Found a BSA...part II... '67 B44

Re: Found a BSA... ain't telling where part 2

buckeyebike said:
Awesome news- the chase is the best part ;)

I agree 100%, that as far as BSA twin ownership goes, the chase would be the best part of it.

Dude $450 is a steal! Cant wait to see what you end up with...since its all a mystery ha

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk 2

After all a BSA isn't a Triumph. LOL

I do remember seeing a new shiny Spitfire back when I was an impressionable teenager and fell in lust with it. It was gorgeous and sounded great. And twin GP carbs...OMG. You get the picture.

I agree 100%, that as far as BSA twin ownership goes, the chase would be the best part of it.

Yeah, especially when you already have its cousins in the garage as mates ;)

The Lightning had been sitting under blankets in a cc garage since '96; drained the bowls, cleaned the lines, new battery and within a couple minutes, it was rumbling. Great sound . . . can't wait to get it on the road.

No really. I had a BSA 650 A10 and a few extra motors for it. Also had a DBD Goldstar and a 68' Spitfire and a B40 and a B50.

Having had a look inside several BSA twin engines, I am sure I would never want another one, and if someone gave me one free I would not be able to trade it away fast enough. the cranks have that stupid plain bushing on the timing side and the rods with their aluminum caps go out of round easily when beat on, and that is besides the A50/65 being the ugliest British parallel twin engine ever, looks like a big suppository.

The Goldstars are okay, but have become "me Too" Club items, overpriced toys with nice engines and an average chassis.

The unit singles are good grocery getters as are the unit twins, but I would not recommend anyone go out of their way pursuing one if they could get some other Brit or old Jap for the same trouble and price.

I was a member of a BSA owners club branch 30 years ago and the members used to cry and wonder why their BSAs were not bringing as good a collector prices as Triumphs and Nortons. I knew the answer to that question, it was because in comparison they are PsOS and simply not worth as much. Which is why I ditched all mine and moved over to featherbed Nortons.

Cool, thanks for the insight . . . I love my new BSA, and the others.

I pray to all that is holy that some glorious day I'll know what its like to be as cool and badass as Norton Guy.

(Puke...)

Good luck with it. I kept my last BSA (Goldstar) just long enough for the kicker arm to snap off. On the first kick through. I've had several good twins, just happened to get a lemon with that single.

Too bad you didn't know me in July of 99 when I literally GAVE AWAY 2 1964 Triumph T120C Bonnies. Was moving out of state and they were not coming with us. They'd cost me a junk Panhead frame (bottom rails were rotted through) that had been chopped Captain America style, molded with marine epoxy, and rattle canned with engine paint (Chevy blue). Could have had them, with papers, for the cost of fuel to come get them... but you'd still be working on them, they were complete but some kind of rough...

Get your project, get us some photos, have fun with it. I'll take a beat Brit twin over a beat Jap twin any day, I like both, but the Brit bike is a bit more interesting 9 times out of ten. I may even still have all my Whitworth tools floating around here, there are boxes in the attic and barn that haven't been touched since 2001...

Wow bud, awesome tale! Wish I'd have known you then too! Since I already have the A65 twin, I'm interested in the tools if you were serious. If you get a chance to dig them out, send me a PM. :D

I'll look for them. We have several outbuildings that stuff disappears into, usually never to be seen again until some picker finds it and steals it. Which is why I offer to shoot anybody who stops and asks about scrap or looking through the property.

*UPDATE*
I stopped in the lodge on a whim to talk to the wifey and there was my mate sitting at the bar with another old Gent who say's "So I hear you like old BSA's" Turns out it was thye owner of this bike I have been hunting.
OK now we can get some info.... It's a '67... knew it is a 441 , said "Not a dirt bike, it was a road bike." Say's it's rough... but it ran when he bought it. Also NOT disassembled and seems complete. When I asked if the tank was chome and yellow and rounded or red an white with knee dents (Victor or Shooting Star) he did not know. Seems when he bought it either had no tank or he has forgotten since then He has bought a new tank and other spares (?)
He is retired and always home, got his phone number / directions and a tentative date with him and the bike Saturday. ;D

Nice. I'd like to have a spare $2000 since there's one for sale in WV with no title.

I bought a brand new B44 Victor special back in '69 - wish I'd never parted with it!

The Victor tank was polished aluminium (aluminum, for our American audience) and yellow with a white pin-stripe. It had a rubber bung closing access to the single tank mounting bolt, but they were always falling out.

Nostalgia tends to gloss over the difficult starting, the vibration, and the insane variety of screw threads used.

Crazy

Alright, Saturday was a bust... Sunday was Mom and Daughter #2's birfday party... so yesterday (Monday) I gave the guy a ring after work and set up to go see it finally. Super guy, offers me a beer and starts telling the bikes history.
He bought it as a runner "several" years ago and wanted to restore it. He had a friend who worked on bikes and took it over there... where is sat untouched for years. Eventually this guy recovers the bike to find it was in worse shape cosmetically from the humid conditions in the Pole Barn the "Wrench" kept it in.

B44R_zps836d2537.jpg

She looks to be really complete for the most part, but rough around the chrome. Engine turns over, no chain so I didn't want to move the shifter. Headlamp ears are tweeked to one side. meh... no biggy. Then out comes the flashlight. Engine #'s are B44R 55* so it is a 441 Victor Roadster according to this chart from Britbike.com. Also worth noting is that "R" designation is the first year for a road going B44, prior to that they were off road models.
It would become a "Shooting Star" in 68 and onwards until the end.

Model / Engine Frame #
B44 VICTOR GRAND PRIX / B44
B44 VICTOR ENDURO / B44EA
B44 VICTOR ROADSTER / B44R

Seats been recovered (poorly) the aluminum tank has a dent to the rear center... Then I notice there are no plug wire, next the nuts on the outter head studs were removed, I asked hime if there was more to the bike and he said there was a box of spares when he took it to storage at his buddy's but none returned, never to be seen again. What you see is what you get and is dead set on $400. He is looking for the title now. That will be the clincher if I take it home or not... but that square fin shaped 441cc single looks so friggin sweet, my head is full of all sorts of ideas.
He say's I am the only one who he has spoke to on it so it's not going anywhere soon.

Back
Top Bottom