Trying YET AGAIN to post pics for you guys...

TonUpSoldier

bad assed, super fast and fully gassed
Of the 77 GS750B cafe project im working on. Seems the forum doesnt like me lately. Anyway, here's try number 6. Cross your fingers.

Body work still needs finished, but i shot it black for a quick mock up. Still need to install the brake system, and tune her up a bit, but she's running..

100_0438.jpg

Sweet success!!! Sixth time's a charm! Lookin good!

Hey, just noticed that you have the V&H exhaust. What do you think of the sound? Is that the one from Z1? My buddy bought one for his 77 GS750. Looks pretty sweet. What about the jet references that come with the kit? They any good, or can I expect a few different sizes to get it right? Carbs are cleaned and rebuilt already. Just wondering what you're running for jet sizes.

As well, do you have two tank rubbers for the front mounts laying around? My buddy ain't the cleanest or most organized and his probably ended up in the garbage somewhere along the line and he was wondering if I could find him some more.

Still have them BS34's for ya, and the handlebar mounts for the XS400. Don't wait too long or I may be tempted to put my spare 400 engine in the dirt bike frame! :eek:

No idea what VH's jetting suggestions are. This came with the bike when i bought it, but it WASNT rejetted :( So ive been researching and playing with jets. What im at right now is a 127.5 main, needle moved from the 3rd clip down to the fourth clip down, and the pilots at 17.5, tho i think im going to take the pilots back to the stock 15s Its a lil rich on idle. Havent put the 530 sprockets and chain on it yet, so i havent had it under load, but i have a pretty good feeling this is DAMN close to where i need to be with the jetting. I MAY just have a spare set of tank mount rubbers laying around, i'll give a look tonight when i get home from work. Yes i still need those carbs and bars and bushings, hang on to em for me, if you dont mind. Still waiting on that "stimulus" cheque to show, and pay day..lol Spent more money than i should have the last couple weeks on parts for this, and clutch springs and plates for the 1100G. Had to take care of that clutch before i head to WV on it. LOL .

Looks great so far TonUp. Hope you're going to stay with the black, it really suit it. Tail looks awesome.

TonUpSoldier said:
No idea what VH's jetting suggestions are. This came with the bike when i bought it, but it WASNT rejetted :( So ive been researching and playing with jets. What im at right now is a 127.5 main, needle moved from the 3rd clip down to the fourth clip down, and the pilots at 17.5, tho i think im going to take the pilots back to the stock 15s Its a lil rich on idle. Havent put the 530 sprockets and chain on it yet, so i havent had it under load, but i have a pretty good feeling this is DAMN close to where i need to be with the jetting. I MAY just have a spare set of tank mount rubbers laying around, i'll give a look tonight when i get home from work. Yes i still need those carbs and bars and bushings, hang on to em for me, if you dont mind. Still waiting on that "stimulus" cheque to show, and pay day..lol Spent more money than i should have the last couple weeks on parts for this, and clutch springs and plates for the 1100G. Had to take care of that clutch before i head to WV on it. LOL .

I read the little paper that came with his VH system and I do believe that it was 127.5 mains, needle lifted one clip (stock is 3rd, so you're dead on having it in the 4th) and I'm pretty sure that the pilots were stock. 15 does sound right for some reason. That's with a stock airbox. Don't know if it would change much with your pods. When I'm back there I'll take a look at that sheet and let you know. Though, you'll probably get it running mint before I get back there.

As for parts, I'll hold em for ya. Ain't nobody else lookin for them right now. Been waiting for my "stimulus" check for a while too. It's gonna be a nice one too. May even get me out of this hole I've gotten myself into buying so many parts trying to get the 650 going. Visits to relatives after work for dinner is becoming more and more attractive, even if I do have to put up with screaming cousins. ;) ....... Nah, it's not that bad.... yet. I can still afford the odd bottle of rye, so life is good.

Get that beastie goin, I want to see it done!

"a little rich" is not necessarlly a bad thing. I find running a bit rich doesn't tend to cause you grief and it's so much better than the opposite. A little rich never burned a hole in the top of a piston!

As for the black - I hope you decide on a different color. Nothing specifically wrong with black (shows respect for the dead etc etc) but lets face it 9 out of ten bikes are probably black - Why go with the herd?

This a " a little rich" enough that it would eventually cause me grief. Though you are right, running a bit richer than stock isnt necessarily a bad thing, this bike is currently rich enough that it starts on one kick with no choke no matter how long its been sitting. That sounds great and all, but running rich CAN cause problems in the long run. If you're overly rich, gas can end up mixing with your oil, washing your cylinder walls, eliminating lubrication and eventually cause scoring of the sleeves/walls. It can also end up in your crank case causing damage to bearings and other parts. This is rich enough to worry me, and while i wouldnt mind being a tad rich, i feel this is to the point it could become detremental to the motor.

Im kinda torn on the paint. I originally WAS going to do black, with brass pinstriping. Then i thought it might look good brass with black pinstriping. Then again, i also thought it might look good PEARL white with a large black racing stripe and brass pinstripes. Im still a bit undecided, but there's a bit of body work that needs done before i have to make a decision, so at least i have a lil more time to think about it. LOL

zixxerboy said:
lets face it 9 out of ten bikes are probably black - Why go with the herd?

SOOOO TRUE!!!! That's only reason why I've painted both my stock black bikes different colours. Well, and because the paint was crap, but thats beside the point.

TonUpSoldier said:
Im kinda torn on the paint. I originally WAS going to do black, with brass pinstriping. Then i thought it might look good brass with black pinstriping. Then again, i also thought it might look good PEARL white with a large black racing stripe and brass pinstripes. Im still a bit undecided, but there's a bit of body work that needs done before i have to make a decision, so at least i have a lil more time to think about it. LOL

Pearl white is DEFINITELY a great colour on any bike! Can't go wrong with a nice Caddy pearl. Stripes done right look amazing with any colour, and I like LOVE where you're going with the black stripe/brass pinstripe. My vote is for Pearl white with black and brass. It'll look HOT with that tail! 8)

My 650 is Pearl white with copper pinstriping, so I guess I'm a little biased ::)

Back
Top Bottom