My 1980 XS400 project

I dig it... I'm a sucker for all black bikes. Really nice. I especially like the bates style headlight... I just ordered one for my CL350.

Welcome to Do the Ton.

- Woody

SilentStrike said:
Love this site, great info and thank's for the comments, Greetings from Puerto Rico.

cool looking , gives me some ideas for my xs500. ;D

Very nice. Like other have said the all black looks killer. Would love to see it without the rear fender, I think it would change the personality even more.

Yeah... It would look good without the rear fender, but maybe with spoked wheels a cafe seat and clubman bars. I have searched for spoked wheels but haven't found any in really good shape or the shipping to PR is either to high. Don't know which way to go. I really like to go with the cafe look, i belive i'm half way there if i could find the spoked wheels. Should i go with a pair of minigauges or leave it as is. Comments and help are welcome. And again thank's for the nice comments. Greetings from the Island of Enchantment, PUERTO RICO.

That is a REALLY cool bike. I would not change a thing on it. To me, it's hard to make fenders look good on cafe racers. I know the originals had 'em, but it's just not for me. I think your bike does it nicely.

That rear tire looks so good that I would not even bother with spoked rims. Personally, I'd just enjoy what you have.

--Chris

I agree! it looks great!

If you wanted to bob the rear fender a little that would give you a nice truncated look but would still give some protection and satisfy the local constabulary bullies.

Nice ride!

Swagger said:
I agree! it looks great!

If you wanted to bob the rear fender a little that would give you a nice truncated look but would still give some protection and satisfy the local constabulary bullies.

Nice ride!

I agree and keep the wheels you have since they already work and spoked ones are $$ and hard to find for you.
If you want to give the wheels a lighter look then drill "Speed holes" in them and some of the other parts if you wish,just don't go crazy with it and cause to parts to no longer be safe. Some people go too far when they get to putting holes in stuff.

On the RD/RZ site there are pics of bikes that have the Speed Hole treatment on the wheels,so you might want to check that site out.
The link: http://www.usa2strokers.com/forum/default.asp

I think i found the pics with the drilled rims... It does look cool. On another issue, I''ved just ordered from MikeXS a minispeedo that also has the idiot lights integrated black ofcourse, What do you guys think? It's cable driven and i'll only be using one to clean-up the front end a bit. I'll post the pic of the speedo mounted as soon as it gets here...and BTW than's for the link on the rims, Greetings.

New addition ... I'ved always liked the way the tank pads looked in the vintage bikes such as Triumphs, BSA Norton etc.. What do you guys think of this?

I do like tank pads, don't know why...

Who makes that mini speedometer?
Stock gauges look so out of place (to me) on these bikes.
I used a Trail Tech digital unit on a newer bike, but it doesn't quite flow with the older stuff...
IMG_2102.jpg

ajdoyle77 said:
I do like tank pads, don't know why...

Who makes that mini speedometer?
Stock gauges look so out of place (to me) on these bikes.
I used a Trail Tech digital unit on a newer bike, but it doesn't quite flow with the older stuff...

If I'm not mistaken, thats one of the little gauges from Mike's XS. http://www.mikesxs.com/ Depends what bike you're putting it on, but it'll work for a bunch of the vintage japanese bikes out there.

How would the clubman bars look? It has drag bars on right now. On another note i think i will keep the wheels as people have liked them. You think i should change anything on the bike? I'm trying to go a different way with the rear fender, how about a cafe seat?

kudos on the bike. i'm guessing mine will look similar once it's done. i like the gold on the tank to kill some of the black.

Back
Top Bottom