72 CL350 Build - Done!!!! - lots of pics

Re: 72 CL350 Build - This is my first so be gentle

The carb kits may not have everything you need. they come with some of the jets but not al of them. the orings are tough to find. most o rings that diameter are too thick. im sure they exist its just a matter of finding them. there are some kits on ebay that come with a selection of jets to allow you to jet the carbs for exhaust and pods. thats the route i would go. DCC has the orings for the float bowls. pretty cheap too.

thompsonmx100 said:
The carb kits may not have everything you need. they come with some of the jets but not al of them. the orings are tough to find. most o rings that diameter are too thick. im sure they exist its just a matter of finding them. there are some kits on ebay that come with a selection of jets to allow you to jet the carbs for exhaust and pods. thats the route i would go. DCC has the orings for the float bowls. pretty cheap too.

Thanks for the advice. I will have to check around out there to see what I can find.

Thanks.

Finally had some time to work on the bike to get it running.

I have been able to take the carbs apart and glad that I did. They cleaned up great, but I notice something that may cause some issues. Here are some befores and afters and of course my cause for concern.

Before:
72Honda350CL003.jpg

After:
72Honda350CL009-1.jpg

Some complete dissasembly pics:
72Honda350CL008.jpg

72Honda350CL013.jpg

72Honda350CL010.jpg

72Honda350CL011.jpg

Here is my problem. When I took the carb out of the cleaner, I wondered why it didn't move very freely. Here is why:

72Honda350CL006.jpg

72Honda350CL005.jpg

72Honda350CL004.jpg

I don't think I can repair this, so the hunt for a new carb to canabalize is in process. Kinda a bummer, but what do you expect from something 38 years old.

I also ran into another issue when I started to remove the points in preperation for new ones. I thought something was up when I noticed the screws looked like someone tried to get them out and didn't have an impact screwdriver. Once I got them removed I noticed this:

72Honda350CL024-1.jpg

72Honda350CL023-1.jpg

I'm not sure if they sell this piece seperatley or if I have to find a used one on eBay. Any suggestions on this would be great. I'm sure this could be why the previous owner was having problems getting it started. I looks like they tried to give it a tune up, but they didn't really know what they were doing.

In the meantime I have ordered my replacement parts from DCC and I have so say these guys are great. Herm has been really responsive to my emails. I won't have the parts till mid next week as the carb rebuild kits are on backorder. Oh well, it gives me time to think about the style I want to go with. I have been researching many different styles for what I want to do. I really gained alot of information and ideas from Spidermans build and like the idea of some polished parts with painted parts. Alot of good ideas have come from this site, so props go out to all who have contributed to my ideas.

I think since I'm waiting on parts, I will start to tear a few more things off that I know I won't be using and maybe start on my seat build. I did tear off the light tonight as it looks totally unfixable.

72Honda350CL018-2.jpg

72Honda350CL021-1.jpg

Gotta run. Anyone got any ideas or suggestions please let me know. More to come later. Thanks for reading.

You should be able to fix the choke door thing. Use a vise and if needed a hammer to get it back to being flat, then if welding isn't an option, jb weld it. At this point in the carb there is no gas, so you won't have to worry about the jb weld getting eaten by it. As for the timing lobe, you maybe be able to find one at servicehonda.com, if not there should be points assemblies on ebay for not too much. Or you could use this as a reason to spring for an electronic ignition setup. But then again, as your first project, its good to learn to set up the timing on a points system and know how to maintain it.

boomshakalaka said:
You should be able to fix the choke door thing. Use a vise and if needed a hammer to get it back to being flat, then if welding isn't an option, jb weld it. At this point in the carb there is no gas, so you won't have to worry about the jb weld getting eaten by it. As for the timing lobe, you maybe be able to find one at servicehonda.com, if not there should be points assemblies on ebay for not too much. Or you could use this as a reason to spring for an electronic ignition setup. But then again, as your first project, its good to learn to set up the timing on a points system and know how to maintain it.

Boomshakalaka - Thanks for the advice, but will JB weld be oaky once gas is introduced. I've never been a huge fan of it but I'm worried it could come apart after I have it all together. Also, the timing lobe isn't my problem or the points. It's the plate the points mount to. Take a close look at the top of the plate. The bottom and sides are fully seated but the top is not. This is the cause for my concern.

