compensated R&D, and may come out the better yet! I am trying to be positive, and so far, my experience with Shorai has been positive. Stay tuned for the outcome!!

I want to thank you guys for bringing this to our attention and all the subsequent research you did. I was about to pull the trigger on one these batteries and lord knows what could have happened. The regulator/rectifier on an XS650 isn't the most reliable piece of kit and is prone to failure. This is a common situation with a number of the older bikes that we deal with on a daily basis, so the potential for real danger is definitely there!

I was glad to see that the company has offered to pay for the damages to your bike, etc. Although this no way mitigates the danger you were in, it is refreshing to see a company take some responsibility for their product these days.

Again, thanks for the heads up and I hope everything works out in getting your bike back together as it was! Keep us posted, please.

Excellent write up t71. Thanks for all the work you did. Now I get to learn if my bike can be switched over. I was really planning on running one of these batteries but my electrical system is marginal at best.

I was contacted by the president of Shorai today. In talking with him, I learned of some additional information:

It turns out that the small case batteries had reduced plate spacers installed. This places the plates closer together inside the case. It was done to improve starting current flow, as everyone knows this is an area of some weakness on Lipo4 batteries.
During the production run in which my battery was made, there was an issue with how the plates were joined. Evidently a crimp was made that could cut or circumvent the spacer, allowing the plates to touch (short). This caused the fire. According to the the people I spoke with (and of course common sense), this issue will present itself within the first few cycles of the battery--so if you have one and it has been working, you will do not have a time bomb, your battery is ok.
I am not sure which issue caused the concern knowing this. However, the charging system scenario is still valid, and I would recommend changing to the MOSFET system if at all possible. This is an easy change if you have three stator wires, a postive wire, and a ground wire in your current regulator.
Anyway, part of the Shorai stocking issue is a redesign of the battery, which will double the thickness of the plate spacer. This will reduce cranking effectiveness to a degree, but will allow for greater safety. I was assured that the overall performance of the battery would not be reduced by a large degree. Additional improvements will include thicker battery terminals (changed from 1 mm to 1.5 mm) to reduce bending. I was told that Shorai hopes to have these available by mid April.
I was also informed that Shorai has sold approximately 3000 of these batteries, of which only 12 have been returned for warranty issues. The president further explained the complexities of the new technology of these batteries, and as to the very newness of the design.
As for my end, I am very pleased with the handling of this issue. I am being issued one of the new series batteries of even larger capacity. They are re-imbursing the cost of the original, providing a replacement free of charge, and paying for all the damage to Kool-Aid. And they are compensating me handsomely in addition to this. The issue has been handled promptly and with very professional and speedy methods. I could not be happier.

So far, +1 for Shorai...

Re: Oh YEAH to Oh NO...Project Kool-Aid, up in smoke: Shorai information

that is awesome! well played on their part taking care of the issue and glad to hear that you have narrowed down the issue to just hte battery now huh?

This is amazing news from a vendor. Not many companies will stand behind a product in this manner.

OUTSTANDING!!!

Note to self: Buy Shorai batteries.

A-a-a-n-n-d...back in the game! My new Mosfet R/R showed today, so I picked up a cheapy lead acid battery to used until the replacement Shorai comes in. I wired it all up, cleaned it all up, fired it up and rode the PISS out of it ;D

Kool-Aid is so freakin' light now, and just rides like a rocket. Man I have missed this...

Just a word of caution/ area to check. I did stop and make a few precautionary checks on my R/R. This thing still gets fairly warm to the touch, although is regulating like it is supposed to. Fortunately, this one has cooling fins where the OEM one did not. But I don't know if I will keep it in the tail, or expose it so it can get some air flow. I will be monitoring that part carefully for a little while. Something to check on yours as well.

Anyway, supposed to be 50 degrees and sunny here tomorrow. Going to ride the bike to work for the first time in 2011. Can't wait!

I don't know anything about the cooling/ battery/ whatever problems. But the MOSFET cooling system is widely used in aftermarket stereo amps forever. The failure rate (outside competitions) is minimal for the amps. I would think as long as there is any airflow around the fins, should be ok.

What creates the heat is actually the crude regulating system design. Instead of a series regulator type (adding or reducing current in the field windings), this regulator shorts one leg to ground to reduce charging. Obviously a short is going to generate a large amount of heat. The MOSFET R/R has really huge cooling fins, though, so I want to try to keep it under the tail for now.

