Watch my build in pictures; Virago ***April 30-new pics*** ROLLER!!!

woodsv

Hey, for some strange reason I couldn't modify the 1st thread I started about my rebuild. For those who didn't read the 1st thread check it out a few lines down in BIG ARSE PROJECTS, titled "watch my build in pictures; engine firts". Anyway, on with the news!
Today I finished working on the shaft housing, swing arm and final drive. I got it all reassembled and set aside 'til needed. I want to get the rear wheel prepped and painted and back on the swing arm before I attach it to the frame. Not that the frame is near ready. Also today I refinished the engine mounts and the shaft cover engine side.Also completely reassembled the whole engine including the coils.Now that was a lot of work! I didn't remember there being so many parts when I took it apart. Anyway, oil tomorrow. I had to use some gasket maker today, so I need to let it set up for 24 hours.I don't have the carbs on yet, I still have to clean and possibly rebuild them. I have done carbs before and I might do these myself, but I may even farm these out to somebody who has more knowledge on them. Here are some pics;

DSCF2638.jpg

DSCF2639.jpg

DSCF2640.jpg

DSCF2641.jpg

I'm pretty happy with the outcome of these parts. Tomorrow or whenever the next session happens, I am turning my attention to the frame. I detached the whole wiring harness tonight before I gave up. Also got all the controls off the bars. Can't wait to get the drag bars.
Now for the paint scheme I have decided on; Tell me what you guys think. All of the colors are subject to change of course, but for now;

wheels; metallic silver with either red(same red as frame) or black on the outer ring of wheel

frame; red

swing arm, final drive; same aluminum finish as engine

forks; aluminum finish, same as swing arm on lower forks. fork tubes will have boots on them.

most controls will be aluminum finish like swing arm

tank, rear fender, headlight bucket and front fender(if there is 1) will all be pearl white. I'm thinking about a 2" red or silver stripe from front to back.

That's about it. Tell me what you guys think. Most of you have been here before, trying to figure out colors. I'm trying to be careful not to end up with too many colors. 'Til the next time!!

Re: Watch my build in pictures; Virago(PICS ADDED MONDAY APRIL 21, CHECK IT OUT)

Man, that motor is clean.... 8)

Re: Watch my build in pictures; Virago(PICS ADDED MONDAY APRIL 21, CHECK IT OUT

Don't worry, my engine suffers from "firts" too. It's nothing a little Beano can't fix. (Making fun of a typo in case you missed it...) ;)

What kind of pearl white you gonna use? I went for a Caddy pearl white like what you see on the STS and Escalade. Then my buddy who was painting it found an additive which then makes it a Buick colour which is the same Caddy pearl white, but with a green/blue colour change pearl in it as well. Turned out pretty freakin slick on the 650.

Just a quick question, does that universal joint run in oil of some sort, or is it just like any old drive shaft on a RWD vehicle and run dry? Just got the wheels spinning for a future project and never worked on a shaftie before.

Rudy

Re: Watch my build in pictures; Virago(PICS ADDED MONDAY APRIL 21, CHECK IT OUT)

Hey it runs dry but it is a good idea to keep some grease around the u joints and splines to keep things running smoothly

Really nice project, great colour choices too, well done.

I finally have the frame sandblasted and painted. Somewhere along the way I started 2nd guessing my final product and paint choices. My dilemma is that for sometime now, especially with the flood of chopper type TV programs that are on the air, I have wanted to build a real honest to goodness high end chopper. Well of course life don't always let these dreams happen. But my wife, knowing about my chopper daydreams, suggested that instead of turning this Virago into a custom bike and risking the chance of it not being what I want, and also the fact that it will probably be worth more as a cherry 1985 Virago, then as a chopper wannabe, I should concentrate on returning this bike to showroom condition, or better, and sell it. Eventually using the proceeds to partially fund the making of a rel chopper build with the hardtail frame, restored S&S or 1340cc motor, and all the goodies that make a chopper what it is. Now to me that sounded like a spot on suggestion. So now here I am, rethinking all the plans I had for this bike, and aiming for the better than new possibility. So, like I said, today I finally shot paint on the frame; black of course. Weren't all the drab factory creations in the 70's and 80's cursed with a black frame? Well, so be it, mine will be too. And also today I started frame reassembly. Before I took 1 bolt off this project, I took lots and lots of pics. And even loaded with those images of that rusting neglect from 1985, I am still having the devil's own time trying to locate the bolt that goes in such and such hole. But, like every project that you or I have done in the past, in the end it will all come together. I may have a 10% surplus of fasteners nuts and bolts when I'm done, the motor may not start, I may end up with a handle bar where a foot peg should be, or I may simply press the starter button and the horn will let out a barely audible "beeeeeep", but at least the bike will turn a full 360, from a stand alone 2 wheeled cycle from a time I would rather forget, into a pile of parts kicking around my grey, burnt oil glazed garage floor, back to a rolling paperweight that keeps me up at night wondering what I left out that causes it to refuse to allow it's wheels to budge and keeps the engine from making a sputter.
Pics tomorrow of my latest progress. 'Til next time...

I do not think it will be stock, as it seems to have a monoshock conversion, also i believe it is an 87 if it is a 535

It's a 500 with the factory mono. They only made this version for a short time from what I can figure out.

Back
Top Bottom