Huge new project underway!

Well well well... another pseudo plumber in the midst... hehe... yes.. that is correct 5 feet is the maximum distance. the reason is that the pipe should not fall more than one pipe diameter for venting purposes. Cool.. sounds like your on the ball. You may also want to keep in mind the amount of change in direction, but looking at your pics I don't think you'll have that issue. You're keeping the sink in the same spot?

We went through the same thing this year, A complete bathroom gut and rebuild. Custom vanity because the stairs to the basement go through the back. and for some reason there was a foot of space between the kitchen wall and the bathroom wall. Made use of that space right quick, now there is a shelf and a place to put all of those annoying shampoo and soap holders into.

Luckily for me my brother owns a home renovation company that specializes in basements and bathrooms. So the cost of the bathroom was only material.

If your looking for a guy that cares about his work, reasonably priced, and your in the Guelph - KW area give him a shout at 519-994-0086

Here's our big project:

100_0981.jpg

HouseSketch-Full.jpg

0903240001.jpg

And why it's worth it:

100_1027.jpg

100_1026.jpg

Take THAT Toronto! :D ;D

CanadaDan said:
All that land and only ONE garage stall for the bikes? :eek:

TRIPLE!

Hahah, yeah for now. The truck doesn't live there, it was just in there the night I brought it home. ;D

Plan is to put up another shed in the back with fans for painting. 8) 8)

Well, the meds are kicking in and my right arm is beginning to feel a little better. Today while lifting the shower walls into place, a long nagging injury in my right forearm finally went over the brink, and I tore a bunch of muscles in my upper and forearm. I actually heard them rip, which wasn't pleasant. My hand immediately collapsed and thankfully we didn't drop the shower too far. No damage (to the shower).

Drywall is mostly up, and the shower is finally in. Will take pics. Looking good and will finally be able to shower for the first time since last Wednesday (been borrowing friends facilities ;))

Unfortunately it's my throttle/brake arm. If it were the clutch side, I'd be in a better mood. I don't have the capability to pull the brake lever, so my riding season will be postponed a bit. I suppose in an emergency endorphines would block the pain, but man, it hurts when it moves in certain ways.

Ouch, that sounds very painful Tintin. Too bad it happened just as riding season is getting on the go. Hopefully it'll heal fast.

Sorry to hear about your arm. Like HerrDeacon said, too bad it happened at the beginning of the season. I hope the docs can patch you up.

Also good to hear the drywall is hung. Makes things look a little closer to compleation deosn't it?

Well, I think if I take about 8 Advil and then wait about 2 hours for them to kick in, I'd be ok for a ride :) It's feeling better now that it's had a chance to rest, Advil to take effect and icing to soothe it. But it will take weeks to feel normal.

Nothing like hearing your own muscles rip.

Tintin said:
Nothing like hearing your own muscles rip.

Been there, done that, got the torn shoulder muscle...

Tough luck bro. Hope it gets better SOON, cause riding season is here.

Geees bro... lousy luck... I trust you went to a doctor to have it checked out?

Sound's like the work left is your contactors' but if you need me let me know... I can be there in 24.

It's not so bad. I can type and move a mouse, so I can still earn a living. I'm the contractor on this job! My demo/carpenter/drywaller is coming back today to finish hanging the drywall and put the first mud on. Then he's back over the next couple of days to finish.

On Saturday with luck the tile guy is coming. So Friday afternoon/night I have to lay the electric floor heating down, which is not heavy lifting at all. Just putting the cable down in the right pattern. Saturday thin-set over the cables, then the next day it gets tiled, then grouted and then finally sealed. So hopefully mid-next week it's tiled and ready for the tub, toilet and sink to be put in place.

Shower doors are coming this week.

BathroomReno200804-32.jpg

BathroomReno200804-29.jpg

BathroomReno200804-28.jpg

BathroomReno200804-25.jpg

BathroomReno200804-22.jpg

BathroomReno200804-19.jpg

BathroomReno200804-14.jpg

BathroomReno200804-12.jpg

BathroomReno200804-11.jpg

BathroomReno200804-7.jpg

BathroomReno200804-6.jpg

BathroomReno200804-3.jpg

BathroomReno200804-1.jpg

TonUpSoldier said:
Wow! They still use black iron or glavanized for plumbing up there? Thats crazy! Having done about a billion of those bathroom mods, i can say you have your hands full, but from your choice in wares, she's gonna be a beaut :) Drywall shims, they're your BEST friend...

