Flex Pipe undertail exhaust review and pics.

Actually guys, the only part of the frame that needed to come off was the helmet hook. I just clipped that off. I plan to use a stock seat pan and mount the cowl to it so I can keep the swinging seat for easy access to the electronics then just re foam the stock seat pan.

I was toying with a flat black and red rising sun on the cowl. We'll see.

Ok.....I've been looking for a set of CL450 pipes for my 500T for a while now, planning to run them with a pair of Harley take off bullet mufflers.

Way to go man! Thank a lot!!!!! Totally ruin my plans by making me want to copy you..... :mad:

Which I will........

Nice job, I love the whole thing, very simple, I bet it barks like mad! I have a tubing bender so I'll make some hard pipes for it but I really like what you've got going there. I will probably still use the Hardley mufflers since my girl will be riding it more than I and she's just not quite as willing to deal with the decibels....

I do worry about bottoming out though, looks like that may be an issue for you.....

Do everyone a favor and wrap that flex pipe please ! ;D
Some black headerwrap would make everyone think that was actual hard pipe.
Just an idea...

I second Pro's thought on the flex pipe. Is there any way of getting a smaller diameter flex pipe, so that the diameter somewhat matches the orginal pipes. Looks pretty damn cool though. Original

Fear My Twin said:
Besides that I should have mentioned earlier that I am pretty sure the 500T is a DOHC 180 degree twin. Should the cylinders be firing at the same time? Or is this a timing problem. Here is what I found on the 500t:
IN common with all previous Honda twins the CB500T used an 180° crank, as opposed to the traditional British 360° setup. Bear in mind that a 4-stroke cylinder fires once every 2 revolutions (720°) of the crank.

Sounds like I might need to finally learn how to set timing. Pug, please, please, please do a CB500T write up with pics. I will help out all 3 500T owners here lol.

But look at your points plate (or if you're a lucky bastard and found electronic ignition for that) and realise that 90 deg after one cylinder fires, the other one does...it's just the way the points work! (can't remember which, but I think left is first). The 180 crank is so that one is rising and one is falling, helping with some imbalance of the 360 crank (like a big single, all up all down), but adding a rocking and buzz. So, the left will fire, power, the right will fire 90 cam degrees later (180 crank degrees), power, a full rotation of exhaust/intake and starts all over. A 360 degree crank will power when the other is intaking and give two even pulses per crank revolution.

As for a write-up w/pics, I have just occasionally gotten the thing running and put it away. This winter should provide the opportunity to play for real...the icon is photoshopped from someone's CB/CL450 (sorry, but imitation is flattery, no?!?)...with the 'old-tank-cowl'/cl pipes breakfast special (cafe+scramble)...what I plan to do if I ever get my ass in gear.

Ya know.. its just occured to me....
Why not run a longer swingarm, cb750 or something.. then run the flex-pipe down and underneath the bike then up again between the rear wheel & the motor.??
By using a longer swingarm, the back end would be lower, (if you use stock shocks), you'll have more room to tuck in the pipes and you could just slam the front end down...

**0r**

Use a longer swingarm, use a taller shock, (to raise the back end up), this will give you more room to tuck the flex-pipes under the bike and up infront of the wheel and the increased back height, (taller shocks), will give you more tire clearance??

Fear My Twin said:
Last post. Promise.

Heres the 100% cleaner way to mount the barrels. Clamped to the splash gaurd mounting tabs. Just need a spare seat pan to mount the cowl to.

Noel...

How much longer is a CB750 Swing arm then a CB450/500T swingarm? Is it a direct swap as far as the mounting in the frame? This is an interesting idea to me cause I have been kicking around the idea of adding just a little length to my swingarm... I mean c'mon... what guy doesn't want just a little more length. :)

- Woody

locO leoN said:
Ya know.. its just occured to me....
Why not run a longer swingarm, cb750 or something.. then run the flex-pipe down and underneath the bike then up again between the rear wheel & the motor.??
By using a longer swingarm, the back end would be lower, (if you use stock shocks), you'll have more room to tuck in the pipes and you could just slam the front end down...

