72 CL350 Build - Done!!!! - lots of pics

WNTITAL

Been Around the Block
So I thought I would start my first postings with my build. I have been eyeing the cafe style for a while now and decided it was time. I started looking around Craigslist and found a decent one. When I inquired about it, the women that posted it was the original owner. I know what your thinking, yeah right! Well, I cannot tell a lie. It was true. She was the origninal owner and even provided me with the original sales reciept. The title is also from '72. I couldn't believe it!!! The bike is not running right now and has been sitting in her house for ever. She said it ran 5 or so years ago, but not since then. I thought $600 was a good deal considering I plan on doing everything myself. Here are some pics.

72Honda350CL001.jpg

72Honda350CL009.jpg

72Honda350CL017.jpg

Check out the vintage IL plate!
72Honda350CL016.jpg

72Honda350CL015.jpg

and yes those are the original miles!
72Honda350CL021.jpg

72Honda350CL019.jpg

Now for the questions. I would like some opinions on what I should start doing first. My thoughts were to get it running first and then start the tear down and rebuild. What is everyone elses thoughts?

Once I have some answers, the build will start. No suggestions will be ignored.

Re: 72 CL350 Build - This is my first so be gentle

Hey! Welcome in :).

First thing you need to check its if the engine is in good condition, so the basic, compression test etc will tell you if these something wrong with cylinder or pistons.

If you can save the engine, its gonna cost you less money and less time!

Did a quick step on the kick start and the cyclinders at least move. There is a leak of oil at the bottom left side of the motor but still has oil in the resevoir.

WNTITAL said:
Did a quick step on the kick start and the cyclinders at least move. There is a leak of oil at the bottom left side of the motor but still has oil in the resevoir.

Engine is leaking oil but no big deal, it can come from a used gasket. You can change it easily,

Check where it came from,

Buy a compression tester to find out if the compression is good, i guess anything above 120 psi is bad. Someone? Correct me.

Thanks.

I have a compression tester. I just picked the bike up today around 3 so maybe sometime tomorrow I can make the test. I also got a service manual with it so that may have the compression numbers in it but any help would be greatly appreciated.

WNTITAL said:
I have a compression tester. I just picked the bike up today around 3 so maybe sometime tomorrow I can make the test. I also got a service manual with it so that may have the compression numbers in it but any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm not specialized in cb350 but post questions, inquiries and worries on this website, you're at the right place ;) someone will get you on the right way.

Thanks for the help. I'll keep you posted on what I find out.

Nice find. Don't forget to throw your dog a bone over there>

thirsty 1 said:
Nice find. Don't forget to throw your dog a bone over there>

The dog(Winston) always gets a bone!!

I don't know if anyone noticed but check out the spelling of the title on the folder the lady provided me. I guess back in '72 they spelled it different. ;D

Well I started the work to get it running. I took off one of the carbs tonight and dissasembled it. Here is what I got. Not to bad.

CarbTearDown001.jpg

CarbTearDown002.jpg

On this one. Notice the little gouges. I'm not sure if this will make a difference when I put it back together so I may just hit it with some 1000 grit to knock it down.
CarbTearDown003.jpg

Completely apart
CarbTearDown004.jpg

I have a few questions as I haven't rebuilt a carb in over 15 years, is can I drop the whole carb in the cleaner along with all the jets and so forth or is this not recommended? Also, check out the small, what I guess is the rubber o-ring that once graced the jet. Can I just replace it with another o-ring of it's size or do I need special ones? The only one I don't have in my kit is the smallest one pictured here:
CarbTearDown009.jpg

Also, the rubber gasket that sits on the float bowl is not in great shape. Is this a part I can buy on it's own or do I have to buy a whole kit?

Thanks for any help anyone can provide. More to come soon.

joevirus563 said:
Buy a compression tester to find out if the compression is good, i guess anything above 120 psi is bad. Someone? Correct me.

I would hope not! Should be 150 to 170 psi.

You can simply replace the small o-ring with one of the same size.

The carb bowl gaskets, the correct ones at least, can be a bit hard to find, but if you find the right size diameter O shaped gasket, you can just get one that is too big, cut it to size, then use gasket sealent to join the two cut ends.

If you are getting carb rebuild kits, you'll probably need to buy jets seperately as the ones in the kits seem to just be randomly tossed in the bags and can be any number of random sizes.

Your compression should be at 150 - 160 psi in a perfect motor. If its below 120 psi, youre in trouble. Could be a simple fix, could be a pain in the ass. Anytime a bike sits that long, you should replace every gasket you can. Head gasket, and side covers are easy swaps. Youll need a chain breaker though for the head gasket. You can dip the entire carb, yes... JUST DONT DIP ANYTHING THATS NOT METAL. The cleaner will eat it up.

Thanks for help. I'm not going to split the motor just yet. I want to see if I can get it running then do a warm compression test. I did a cold test and got around 150. Don't know if it will be any different when I do a warm one, but someone else mentioned it. Also, that's good to know about the carb.

Also, in a carb rebuild kit, what do you normally get? I would think new jets, gaskets and a float would be what comes to mind, but like I said. I haven't rebuilt a carb in over 15 years so they may do things different now.

Lastly, I have seen some of the parts suppliers mentioned out there before, like Old Bike Barn and so forth. Anyone have recommendations for a carb rebuild kit?

Thanks again for all the help.

WNTITAL said:
Thanks for help. I'm not going to split the motor just yet. I want to see if I can get it running then do a warm compression test. I did a cold test and got around 150. Don't know if it will be any different when I do a warm one, but someone else mentioned it. Also, that's good to know about the carb.

Also, in a carb rebuild kit, what do you normally get? I would think new jets, gaskets and a float would be what comes to mind, but like I said. I haven't rebuilt a carb in over 15 years so they may do things different now.

Lastly, I have seen some of the parts suppliers mentioned out there before, like Old Bike Barn and so forth. Anyone have recommendations for a carb rebuild kit?

Thanks again for all the help.
If you did a cold compression test and got 150psi then you're golden. the compression should increase when warm. Anyhow, to avoid problems down the road, I would swap the valve seals at least. Once an engine this old has been sitting around, those seals can get hard and brittle. You don't want them cracking up after riding like that for a while. Might as well do it while you are in this stage of the build.

You got 150 cold? That's awesome! Pretty impressive from a motor that's been sitting that long.

Looking at the manual and other threads, how hard is it really to rebuild these motors? There's not much to them from what I can tell. I think the hardest part would be breaking the chain. Also, can you buy an engine rebuild kit? I have seen the gasket kits out there, but what about the new valve seats and so forth?

Good to know about the compression!

Unless you go all race parts, which isnt good for a street bike, and VERY expensive, you have to piece it all together. The rebuild isnt difficult. All ya need is a chain breaker for the cam chain. IF YOU DO REBUILD... Replace the cam chain guide. The stockers are blotto.

Ringo said:
You got 150 cold? That's awesome! Pretty impressive from a motor that's been sitting that long.

I have to tell you the engine looks pretty good. The person I bought it from stored the bike with no gas in it. this may have been the saving grace for it. I was actually astonished when I say the number!

VonYinzer said:
Unless you go all race parts, which isnt good for a street bike, and VERY expensive, you have to piece it all together. The rebuild isnt difficult. All ya need is a chain breaker for the cam chain. IF YOU DO REBUILD... Replace the cam chain guide. The stockers are blotto.

Thanks for the heads up. Any suggestions on who to get parts from? Is the local Honda dealer the easiest?

Back
Top Bottom