Anyone else have any suggestions?

WNTITAL, i have a extra one for you. PM me your info and i can get you that part for the choke no problem.

need4steed said:
WNTITAL, i have a extra one for you. PM me your info and i can get you that part for the choke no problem.

PM Sent.

Thanks again Need4steed!!!!!!

Have you tried just readjusting the points plate? Ive had 350s where the plate doesnt want to seat. Just needed to play with it a bit.

VonYinzer said:
Have you tried just readjusting the points plate? Ive had 350s where the plate doesnt want to seat. Just needed to play with it a bit.

I don't think readjusting it will work as it's bent. Moving it to the left or right I don't believe will make a difference. I thought about that myself, but after trying it with just the plate and no points, it just wasn't happening.

I ordered a new plate with points for $20 shipped.

man.. the PO of this bike really liked to bang on and pry at things that should not be banged on or pried on. As for the lobe, I would be concerned if that is (it looks like it is) heavily pitted and if its on the actuating surface of the lobe (the part that sticks out and will actually make contact.) As for the JB weld, like I said it is the choke plate, so there is no gas at this point. Gas is introduced to the air stream after the choke plate. Even if we imagine that there could be gas at this point in the carb, it would be vapor, so it would not be like the JB weld is soaking in gas.

Your right. I guess I was just concerned about back wash. No worries though as need4steed has an extra one for me and lives in the area for me to get it quick.

As for the lobe. Do you think I can just take some emery cloth and give it a once over? I know it's kinda rusty looking and may not make good contact with the points so I was hoping a lite sanding would give it good contact.

Any thoughts on that?

Re: 72 CL350 Build - updated 11/13/10

Started to do some checking on things while I wait for some parts. I took the rear fender off as I probably won't be putting it back on. I also removed the cover for the alternator and front sprocket cover. Nothing look to bad just dirty. Here are some pics.

72Honda350CL001-2.jpg

72Honda350CL002-1.jpg

I did find one thing that looked wrong. I found this wire all taped up with electrical tape. I checked my manual and it says that it shoudl have an in line 15amp fuse. Not sure what it's for, but being near the battery should help me narrow it down.

72Honda350CL004-1.jpg

72Honda350CL010-1.jpg

72Honda350CL011-1.jpg

72Honda350CL012-1.jpg

I did notice something that didn't look right. Take a look at this wire. It's not connected to anything and not sure if it's supposed to be. Anyone got any ideas on this one?

72Honda350CL014-1.jpg

72Honda350CL016-1.jpg

Also, take a look at the rectifier, do you think this needs to be replaced?
72Honda350CL005-1.jpg

That's all for now.

Re: 72 CL350 Build - updated 12/7/10

Well, it's been a while since I posted back on my progress. Alot of projects that the wife has had me doing plus I had to winterize my Buell.

I started to put everything back together after rebuilding the carbs and mounting them back on the bike. I got everything together and connected all the lines to the carbs and filled it with oil and gas. Since the button for the push start doesn't seem to want to work it's kick start all the way. I don't have a battery for it so I hooked up my battery charger and set it to 12v 50amp to make sure I had enough juice. I started kicking and nothing. I kept kicking and nothing. I squirted a little starter fluid in the carbs and kicked again. Still nothing. I check the fuel lines and everything is good there. It was getting late so I had to quite so I did not check for spark yet. With that said, I have some questions:

1) What is the best way to check for spark?
2) Is there a certain way to prime the carbs? - Haven't worked with carbs in a while so I thought I'd ask. I believe the answer is no, but any help is good.
3) Should I not be using the battery charger? - Bike get's power, indicator light showing nuetral does light up.
4) Any thing else I should check for?

Gas was fresh, tank was not rusty before I put gas in it, carbs have been totally rebuilt.

Look forward to hearing some suggestions.

Lastly, since I don't want to waste alot of time getting it running right now. I have four donor bikes all complete. - Don't ask how I got them, but it was a great deal! I thought of just tearing the motor down completely, doing a rebuild and then try to get it running when it's all back together. Since most everyone told me to get it running before the tear down that's what I am doing. I also have some fab work to do for the rearsets and seat, so I want to have enough time to do that as well. I would like to have it all done by Feb so I can start on one of the other four bikes I have.