**0r**

Use a longer swingarm, use a taller shock, (to raise the back end up), this will give you more room to tuck the flex-pipes under the bike and up infront of the wheel and the increased back height, (taller shocks), will give you more tire clearance??

Im about to swap a GS1100E aluminum swinger onto my 750...granted its not the same, but it may help give you an idea of whats involved...its pretty straight forward, you'll likely have to drill out the frame holes for the pivot to accept the bigger collars, and in my case the swinger is about 2 inches longer, so i'll have to actually get longer shocks to retain ride hight...but its generally a pretty cake conversion.

TonUp,

Would you mind measuring your 750 swingarm's overall length? Like from the end of the dropout without the tentioners, to the outside edge of the other end? My CB450's measures 18" overall... I don't want to go crazy... just a touch longer... I think a 750 swingarm might be just the ticket.

Thanks,
Woody

TonUpSoldier said:
Im about to swap a GS1100E aluminum swinger onto my 750...granted its not the same, but it may help give you an idea of whats involved...its pretty straight forward, you'll likely have to drill out the frame holes for the pivot to accept the bigger collars, and in my case the swinger is about 2 inches longer, so i'll have to actually get longer shocks to retain ride hight...but its generally a pretty cake conversion.

I can do that..i happen to have an extra stocker laying here. Keep in mind this from a Zook 750, not a Honda. I will measure and get back to you with those momentarily!

As long as this thread has come back to life... How goes the heat wrapping the pipes with black glass?? ;D

I've been waiting to see this for too long. lol.

Hey Woody...

here ya go.
From the front of the pivot mounts to the wheel stops in the back (minus the tensioners) i have 23.5 inches.
Width at the back is 11.5 ish
width at front is 9ish inches.

If you're interested in it lemme know, It's extra so i'll let it go for cheap!
Josh

Josh,

Thanks for measuring... I'm really tempted. The length is nearly 5.5" over the stocker on my 450... but that might look pretty cool, my main concern is that the width at the back over 1" wider then mine. How much would you have to have for it? There are a bunch on ebay but I would rather get it from you. It looks like I would have to get a rear axle too... If the price is right I wouldn't mind getting it just to compare them side by side.

Is a CB550 swingarm in-between the two? Maybe that would be a better choice. Anyone want to measure your 550 arm for me?

-Woody

30 plus shipping too much?? I'll include the pivot and all the hardware for it too...If not no biggie :)

Hmmm.... let me think about it... I didn't see your earlier post about this being from a GS750 and not a CB... I need to get a couple of people to measure me their CB550s and CB750 swingarms first to see if one of those is a viable option. I'll keep yours in mind though. Thanks for your super-fast responses.

Woody

TonUpSoldier said:
30 plus shipping too much?? I'll include the pivot and all the hardware for it too...If not no biggie :)

No prob man! You'd probably be better off with a Honda swinger, but if those dont work or arent available, lemme know.

Wrapping the pipes hasn't happened yet. I got pissed off trying to tune the damn carbs and I just winterized her. Ill make an appointment for her to be fixed by a professional in the spring and then I wont mess anything up trying to fix her.

Then when shes road worthy Ill finish the pipes. :)

WHAA!!?? Aww man you gave up on her?? Well, if you feel more confident in a mech then i wish you well with that. Let us know what happens.

Not more confident, I just can't find any good walk throughs for checking the valves and I hear that its one of those things that will ruin an engine fast if you mess it up.

Plus, the carbs have driven me insane. Trying to tune a set of carbs with one hand is damn near impossible lol.

Fear My Twin said:
Not more confident, I just can't find any good walk throughs for checking the valves and I hear that its one of those things that will ruin an engine fast if you mess it up.
Plus, the carbs have driven me insane. Trying to tune a set of carbs with one hand is damn near impossible lol.

Dude.. There no shame in saying that you've done your best and that you need help!!..
If you dont know, ya simply dont know... I guess the imporant thing is that you tried!!!..
I cant count how many times Ive bloody thrown in the towel and called someone who really knows... Thats how you learn!!

Good luck with the bike!!

Back
Top Bottom