Kawasaki KZ650 "Bansai" Cafe

bhppy101

I havent posted any of my projects on dotheton.com in a while so I thought I should post something :)

I picked up a "MINT" KZ650 with only 10,000 miles... I was going to keep it completely stock so someone could keep it as a collectable but the unfortunate happened. The gentleman that I picked it up from kept it stored indoors with all of the fluids emptied for many many years. I couldnt believe how new the bike looked when I picked it up.... seriouly...almost like it just rolled off the factory floor.

Well to make a long story short.... I filled it up with all the fluids she needed including brake fluid for the front master cyl. Well....heres where the unfortunate happened... The seal for the master cyl.....leaked all over my gas tank and bubbled up the paint to the metal. BUMMER!!!!

So I decided to give it the cafe treatment.

I built a seat.... If anyone wants to buy one... I actually made a mould of this one to reproduce.

I primered the seat and tank yesterday... Painted the tank a metallic jade.... Taped it off this morning for some black along with some black checkers. The seat will be completely black as well.

dsc00003zc.jpg

dsc00001ig.jpg

forcefanajd said:
more pictures of the seat and dimensions please.

Yes please!! More seat info!! ;D

Looks good so far! Keep those pics and info comin'! 8) 8)

Heres some dimensions:

27 1/2" long
8" wide in the front
10 3/8" in the middle at the widest point
14" long in the seating area
2" tall from the bottom to the seating area... I made this taller than I am using so it can be trimmed to your needs :)
9" tall from the bottom to the top of the hump
4 3/4" wide at the back
5 3/4" tall from the bottom of the rear to the top of the rear arch.... again... som extra was left so you can trim to your disired height.

The rear can hold a round common tail light or most of the lucas style lights out there.

I will post more pics after I'm done painting and its back on the bike so you can see how I trimmed mine up.... and also get a better Idea how it looks on the bike.

I made this seat specifically for a KZ650 but it will also fit most other mid size to larger bikes.

These pics are of the actual seat before I trimmed mine. I made a couple of seats :)

dsc000011.jpg

dsc00005b.jpg

dsc00006ao.jpg

dsc00007qs.jpg

dsc00008z.jpg

dsc00009bc.jpg

dsc00010w.jpg

dsc00011yt.jpg

hmm.....id love to see what it looks like on a cb450 before id buy one.....how much are you asking for them, how soon could you fulfill an order?

just finished with 4 coats of PPG BMW Black. I'm going to unmask the tank and shoot about 4 or 5 coats of PPG clear. Hopefully it will be dry enough to pit it back on the bike late this afternoon to get a better idea on what its going to look like

dsc000032.jpg

dsc000022.jpg

forcefanajd said:
hmm.....id love to see what it looks like on a cb450 before id buy one.....how much are you asking for them, how soon could you fulfill an order?

Ask and you shall receive :) just snapped this pic with the KZ650 seat on my 70 cb450. If you remove the seat latch where the back oif the tank mounts....it will bring the seat down about an inch. The first pic shows the regular seat....the other pics shows where I would trim it for this bike (green tape)

What year is you CB450? I am building a new plug right now specifically for a 1970 CB450 and it should be ready to by next week ;D The new plug is smaller

dsc000033.jpg

dsc000042.jpg

dsc000051.jpg

dsc000061.jpg

Mounted the tank and seat up and snapped a few pics.... I'll take some more ouside once I get my tail light and turn signals on

dsc000052b.jpg

dsc00014de.jpg

dsc00012md.jpg

dsc000081h.jpg

dsc000071.jpg

Nice work!! 8) 8)

You'll probably have a few interested folks PMing ya! :D

78kz said:
Looking good.
Will you have any guages on it?
8)

Thanks.

Yes... I was going to mount a mini speedo but I changed my mind and I am fabbing up a bracket to use the original gauges both speedo and tach. it will lower it quite a bit from stock to keep the look low profile

I only wish my 78 kz650 looked like that... are you keeping the dual pips.. or maybe doing a header? i got a oldskool original Kerker 4 to 1 setup..jetted and with pods let me tell you it breaths!!!

Back
Top Bottom