CB125: the mighty mite

The CB125 tank is going to be used on my CB350 project. But if that changes, I'll let you know.

It has been a while, but I've made progress on the bit that has been holding me back. Got enough spare time to weld up the rear hoop. Now I can mock up the seat, battery tray and rear fender then paint it black.

My new suspension seems legit...

Just mocking up the height actually. I need larger than stock shocks since the old seat had a cutout for travel. The new one will not.

Got the seat started tonight. Got some leather-looking vinyl from a fabric store. Pinched it from the bottom and sewed a line across it. Did this every two inches or so. It gave the fabric a nice ribbed look.

Pinch and sew

The backside

The front

Gotta work on the seat pan now...

I'm debating mocking up the battery/electronics tray with some cardboard tonight, but I may just wait until the weekend arrives.

I've moved it from the basement to the deck. Shit's gettin real...

I finished up the seat pan but am waiting for the undercoating on the fender to finish drying before moving on. Once it dries I'll attach it and upholster the seat with the fabric I sewed up a day or so ago. Gotta go spend some money over at DCC on some new shocks and other odds and ends.

Looking good. I really like the way it sits.

Jordan

I never re-jetted after putting the new pipe and ditching the stock airbox. So yes there was a decrease in top speed, but probably not just due to the shortened exhaust.

well most people as you might have heard have found lifting the needle up one groove has sorted it out a lot! All though a rejet would be the best way to go by far.

When going pods/stacks on these bikes most people also find that you need to go down a jet not bigger. That is what I had to do on mine. Odd, but I'm sure there is some science in there.

Hey Rimmy, did you buy or fab that seat hoop? I'm curious how buys are bending these up so nicely.

Yeah, I've read that dropping the needle down may help. I'm curious to see what problems I've created with a shortened and more free flowing exhaust. I kind of want to find a nice stock exhaust again so I could help get rid of that headache. But I'm going to try with what I have before I go spending more money....

Coyote, I bought the hoop from Dime City Cycles, its a 7/8" upswept, but it didn't fit perfectly. The radius of the hoop was a little too large for the frame. I tried to bend it with a BFH and a ratchet strap, but it ended up not working so well. I ended up taking about an inch out of the center and welded it back together, so that way it would fit perfectly into the frame with the frame slugs I had a friend make.

Jordan

Cool man, looks great on there. Trying to find someone that can just bend one out in the proper diameter so my lazy ass doesn't have to break out the chop saw and welder!

I wouldn't rush into it quite yet, Running it shorter will give you a little more top end if you manage to set up the baffling on it correctly!

Added with a K&N and some jetting, the more power you can squeeze out of it the better. But as always, nothing beats displacement.

Re-did the seat pan. Version 2.0 is a lot nicer having used tee nuts. I wrapped the seat in the fabric i sewed up too. Didn't turn out quite as expected. I used some foam on the base and some batting on top of that. I figured the batting would give it enough fluff to puff out the ridges, but it sits flat. It isn't too bad though. Anyhow, I have yet to bridge the gap between the tank mount with either a small bit of fabric to match the seat, or a small plate painted the same color as the tank. Any suggestions?

Should be a fun weekend, I'm hoping to get a good bit more done. Once my new shocks come in from DCC I should be taking her for a ride!

I've been reworking the electrical system and trying to hide as much as I can. Got a box from DCC today too. New shocks! I'm pretty happy they clear and add enough length so I actually can have a suspension that won't bottom out! I'm a little upset to see my wooden shock go though...

Hopefully this weekend I'll be able to drive it to my buddy's garage where my welder is. I need to toss a few tabs onto the rear to mount the fender. Pretty excited.

-Jordan

Made a new seat pan. The old one was junk really... I used some heavy gauge Al sheet and some rivet nuts. I'm really going to have to get a rivet nut tool instead of messing around with the washer/nut/bolt frustrating way. But it worked! I added a bit of JB weld as an extra layer of security just to be certain that they don't loosen up. Anyhow, this setup is strong enough to mount the rear fender and tank to. I've already got the new seat cover made up and some neoprene padding already cut. I have to add a few more rivnuts to it for the tank and fender then I'll wrap it up and be good to go.

Looks good.........getting the itch to go out and play with my little cb100.

It's in pieces and strung out between the packed garage and storage shed.

thanks. I know the feeling. This poor little guy has been sitting in front of my apartment waiting to be finished for far too long. I really hope to have it streetable by the end of the week, but we'll see...

It runs again! I cleaned the carb in the beginning of the summer and it had been sitting empty since. The bike normally kicks over on the first or second try. I had no luck at first. Turns out it was full of water... I had a tarp covering it, but I guess some found its way through and onto the exposed filter element. Anyhow, I drained it and it kicked over on the second try! Can't wait to finish the seat though, the Al was a little uncomfortable...

Back
Top Bottom