"La Pastinaca" CB450 498cc Big Bore Engine Built By DWMS Racing!

Re: "La Pastinaca" CB450 New photos! Racing valves and spring conversion

Today I installed the three guide pins, new stud seals, a new copper head gasket, a new front cam chain guide roller assembly, a new rear cam chain guide roller, and the cylinder head on the engine and torqued all of the head nuts.

I spent most of yesterday afternoon doing the final sanding on the cam bearing housings so today after I installed the cylinder head I polished them some more and am now ready to install the cams, rockers, and rocker shafts.

000_0016_00-1.jpg

Re: "La Pastinaca" CB450 New photos! Cams and rockers installed

I did a lot of work on the cylinder head yesterday.

Here is a photo of the new cam bearing housings after I polished them.

000_0001_03-1.jpg

I installed the rockers that we had welded and resurfaced, the rocker shafts, seals, and the lash caps, the red on the rockers, shafts, etc. is assembly lube.

000_0004_07.jpg

I installed the top cam chain guide roller and prepared the cam bearing housings by assembling all of the tachometer drive parts in the right front housing, adding new seals to the tachometer drive and the ignition base, and deburring all of the cam bearing faces.

After we had all of the cam bearing housings ready we installed the camshafts to measure the end play with the new cam bearing housings, removed them to adjust the end play and reinstalled them.

000_0003_07.jpg

I also installed the intake manifolds, the kickstarter plug in the clutch cover, and a few other small parts. She is getting close to being ready to run!

I am an expert DTT lurker but had to comment. This is really nice build up to watch. It looks amazing and I'm sure the photos don't do it justice. Joe, what's the best way to get ahold of you for some questions...a pm here or your DWMS website?

Brother One80Auto thank you for the compliment, they always mean more to me than I could ever put into words! I am here on dotheton almost every day so you are more than welcome to pm me here or contact me through the DWMS site, however you feel the most comfortable. I also took a look at your CB750 and it looks awesome man!

Today I set all of the cam timing and installed the cam chain, adjusted all of the rockers to their proper lash, and checked all of the clearances. I also disassembled, cleaned, painted, reassembled, and installed the cam chain tensioner and adjusted it. This afternoon I blasted the front and rear cam covers, sealed them, and installed the intake side cover.

We def need more motor build threads. This one's amazing.

Joey, you gotta link(s) for polishing? I'm about ready to start rebuilding my CB500T motor and I want to polish my cam bearing housing, etc. If I could get mine half as clean as yours, I'd be stoked.

Thanks

Useful Idiot said:
We def need more motor build threads. This one's amazing.

Joey, you gotta link(s) for polishing? I'm about ready to start rebuilding my CB500T motor and I want to polish my cam bearing housing, etc. If I could get mine half as clean as yours, I'd be stoked.

Thanks

Brother I am very happy that you are enjoying this thread and thank you for the compliment, I really appreciate it! I do not know of any polishing threads but I am sure there are a lot of them out there, I can send you a pm with more detailed information about polishing if you like or feel free to pm or email me if you have specific questions and I will be more than happy to help you any way that I can.

Here are a couple photos of the rear side of the engine, the first photo shows how the engine looked when I received it from Brother Habanero52 and the second photo shows how she looked as I started working on her today.

This afternoon I installed the carburetors and a few other parts. There was not enough clearance between the choke levers and the rear cam cover as well as both of the Mikuni carburetors having left side choke levers. I was able to adjust the choke lever assembly on the left carburetor to achieve the necessary clearance, on the right carburetor I turned the choke levers bracket and modified and shortened the choke lever so that it is now on the right side of the carburetor for easier access. I will take and add new photos of the engine with the carburetors tomorrow.

000_0005-1.jpg

000_0016_01-1.jpg

What a transformation! It looks increadable!

Whew....those shiny new cams make me feel all funny inside!

JustinLonghorn said:
Yep, I am a fan, sir.

Thank you Brother!

Swagger said:
Whew....those shiny new cams make me feel all funny inside!

Hahahaha! Me too Brother! I had to take one last photo of how pretty the cams are before I put the assembly lube on the lobes!

Here is a photo of the engine with the Mikuni VM32 carburetors and stacks!

000_0023_00-1.jpg

Re: "La Pastinaca" CB450 New photos! Carburetors and stacks

I am a lucky man! Joey, you the man!
Thanks.

Re: "La Pastinaca" CB450 New photos! Carburetors and stacks

I could never thank you all enough for your compliments and support or put into words how much they truly mean to me, you all make me very proud to be a member here. Thank you Brothers!

Re: "La Pastinaca" CB450 New photos! Electronic ignition

Here is a photo of the electronic ignition that Brother Habanero52 decided to use installed in the engine. I am putting the finishing touches on the engine now so I will add all of the before and after photos very soon!

000_0043.jpg

Re: "La Pastinaca" CB450 New photos! Electronic ignition

any tips for tools to use on polishing those covers? I have a dremel but i think i need better attachments. What did you use?

Re: "La Pastinaca" CB450 498cc Big Bore Engine! Before and after photos!

Fantastic! Did you do any porting or anything to that beast?
(edit: you may have mentioned it previously but my head is full of other stuff so disregard if you already posted...I'll go look for myself)

Back
Top Bottom