New to forum, 550 cafe project and first bike (UPDATED 4/7)

Re: New to forum, 550 cafe project and first bike (UPDATED 5/3)

Stop working on that bike and mow the lawns ...or the gnome gets it ;D

This is a great thread, work you've done is sweet, keep more of those pics coming ...

vlk

So, I started puting all the wiring back on my bike today and i have 2 mystery wires. I have no idea where the plug into. Can someone with a 550 remove their left side cover and snap a pic or explain to me where they should go? One wire is green/red and the other is yellow/red and I think are coming from my solenoid (not sure it that is the right term for this peice, I am still a newbie). The pic below shows to 2 wires:

wires.jpg

Hey Dan,

the green w/ red strip and the yellow w/ red strip is for your Starter Magnetic switch.
There should be plugs with the same colour that those connect into from the wiring harness.
The yellow w/ red strip eventually connects to the starter button and the green with red eventually connects to the Silicon Rectifier.

In other words, your bike wont start or run...

You are gonna have to redo the wiring again. There are matching plugs with the same colour wires they connect to!..

Wiring SUCKS!!

I"ll be on the bike later on, I"ll just pull the cover and take a pic for ya.

Thanks, I would really appreciate it.

It is getting so close to being done, but unfortunately I am not going to make my goal deadline :'(. I am leaving for Germany in 12 days for work and was hoping to take it on its maiden voyage before i left but that is just not going to happen. I am gone for 2 months, so it probably wont be finished until August now. This will probably be the last pic for a while, unless I can find a little time next week to do some work.

bike.jpg

Wow. Germany huh?... You should pic up a few Giuliairi Seats while you are there. They seem to be everywhere there.
The bike looks great! Too bad it wont be done before you go!

Ill see what I can do, I think I am allowed 2 carry-ons ;D

Really like the GS450 tank on the bike - what mods did you need to do?

It took some work. I needed to grind the front mounts do about a 1/2 inch and shorten the rubber accordingly. I had to make a mounting bracket for the rear, the tank is a couple inches longer. I also had to relocate the petcock, which was some work.

The front mount modifications sound exactly like what is needed to make the CB750F tank fit - I've done that myself. Moving the petcock would be some work though. Maybe a bit easier if you can weld. Looks great.

This is what Im gonna use to hold down the back end of the cb750f tank on to the cb550.

Found a pic of the bike when I first got it, thought it was funny. The king/queen set, and high handlebars were pretty rad huh?

sidecovers%20007-1.jpg

hahahahaha

sidecovers%20008.jpg

what a difference... You should put the king/queen seat back on the bike now... just to see how it looks with the new tank/seat, etc,,etc.
I sure like the 59 club emblem on side covers!! ;D

Alright, I got the finally go the front brake to fit using a small universal throttle. Now I just need to relocate the start and kill switches.

newthrottle.jpg

I may actually be able to take it for a fide before I leave in a week. I have gotten quite a bit done. All that is left is some minor painting that I can probably finish up this weekend, oil and oil filter, front brake, and finish the wiring.

It wont be a confortable ride though. No seat :p

Mount it on the side of the bike like this guy...

hmm. What I think I might do it get a new ignition/key switch for a car. One where I can just turn the key to start it up and eliminate the need for a start switch. Not sure if it will work or not, but they are only 8 bucks at autozone, so it may be worth a try. They have the same number of wires.

Change of plans, I found a start button that I really liked today.

start%20001.jpg

And, here is an oversight that sucks. The stupid high rise style handlebars that came with the bike needed longer throttle, clutch cables, and brake cables. Now there is all kinds of slack with the clubmans and the bike is un-ridable until I get new cables and this is an expense I didnt account for :-[.

start%20002.jpg

YOu know that you can have the Throttles and clutch cables shortened right?

Back
Top Bottom