My weekend with Stebel

beardking

Screwing things up daily
Well, my 99 Nighthawk 750 isn't really a cafe or even all that modified, but I really like the cafe look so I keep lurking here. That being said, I figured I'd show off the modification I did make to my bike this weekend (only show, no shine ;D )

Today, I got to work on installing this horn on my bike. That's right, the Nighthawk is now going to scare the pants off of those morons that keep trying to kill me on my commute to/from work. Photos below:

My black and blue version of the Stebel:

2447271013_9945a2546d_b.jpg

Actually, that's the taped off and now painted flat black version, I just wasn't a big fan of the shiny stuff showing up.

This will be the new home of my Stebel, currently the home of the oil cooler, they've decided to move in together. I'm hoping it will be a long and harmonious relationship.

2448094406_448914b47a_b.jpg

Here is the Stebel all snuggled up to it's new buddy, the oil cooler:

2447271863_3e117b584e_b.jpg

Stebel wired for sound:

2447270717_e0edbdb9ae_b.jpg

Here is the location of the relay for the horn. This horn pulls 20 amps each time you push that little button to announce your presence. Many have ruined their wiring by not installing the relay between the horn switch and the actual horn.

2448094540_2021f9b0d0_b.jpg

And here is a head on view of the Stebel mounted. Like how the flat black blends into the dirt and debris from actually riding my bike to work all week?

2448093998_1214937822_b.jpg

Now for the best part, here is what my new horn sounds like:

http://www.youtube.com/v/FBp54sP5nmQ&hl=en

Dig the Tool playing in the background??

ha. this is the most entertaining post i have seen for awhile. and yes, i dig the TOOL playing int he background.
nicely done sir

So the relay just goes inline between the horn switch and the new horn? I've been thinking about one of these for my BMW for a long time but haven't gotten around to ordering one. Maybe today's the day.

Did you order through eBay or elsewhere?

Yeah, it's a 30 amp relay that comes with the horn (or at least mine did, I've heard some say their's didn't). You have to mount it within 8" of the positve terminal on the battery. I got mine from www.bikerhiway.com and I ordered the wiring kit with it. I liked having everything I needed at hand, but if you do much wiring, you probably can cobble together your own setup a little better. The wires were almost too short for my use.

Yup... have had one on Mojo for a few years now... 139db of turning blue hair white  ;D

Got mine from http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/2137/

Nice!
haha.

I'd like to have a louder horn on my bike but I might have a hard time hiding that one.

Would be nice to scare the pants of some pedestrians... Or you know... let a-holes know they cut you off... rather then having to catch up to em to flip em off or "what-have-you" :-X

Well, my original location of the Stebel did not pan out. So, last night I relocated it to just beneath my headlight. It's a bit more out there (alright, a lot), but it's not hitting anything and it's stable, so that's the important thing. Oh, and it's loud as f........umm, loud. :)

The bracket that I made is a simple piece of aluminum barstock that I had around the garage. I bent a bit of a curve into it to move the mounting point a little higher. I then mounted it to the two lower pinch bolts on my front forks. I don't think it's going anywhere. Next week, after I get back from my trip to OK starting tomorrow, I'll take it apart and smooth out the corners of the bracket and paint it to match the horn better.
2456231668_ecd272865e_b.jpg

Ah...there's your problem...you need a LOUD horn because your signals are too small to be seen...

Seriously, though, I like those signals, what are they?

Thats fantastic! I'd love to shove that up every yahoo's ass when they pull out in front of me!!!!

Pugsley said:
Ah...there's your problem...you need a LOUD horn because your signals are too small to be seen...

Seriously, though, I like those signals, what are they?

They are Lockhart Phillips Short Stalk III's. I have the dual filament on the front to retain my running lights and single on the rear. The dual ones were hard to find, and I can't even find the website that my wife got them from anymore, or I'd link to them for you. They actually show up fairly well for how small they are, I was surprised.

Back
Top Bottom