And true. MOSFET is the way_to_go!

That's a good point. I just hid a modern finned R/R under my seat... I may want to move that real soon.

I added some vent holes to the bum stop of my seat to try to get a little more circulation in there. If that doesn't work, it will be getting moved. The little thing gets pretty hot!

I just wasn't comfortable with the R/R sitting under the tail with all the other electrics and getting that hot. My venting idea didn't work as well as I had hoped, so I relocated the R/R to above one of the front radiators, so that it will be air cooled as I ride. This gives me a lot greater peace of mind. I measured the temperature of it while it was running, and it seemed to settle at about 130 degrees, while sitting stationary. The new R1 R/R is finned, and so should run much cooler with a little air flow over it.

Update

I posted this in another forum, but it is topical here too, so...

Hi,

In addition to making some changes to cell structure and the beefy terminal upgrades, we are also going to add an over-charge protection circuit to all future LFX production. Our next batch should arrive on April 25th we expect (pretty solid date, give/take a few days). Unfortunately we didn't realize it would take 6 weeks to get the terminal tooling done, and that put us behind.

The cell structure changes alone nearly eliminate the possibility of internal cell short circuit, even if the charging system is over-voltage. Also, lifespan during high-temp storage (AZ garages, etc) will increase, and self-discharge rate is reduced even further (longer storage before recharge is required).

Then the charge protection circuit will add an additional layer of protection, pretty much insuring that the LFX cells are not affected by a rogue charging system, at all.

Frankly, though, even we are a bit surprised at the tiny return rate we have seen so far (<1/2 of 1%), and very encouraged by it. Our two new production lines - with the newest and best equipment - and the protection circuit and cell upgrades will make it even better. And we plan to continue looking for every little thing we can do to improve our LFX, going forward.

And... if we can get our volume up high enough, we hope to see cost reductions that we can pass on to you in the form of lower prices.

We're having fun, and really appreciate your support.

All the Best,

David
Shorai Tech

Kudos to David and the Shorai organization in general for being stand-up folks.

We motorcyclists can be a challenging audience to do business with, and those of us who wrench/build our own can be even more so.

Any company/organization who is humble enough to admit when mistakes are made and make an effort to rectify the situation and learn from it is a rare bird now-a-days.

It is lamentable that it happened in the first place, but it appears that everyone concerned kept a level head and tried to learn from it and improve things. Thanks to all involved for sharing the whole saga, warts and all.

I know that the next time I need a battery I will research the Shorai product and weigh it favorably based on this episode.

These are precisely the kinds of things that forums are great for.

My sincere thanks to you all!

Wow, super stoked to see David from Shorai coming on here and offering his thoughts and info. It is very cool to see that in a company nowadays and is one of the reason I will probably buy one of their batteries soon.

Welcom to the forum David, and thank you for your diligence in helping Tyler out!

Hey guys,
I spoke with David earlier today, and he asked me to modify my first post on this to remove one of the graphic pictures of the damage. He left this entirely up to me, making no demands (even agreeing that the burning bike pic is pretty cool). Given the stellar representation from Shorai (I think we can all agree), I was happy to help him out. I did let him know that there is a pretty serious market here for this particular product, and that if they continue to be this kind of company, we will continue to support them.

Thanks again, David!

Bike folks

Bozz said:
Kudos to David and the Shorai organization in general for being stand-up folks.

We motorcyclists can be a challenging audience to do business with, and those of us who wrench/build our own can be even more so.

To all who've given me such a nice welcome... Thanks!

I was a bike mechanic and service manager when I was younger, and have owned about 35 bikes over the years. So I always try to keep in mind what a bike owner wants and needs. (like spare screws and nuts, in case one goes under the workbench, which it WILL, you know).

Please feel free to tell us what you do like, and especially what you don't like, any time. The terminals upgrade was a direct result of customer feedback, for example. We're keeping ears open, and plan to keep improving the batteries according to your comments and requests.

All the Best,

David
Shorai Tech

Well David, that is the right way to get long term customers. I will for sure be getting one of your batteries for each bike when replacement time comes around.

Regards,

Mike

Back
Top Bottom