Missed this earlier - the black pipe is ABS plastic. I actually do have two main stacks in the house. The original iron pipe (which is great - it makes no noise) in one corner and the new ABS on the other side. The cast iron stack is still in use for my 2nd floor laundry which is opposite the bath. A utility room in the basement also has a sink connected to it. Handy not having to run drains across the entire house.

Here are the latest - drywall is all up as of 10AM Wed morning, exactly 1 week into the project. Wish my 650 went this quickly!

The knee wall will serve as a shelf along the edge of the clawfoot tub. There will be a marble slab on top. It's 6 inches deep. I brought the supply lines out the wall to make the tiling job easier. The only holes on the floor are for the tub drain and toilet flange. Not even a heating vent in the room - it wasn't blowing air anyhow (2 floors up and 40 feet back from the furnace) and the radiant floor heating should keep things toasty.

BathroomReno200804-57.jpg

BathroomReno200804-56.jpg

BathroomReno200804-55.jpg

BathroomReno200804-54.jpg

BathroomReno200804-53.jpg

Hey Tintin, don't know what you are using for an extraction fan, but I suggest you don't skimp out on a really good one.
When I renovated my bathroom I went out and got the largest CFM fan that I could get. I also spent the extra $$ for the quietest one I could get.
The old one was noisy and the walls would be soaked and the mirror was completely steamed over. The new one though keeps the walls dry and I have yet to see even a corner of the mirror get any steam on it.
Best investment you can make for a big buck reno.
The other thing to remember is to keep the vent pipe from the unit as short as possible and as horizontal as possible.

I did quite a bit of reading on this topic. The room is 90 sq ft, and calls for a 95 CFM fan. I was going to opt for a 150, but the duct work goes to 5 inches at that volume and I only have room for 4 inches, and there was already a 4 inch duct through my solid 18" thick brick wall.

I went with a Panasonic WhisperCeiling 110CFM - FV-11VQ3

http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-electronics/shop/Building-Products/Ventilation-Systems/Ceiling-Insert-Fans/model.FV-11VQ3_11002_7000000000000005702

It's near as I can tell one of the best fans out there. Runs at 0.8 sones vs. the 4+ sones my crappy old Nutone fan was running at. I also splurged on a Lutron step-down timer for it.

The duct work was a bit of a compromise. The previous owner actually used the crappy white vinyl flexible 'duct' that came with the Nutone fan I guess, or with the duct running to the outside. It has been replaced with 4" rigid duct, screwed and taped. It does have 2 elbows in it, to take it up and over the recessed light fixture between the fan and the outside wall. But it only runs about 5 feet in total length, so it's fine, and there are no low spots in the ducting for moisture to accumulate.

The fan cost me $140 which was a good deal compared to the quiet ones at Home Depot. I've learned to shop there as little as possible. In Toronto, I'd highly recommend BOZ Electric up in Richmond Hill. I drive 30 minutes each way from my house, but it's worth every minute. I got my recessed low-voltage IC fixtures up there for $44 each. Super high quality fixtures (Contrast Lighting) and all made in Canada, including the 3.5" trim rings. The fixture over the shower is getting a shower-trim plate, which looks almost exactly the same as the other 5.

The Lutron switches were pricey, especially the dimmer for the low-voltage lights. It was $50, the timer was $40 and the regular dimmer was $30. But they're wicked cool :) There's a dual-gang Nuheat thermostat going in the box just over from the switches.

Tape is up - guy is just putting on the first coat of mud.

Those 1/2 inch copper lines... Those for a sink or Bidet? Seem a bit low for a sink... must be a bidet?

They're actually for a clawfoot tub. Dual ended cast acrylic clawfoot. Deckmount (Porcher) faucet with 7 inch spread. I had the supplies brought out the wall to a) make fewer holes in the marble tiles and b) keep them above the baseboard.

We're putting beadboard around the perimeter, up to about 42" off the floor, with a pretty good sized baseboard.

I got these nice shutoff valves that actually slide over the 1/2" copper with a nice looking chrome pipe and decorative cover (eschteuon?). These ones will be hidden behind the clawfoot, but figured they might as well look nice anyhow.

Now, if I could only find a tile installer I can trust and who's reliable.

Back
Top Bottom