Watch my build in pictures; Virago(PICS ADDED MONDAY APRIL 21, CHECK IT OUT)

woodsv

Well, I am new here and have only made a couple posts so far. I picked up this site from another site, checked it out and became hooked. I have built/rebuilt a few 3/4 wheelers and dirtbikes but never a motorcycle. Well that's about to change!!! I love the cafe racer bike and decided I want one. What's better than having something is making that something yourself. I started looking for the right platform and along the way picked up a couple different bikes. The 1 I am going to show you guys pics of in this thread is a 1985 Virago 500. I got it fo a song out of a guys shed where it had been parked for over a year. 1st thing I did was check it over to see what I had and where I was going with it. While it is not going to be in original condition I'm not really sure yet what it's going to turn into. I found it while looking for a cafe project but you'll agree it doesn't quite fit the cafe mold. But it will defenitely be different. And until I decide what it's going to be I'll post pics of the progress here. After all, a build is a build. In the mean time, I have found my cafe platform and I'll start another thread on that bike. Here goes;

Bike as it stood when I got it home
DSCF2587.jpg

draining oil and starting the tear down
DSCF2591.jpg

getting into the bike a little
DSCF2596.jpg

bike down already!!!!!!! just kidding, I laid it down gently and kept it off the floor with a combination of floor jack and stands
DSCF2592.jpg

I always start with the engine when I rebuild anything, so this is where I started the tedious job of cleaning the case
DSCF2594.jpg

here she is stripped down a little. this also where I stopped and looked at the bike long and hard and came up with a few ideas on what direction to take this build
DSCF2599.jpg

well, too late to turn back now. engine is out to give it a good check, cleaning and a total makeover. whenever I do a project I am very meticulous over every detail. This one will be no different, so the bike will eventually be stripped down to the last nut to be done the right way.
DSCF2622.jpg

all cases and covers are off for refinishing, and so I can check the cam chains, inside the cases, clutch pack, valves and so on.
DSCF2625.jpg

before pic of engine. the dirt and grease is cleaned off though
DSCF2624.jpg

And at long last, after about 60 hours of cleaning, washing, sanding, disassembling,painting, painting ,repainting, some more painting, reassembling, and VOILA...................
DSCF2632.jpg

Well there it is, my engine rebuild/refinishing. I am pleased with it, so tell me what you guys think. Next up is the carbs. Got some work ahead of me, but I think I'll take a break from this and get a start on my cafe project.

Re: Watch my build in pictures; engine 1st

nice work... the engine looks great, so very nice details.

For me, i'd be making a bobber outta that thing... no tail section makes it easy.

Good luck on the build. What are you going to do for the front end?

I'm going to use the front end that you see, but I have some ideas to customize it. You nailed my thoughts exactly, a bobber, or more like a chopper-esque bike. I've been sketching some ideas down and the best custom outcome would be a chopper style bike. I'm thinking about raking the frame but I do kinda like the way it is. The pic of the bike against the wall with frame, wheels and motor intact looks like the bike is begging to shed some of that crappy old stock body work for a nice spring seat, wrap around rear fender, and some very radical drag bars.

Amazing, the different colors really look right.
The line of the frame, with the rear off, reminded me of these http://detroitbros.com/777/bikes/. I think it's an interesting mix, not a typical bobber/chopper. Though I'm pretty sure you'll need to make it rigid.

Wow, great job on the engine, impressive work. I think I'll enjoy watching your progress on this one, keep the pics coming.

Great work on the motor. :eek:

Looks like that dual purpose should come out fantastic based on how meticulas you're being with this bike.

The frame and motor / rolling chassis looks like it just needs a nice seat setup to set it off. You going with the stock tank?

I'll probably use it as a base, but I am looking for something with perhaps some lines or angles. We'll see. Also looking for a chopper style seat pan or even a full seat.

Here is a link to a rebuild that I just completed before starting on the Virago project. This bike will be my ride for the summer and if I like it I will probably hang onto it 'til I find something more interesting. Never know, if I like it enough, I might never part with it. I'll just add it to my collection. Right now I have in my possession;
2 three wheelers
10 four wheelers
3 dirt bikes
4 motorcycles
Oh, and a 16.5hp lawn tractor that is a laugh to drive around, except when it comes time to cut the grass, then I get somebody else to do it!!!lol

http://forum.svrider.com/showthread.php?t=70771

I really like the colours you added to the engine covers. I also checked out your SV..... great stuff. 8)

Looking good! I like the SVs also and I'm sure some time in the future I will pick one up to play with. I have rode with guys who have them and they seem to be wonderful machines. Everyone that has one seems to really like them as all around sport bikes.

Re: Watch my build in pictures; engine 1st (more work done)

Well, the work goes on!! Today I spent about 6 hours working on the bottom sub frame/motor mount, the swing arm which is integrated with the drive shaft housing, and the final drive housing. I also started work on the rear alloy wheel. 1st thing I did was the disassembly. Along with that I inspected everything like seals, bushings and bearings. Everything luckily was good and tight. The brake shoes are about 5mms, so for now they are OK, however, I'll probably get a set between now and final assembly or the mock up. I spent 95% of my time today degreasing, using the bench grinder with wire wheel, then in the sand blaster. I'll tell you something, if you intend to ever do a complete rebuild including paint and rust stripping, then the 2 most important tools you can have are a bench grinder and a sandblaster. I wouldn't be able to do any of this work without them. Next was a wash of the parts and air dry. Then I shot the parts with the selected paint colors. As of right now they are in the garage drying. Tomorrow is going to consist of reassembly of the finished parts, and then they get put away 'til they're needed.
Also, tomorrow, I'll continue at the rear wheel. My plan is to paint it 2 tone. I'm thinking aluminum finish and black. I'm pretty sure as of now that there won't be any chromed or polished parts on the finished bike, except for the guage housing, unless I can give them the brushed aluminum look, and the bars. Today I ordered a set of drag bars with a 3.75" pull back on them. They are gonna look sweet. I also ordered a black set for my SV650. I will get pics of the work tomorrow, I was too wiped this tonight to come in and get the camera, then go out again.

Back
Top Bottom