"La Pastinaca" CB450 498cc Big Bore Engine Built By DWMS Racing!

Re: "La Pastinaca" CB450 New photos! 74mm 498cc big bore!

Meh...no biggie mate....it's your thread!

Re: "La Pastinaca" CB450 New photos! 74mm 498cc big bore!

I took some more photos today while I worked on the engine.

I installed the rebuilt starter, starter gear, chain, and a new inner stator cover gasket on the engine.

000_0004_03.jpg

The Shark Hide cured nicely on the inner stator cover so I installed the rebuilt stator into the cover and bolted the assembly to the engine with new stainless allen head bolts. After the cover was in place I attached the neutral switch and secured the wiring.

000_0005_06.jpg

Brother Habanero52 had me send the cams to Megacycle, they welded and reground them to their new vintage road racing profile.

000_0006_02.jpg

We also had the rockers welded and reground.

000_0009_01.jpg

Re: "La Pastinaca" CB450 New photos! The cams are here!

Looks amazing so far.

Me thinks I'm going to try the shark hide on my rebuild. I painted my motor but after 2 seasons with no front fender, it's looking pretty beat.

*swag, thanks for the info. I saw they were for a 4cly after I posted, but didn't want to interrupt the thread any more.

Re: "La Pastinaca" CB450 New photos! The cams are here!

Useful Idiot said:
Looks amazing so far.

Thank you Brother!

This afternoon I worked on the clutch side of the engine, this photo shows it bare except for the shift drum, drum stop, neutral stop, plate, and springs which I had already installed. Notice there is no kickstarter spindle shaft assembly in the cases as Brother Habanero52 requested that I leave it out and build a plug to seal the clutch cover.

000_0013.jpg

Here is a photo of how she looks now after I installed the gearshift spindle, arm spring, return spring, crankshaft thrust washer, primary drive gear, new oil pump o-ring, a new oil pump, new oil pump plunger, new plunger pin, clutch outer body with oil pump rod assembly, clutch center hub, new Barnett clutches, the pressure plate, new clutch springs, etc.

000_0018.jpg

Re: "La Pastinaca" CB450 New photos! Clutch side engine assembly

That's a lot of camshaft for a street motor. Just saying... I have run race cams on the street and they do make more power as revs rise but tend to be a PIA at lower engine speeds. I guess if it spends its time on the twisties it will probably be OK, just not so civilized around town. I hope you are using smallish carbs on this one to keep it tractable.

That engine sure does look pretty.

Brother Teazer thank you for the compliment about the engine looking pretty, you know that means a lot to me!

The cams are Megacycles .365"/.350" lift middle grind not their .411" full race grind and the engine is getting a pair of Mikuni VM32's. She is a lot of engine for the street however I have a feeling Brother Habanero52 is not building this one for civility! Hahahaha!

I believe I had posted a photo of the carburetors earlier but here it is again for anyone that may not have seen them or would like to know what they look like.

000_0010_00-1.jpg

From the photos I figured they were the X10-X11 grind. That's still more cam than some racers use. I'd use that on a race bike with those carbs and pistons. It should be a fast bike when it's all done.

Brother the cams are the 120-X11 intake and 120-X12 exhaust grinds.

Here are the specs on the cams -

Intake - .365" lift, 274 duration@.040, 102 lobe centers, open 35btc and close 59abc. Run with .004 valve lash.

Exhaust - .350" lift, 270 duration, 106 lobe centers, open 61bbc and close at 29atc. Run with .005 valve lash.

The 120-X7 is the 411" lift full race profile that Megacycle is offering.

How is ignition going to be handled on this beast? Going with electronic, I hope?

Sonreir said:
How is ignition going to be handled on this beast? Going with electronic, I hope?

Yes we are wanting to go with an electronic ignition, I will let Brother Habanero52 fill you in on the details of what he would like to do as he is still working on that at the moment.

Brother Glenn they definately would not let us ship it by air! We would have to put it on a boat if that was allowed but it would take a while to get there!

Electronics is the only way to light up this dragon. I am working with Charlie's, in SF to get a Dynatech that he is modifying for sale, it will be a drop in without any mods required. It is currently under test. As soon as he approves it, I will be gettingg one. I have considered the other more expensive optio and that is plan B. Comments please. :eek: 8)

I cleaned the cylinders and painted them satin black to match the cases this afternoon, I set them on the engine to let the paint cure and took a couple of photos.

000_0003_04.jpg

000_0004_04.jpg

Re: "La Pastinaca" CB450 New photos! Cylinders cleaned and painted

Thank you Brother Maritime, as always your compliments mean a lot!

Habanero52 said:
Electronics is the only way to light up this dragon. I am working with Charlie's, in SF to get a Dynatech that he is modifying for sale, it will be a drop in without any mods required. It is currently under test. As soon as he approves it, I will be gettingg one. I have considered the other more expensive optio and that is plan B. Comments please. :eek: 8)

There are so many options and so few that are practical for the street. DYNA GL100 is such an easy one to adapt but it seems that sometimes the rotor is too far out and needs to be machined to let it fit closer to the head.

The Best system would be one on the crank but that's not so simple to organize on a street motor.

joeyputt said:
Brother the cams are the 120-X11 intake and 120-X12 exhaust grinds.

Thanks Joey, I should have been more careful with those numbers. That's still a race cam with a lot of lift, so it should make for a fun ride. We found that megacycle's mildest cams tend to make for the nicest bikes to ride, but I don't have enough experience with their 450 cams to know if that's true for the 450 as well.

DYNA is a good choice for the ignition and a GL1000 unit almost drops straight in with little modification. Sometimes DYNA rotors need to be machined to drop the magnet back close to the backing plate to get a clean reliable trigger with that conversion. Keep it cool. Lots of other options but few appropriate for a street bike.

Power Dynamo would be worth looking at if it was programmable, but way more dollars.

You are welcome Brother, I was not saying that you were wrong on those numbers I just supplied them for you as I know you like to look at the profiles.

Thank you for the referance to the Power Dynamo, I will take a look at them. I am not a fan of the GL1000 conversion, I have been looking at the bore tech recently however it is a little costly as well at almost $400, have you ever used one of their ignitions? Hopefully Charlies will release an affordable bolt in Dyna unit!

As popular as the cb450's have become in recent years it is surprising that Dyna has not offered an ignition for them...? I guess they would have to be able to sell enough of them for the research and development to be profitable and the market audience for them is just not large enough but I still would have thought that they would have offered an affordable solution to the mag ignition for vintage racers on a budget by now?

I know there was some previous discussion in this thread about the valve spring conversion, it has arrived so here is a photo of the springs, spacers, and the titanium keepers.

000_0005_07.jpg

I also removed the 444cc from the cylinders and changed it to 498cc before I painted them yesterday.

000_0015_00-1.jpg

Re: "La Pastinaca" CB450 New photos! Cylinders painted & valve spring conversion

I've used a ton of gun-kote products (1600 and 2300)on...well....guns. I haven't however played with this one looks interesting and if it holds up well it might be a good alternative for coating cast aluminum in pretty colors. I'd want to see how it holds up to regular wear though. For giggles you can prep with muratic acid over a polished aluminum surface and spray with candy urethanes for a pretty nice effect. Unfortunately painted aluminum will always be painted aluminum, the finish will eventually flake off. I have heard of etchant being added to paint going on aluminum but I don't know how that would work out with the translucent nature of candy paint.

Back
Top Bottom