KZ550- Iron Geek K Zeta

Re: KZ550- Iron Geek Kafe Zeta

Hey Folks,

So The Iron Geek Garage has continued its progress on this baby and I have to say it is finally coming together. Spent about 8 hours in the garage yesterday with my homie/build partner Wee Wee. Did a good bit on the frame and prepping this incredibly dirty motor for paint. Also, managed to paint the swing arm and some other small things. Anyways...... to the frame. The frame was de-tabbed and smoothed out (a lot more work than people give it credit), followed by a narrowing of the tail section of the frame in order to have the cafe tail fit over it.

Re: KZ550- Iron Geek Kafe Zeta

Started with a V cut in order to weaken it. Then took a ratchet to it in order to bend it. Finally, after the cuts were bent they were welded shut and end pieces were put on the frame tail.

Attachments

• kz-frame-cut.jpg
    kz-frame-cut.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 733
  • kz-pre-frame-bend.jpg
    kz-pre-frame-bend.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 748
  • kz-frame-bend.jpg
    kz-frame-bend.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 729
  • kz-frame-mod.jpg
    kz-frame-mod.jpg
    205.2 KB · Views: 266
hey guys,

Just an update. Been home for the holidays. Getting some parts in the mail and will be getting down to business in January
-Peter

So,

Finally got back to Miami after holidays, and got some work done. Finished up cleaning the crap out of the dirty frame so that it can be painted, and the motor got a face lift.

Motor Photos............. Speed Holes

Attachments

• motor_p1.jpg
    motor_p1.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 726
  • motor_p2.jpg
    motor_p2.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 726
  • motor_p3.jpg
    motor_p3.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 780
  • motor_p4.jpg
    motor_p4.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 799
Going to put some new hardware on the motor to make it all pop, clean up the front end, and then hopefully start re-assembling the bike in the next couple weeks

Lookin' good! 8)

I have a yearnin' to cafe a KZ550 myself. I don't know if I'll ever get to it but you're giving me some good motivation to keep looking for one! :D

Thanks Guys for your gracious compliments. @Drewski you seem to be hooked on Kawasakis and I totally understand. I wasn't sold on the KZ's until I bought this bike and started working on it, that and apparently they're fast

PeteyWash said:
Thanks Guys for your gracious compliments. @Drewski you seem to be hooked on Kawasakis and I totally understand. I wasn't sold on the KZ's until I bought this bike and started working on it, that and apparently they're fast

"Hook line and sinker!!" :D

Ok Fellas,

I'm stuck here and could use some help with a decision. I can't decide if I want to put K&N pods on this bike or some velocity stacks. I am aware of the risks that one can face with stacks, but they also have advantages. So, any and all comments are welcome.

Thanks,
Peter

Personal opinion is to run stacks, since tuning this thing will be a nightmare either way ;)

All jokes aside, I think you will get it to run better with the KandN filters vs. the stacks, but if I speak from a purely aesthetic view I've always liked the LOOK of stacks better. It's harder to visualize without the engine back in the frame etc.

Hmmm... tough choice with out good info. You really should try to talk to someone who has a KZ550, as different bikes respond differently to those mods. :p

Sorry, can't help here. ???

Yep. I ran the cheap pods on mine. Hated to idle, ran great in the mid range and decent on the top end. I've still got a few needle height changes to make, but be ready to take the carbs out several times during that part! These TK carbs have a funky idle issue as they have a linkage on the left hand side that is VERY finicky. I'm getting an O2 wideband controller in the spring to see actually get the best out of this thing as it's fun to ride. Keep up the good work though, it's worth it.

I have a mildly modded 81 Kz550A. I'm running the K & N pods on it. Alot easier to tune to be honest. As for which jets i'm running, i'd have to actually go look. As of right now, i've got a mac 4 in 1 hanging on it. The bike had stacks on it when i aquired it 12 yrs. ago, they went in the trash. Using the pods wasn't a cake walk coming out of the box. With the use of the mac pipe (all that was available for the bike 12 yrs. ago), i also had to drill out the restrictor plate in order to get the thing tuned. As for stacks,they really do look tits but, i'd also really recomend you go with K&N's.

Back
Top Bottom