BCR's Project Bike 1969 cb350 little monster "El Poquito"

flipprboi

Zap Everybody! We've always been a big fan of twins. Love the sound, love the simplicity of the engine and love how it handles. We wanted a project bike that is simple, engine and suspension parts are still available, and something that is light and easy to ride even for beginners. So what could be more simple, light and fun to ride than Honda CB350.

We picked up this 69 CB 350 twin few months ago and thought we'd share this little project with you guys. The bike is actually
done, but thought maybe this build that we did might help or even inspire some cafe fans or even some motorcycle hobbyist with their own project. We had fun working on this project. Everything went smoothly and had no problems other that doing an offset on front sprocket cuz we didnt wan't to switch to the stock cb350 rear hub . We didn't really do any major mods to the frame other that cutting the tabs and the lip from the pressed sheet metal frame and then just boxed it for support. We could have left it the way it is, but thought we clean things up a little bit with the frame. Oh yeah i forgot the battery box. But that we didn't even weld it that to the frame. We just fabricated a battery box and mounted it to the stock center stand bracket that is already built in to the frame. Plus having the battery down there gives the bike better center of gravity. Other than that, the frame is bone stuck. I think we could even put the original tank and seat back if we wanted to. It took us i think over 6 months to finish the El Poquito project, but the delay was mainly because we first had to cater to customer orders, plus we had to come up an original look for the tank and seat and exhaust so the bike will stand-out on its own. Anyway, here's our project build, hope you guys like it. Enjoy and ride safe!

This is what the bike looked like when we got it. We got lucky with the alloy DID and Akront wheels
2284381731_985d94abe0.jpg

And this what we came out with. Vintage style cafe/road racer. Paint scheme was inspired by Matchless G50
item

Here's the link of more detail of our build:
http://www.benjiescaferacer.com/poquito.html

Here's the link for more pics
http://www.slide.com/r/cFsA1XqV7z87sAycJVQ87zlUi37vuf99?previous_view=TICKER&previous_action=TICKER_ITEM_CLICK&ciid=72057594236341928

Here's the link of the vids
http://www.benjiescaferacer.com/sightsnsnds.html

-benjie

Nice. Very nice.

I have a question, though. Wondering about how that rear 'paddock' stand hooks up to the bike? I think I'd like to make up something like that. Does it use the shock mount bolts or something?

Speaking of shocks... where ever did you find that pair? Good look to 'em.

The paddock hooks up to the bottom shock mount bolt. We machined a bolt and grooved the head so the fork of the paddock will hook and lock on to it.

Rear shocks are progressive. It has a small diameter shocks so it wont rub against the silencer. Very stiff even at low setting. I got them from Ebay.

Benjie

I saw that bike on the site a few weeks back. Gotta say I love those pipes as well. Let me state here that I was already planning on mounting my ignition where the horn used to be, so I didn't jack your idea when you see it on mine, but don't be shocked if my pipes look strikingly similar.

Great work!

The bike is very nice, but more importantly, it's cool that you participate on forums such as these. It's well-appreciated.

--Chris

Benjie,

Do you guys have any plans to fabricate steel clip-ons to sell? I have a cb125s, and my forks tube dia. is only 27mm. Fortunately there is an american based distributor who sells adjustable clipons that fit my bike, but they cost about $150 to my door. If I lived in Europe I would not have this problem, unfortunately there are no other options.

I think it would be great for me, and others like me who have odd sized fork tubes, to have a steel, nonadjustable, option that could save us at least 33%-50% to the door.

What are your thoughts?

Wicked bike, love it. Love the name also. Love how you name your bikes, I'm going to have to name mine when it's done.

Thanks guys. We try our best.

cahurst2001 said:
I saw that bike on the site a few weeks back. Gotta say I love those pipes as well. Let me state here that I was already planning on mounting my ignition where the horn used to be, so I didn't jack your idea when you see it on mine, but don't be shocked if my pipes look strikingly similar.

Great work!
we didnt really do any mod on the ignition switch location. It's stock. Well, that's where it was when we got the bike. We were going to put it close to the front sprocket and away from the headers just like the pinas 550, but thought just leave it the way it is. Exhaust, hey if it will be similar no sweat. Would love to see what you could come up with. Feel free to get some tips from the construction pics. Hardest is coming up with the right bends for the headers.

Speed2XS said:
Benjie,

Do you guys have any plans to fabricate steel clip-ons to sell? I have a cb125s, and my forks tube dia. is only 27mm. Fortunately there is an american based distributor who sells adjustable clipons that fit my bike, but they cost about $150 to my door. If I lived in Europe I would not have this problem, unfortunately there are no other options.

I think it would be great for me, and others like me who have odd sized fork tubes, to have a steel, nonadjustable, option that could save us at least 33%-50% to the door.

What are your thoughts?
$150 adjustable shipped to europe, that is actually a good price. With the high cost in shipping now a days and prices in raw materials going sky rocket (all cause of gas prices going), that is a gud deal. If its adjustable, i'm assuming its aluminum. Just be careful when tigthening and watch out for the splines. We cant really compete with other manufacturers with their prices. We dont make our stuff in mass production. We are only a crew of 8 and as of now, pumping mass produce parts is something that we cant do. We compete with big companies by coming out with original stuff, good product and of course good communication with customers. Good communication is a must in our business specially when the stuff customers want is completely one-off.

chrisf said:
The bike is very nice, but more importantly, it's cool that you participate on forums such as these. It's well-appreciated.

--Chris
Hey chris, thanks. Its a compliment specially coming from you. I've seen your builds and very impressed. I visit forums ocationally when i have free time or when i do research. Seeing your threads is actually one of the reason why i posted this build here. Wish i could post more stuff but just been busy lately.

rawfish said:
Man, I really dig your work.......Great lookin' bike(s) 8)

MABUHAY

Thanks brother! kudos on your project too, and love the ghia! Ingat!

mr_burns.gif

thanks DR j

-benjie

IagainstI said:
sick! do you sell that seat?

i wonder what you guys could do with an RD...and how much it would cost

Yeah we do sell that particular seat, but you will need to change your tank. If you are using a stock 350 tank, we could make you a seat similar to the poquito's.

RDs, we are currently looking for one to add to our roster. Been getting a lot of request to make a seat for that particular bike.

-benjie

Hey Benjie, is building cafes and making parts your full time gig or do you have a Joe-job like the rest of us?

Back
Top Bottom