Thanks.

Re: 72 CL350 Build - updated 12/7/10

Here is some updated pics of my progress:

I cut down the front fender. Not sure If I will put it back on but did it anyways in case I change my mind:

HondaCL350096.jpg

HondaCL350097.jpg

HondaCL350099.jpg

Decided to weld up the battery box. I never welded before so bought a welder and gave it a shot. Here are the results:

HondaCL350112.jpg

HondaCL350130.jpg

HondaCL350132.jpg

Done and installed:
HondaCL350135.jpg

Messed around with a couple of tanks. Here is a CB550:
HondaCL350126.jpg

Finally settle on a CB450:
HondaCL350005.jpg

Cut down the seat pan. Notice the width before and after.
HondaCL350002.jpg

HondaCL350006.jpg

Here is how I made the hoop:
HondaCL350009.jpg

The results:
HondaCL350010.jpg

Installed:
HondaCL350011.jpg

Cut the frame:
HondaCL350014.jpg

Welded up the back:
HondaCL350018.jpg

Cut a piece to fit in:
HondaCL350022.jpg

All done:
HondaCL350015.jpg

HondaCL350016.jpg

Waiting on some parts. Tailight for fitment and new battery. The box doesn't fit a factory size one so the guys at DCC at one that will fit. I plan on keep both kickstarter and push button starter. Once I finish with my last bit of fab work I will tear it down for paint and polish. I have a little more to do and then I need to start on the motor.

Re: 72 CL350 Build - updated pics and progress 3/7/10

That looks great man. You took to welding pretty quickly. My only thought is that you shouldnt "box" a bettery in metal like that. You want it to get some air passing over it so it doenst overheat and boil.

Add some like small air scoops on the sides that almost run the entire length. That would look pretty bitchin'.

Got it covered. The battery I'm using is a gell cell battery. I checked with the manufactuer and they indicated no problems with mounting it that way. Plus the top is completley open and theres about an 1 1/2 between the seat and battery. Shouldn't be a problem.

Re: 72 CL350 Build - updated pics and progress 4/21/11

Here are some updated pics of my progress. Things are moving along well and I'm pushing myself to try and get everything ready to go to the powder coater.

New tail light:
AudiandHondaMotorcycle004.jpg

AudiandHondaMotorcycle010.jpg

AudiandHondaMotorcycle006.jpg

AudiandHondaMotorcycle007.jpg

AudiandHondaMotorcycle012.jpg

Here is the rear footpeg bracket that I'm keeping but cut it down.

Before:

AudiandHondaMotorcycle015.jpg

After:

AudiandHondaMotorcycle046.jpg

Finished up the seat mouting. I just welded some bolts to the seatpan and brackets to the frame. These just fit into those and are held onto with the bolts.

AudiandHondaMotorcycle009.jpg

AudiandHondaMotorcycle008.jpg

Here are some of the other parts dissasembled. Note my cheap motor stand. I had some old brackets lying around and used those with some scrap steel to make it. About $3 worth of stuff. Plus it let me practice my welding skills. Not bad but I need to keep working at it.

AudiandHondaMotorcycle014.jpg

My new polisher. Thanks to good old mom. I got this for Christmas from her.

AudiandHondaMotorcycle050.jpg

I did a quick job on this fork tube. About 10 min worth. Let me know what you think.

AudiandHondaMotorcycle051.jpg

Let me know what everyone thinks. Opinions, suggestions, ideas, etc....

Your rear wheel is going to hit that frame brace and the brake light on the first medium-sized bump, or smaller. For safety's sake, please consider raising the back end, or coming up with something different back there.

Not trying to piss in your wheaties here, just sayin'.

I have already taken that into consideration. I doesn't hit right now with full pressure on the rear of the bike. The shocks that are on the bike were different from factory. They are only 12 in shocks. The new ones are 13 in so it shouldn't be a problem. Also, I still have to grind down some spots and I may change the curvature anyways as I'm not to excited about the way it really looks.

Thanks for the concern.

Back
Top Bottom