CB550 Cafe Racer ..... It is finally done

Re: CB550 Cafe

Thanks Terry

Well I know most of you know what it takes to work on and build these bikes, but here are some photos of the t-nuts that took around 2 hours to completely make (surface cut the stock, cut the stock into 4 parts, square each block, center drill, drill, then tap the holes).

I also got the rear brake turned and had new shoes put on them and I had the front rotor turned. I also drilled and did a little polish job ( not finished) on the rear hub cover.

Sorry for the phone photos,

IMG_20111115_134808.jpg

IMG_20111115_162734.jpg

IMG_20111115_172000.jpg

_MG_5643.jpg

_MG_5644.jpg

_MG_5642.jpg

The engine is almost finished up, when I painted it I taped up all the bolts so it doesn't have that cheap rattle can look. Then I went back and filed down the fins. Tomorrow I will be machining out the alternator cover, then the engine should be done.

_MG_5651.jpg

The devil is in the details, even if you will never see it.

_MG_5648.jpg

I should have this machined out tonight, I am on break from class and figured I would share this with you all. It is the alternator cover.

AltCover.jpg

Looking really good man! I wish I had some of those grips for my Bridgeport mill...now I've got to go buy them!

Thanks guys, I have put some hours in on that motor. I got to Butler County Community College, in Kansas for Composite Engineering.

Those clamps come in handy, unfortunately I did not have time to mill out the alternator cover. I will do that today and I will be using those clamps to clamp down my stock.

I got it all machined out, I was off by a little bit on the tabs and it is a little taller than I would like. I will sand down the tabs then drill holes with an end mill then tap it with a blind tap. I over engineered the center and made it .3", the next one will be .1" (coming soon with my website) I will put up photos of it polished painted and mounted soon.

IMG_20111122_181644.jpg

IMG_20111122_181656.jpg

IMG_20111122_181739.jpg

I am really excited about this piece, it is the first two sided piece I have made (it was kind of stressful). The anticipation that it was going to work, was killing me. But it worked and it is awesome next time, I will make it a smaller.

Here is the update for today, I got the alternator cover finished up and painted

_MG_5660.jpg

Thanks guys, I was pretty excited about this piece. It was a lot of fun and a little challenging making this. I finished up by filing sanding from 100, 600, 800, to the buffing wheel. I then masked off all the surfaces I wanted to keep polished, prepped everything, primed it, heated it to 300F (I don't think it will ever get to that but just in case) primed it again sanded the machining marks out then painted it semi gloss black and heat treated it again.

This build is looking Awesome! Hows that website coming? I searched for it and found some posts on other forums but no website. I'm gonna be doing a subframe rebuild in Wichita over the Holidays on my bike and I really like how you did this one. The curves really fit the bike.

Loving this so far. Can't wait to see what's next. Keep up the good work and keep posting pics!

Thanks guys, the next thing is a rolling chassis, exhaust and carbs.

Kwazy kid pm me, I would love to help in any way I can.

I got the wheels all laced up, hopefully the tires will come in early next week. I am also going tomorrow to buy a 1/4" cobalt steel drill bit to drill out the front rotor. Pictures will be coming soon.

Back
Top Bottom