Aussie 1982 CB750 DOHC - First Build

Ahhh not too far away. Yeah I'm always keen to learn new skills for sure. I need to put my measurements all on paper so I know what I need and then I'm happy to give it a crack. :) cheers mate!

I'll bounce another question off you Neevo:

The way I see it I have two options for rear axle to wheel fittment.

1) make a 25mm sleeve to sit over the original axle, then use oem aprilia bearings, seals and collars with custom spacers or
2) get bearings and seals that fit OD of rim and ID of original axle, custom spacers and collars.

If it were you, which direction would you head?

Matt

I would go option 1. That's what crazyPJ did for me when I bought a GSXR front end. I bought a Katana axle which was a bit longer (to fit the width of the GSXR forks). Then sleeves were made up to take up the extra diameter required to fit the GSXR axle hole.

This meant the wheels kept the original bearings and the only change was sleeves to fit in the forks.

That's unreal mate. Really good looking job!
I've just got to work for the night so I'll be researching the hell out of my scenario until the sun comes up. :)
I've ordered a set of wheel spacers from a yz450f as they run the same wheel bearings and seals so that should give me a good start and I've got a mate who's going to knock me up the sleeve next week so that should be a good starting point.
I've got to get my engine back to look at chain alignment and once I've got that I'll settle on swingarm/wheel offset.

Can't wait!

Got to spend a few hours in the garage today with a buddy. We took off the rear of the frame and cleaned up the supports. Threw the front aprilia wheel on too just to get a feel for it.
97b4887e1d2e0491951056118dceeec2_zpsdb872ae1.jpg

Then de tabbed the swingarm
91cf26eb28139f30e3c51eb6db008a0c_zpsb32438a6.jpg

So in love with where this bike is heading - just sat in the garage staring at it for nearly an hour after the work was finished. :D

Matt

750mors said:
I know hey, and here's the kicker. They only cost me $300! :)

Are you farking serious!!!!!!!

Bastard. I spend 1hr trying to find some on eBay last night but no luck.

It was just right place, right time.
Plus it helps when the guy selling doesn't know what they're worth. Haha

Keep looking though mate, I've seen a few sets of motard wheels come up on gumtree and ebay for under $700, so there's deals to be had.

Found another few hours to jump in the garage today so fitted up new fork seals and set oil levels. I was able to swap the caps and rebound valves over from the other set of gsxr forks that I have which is great as I get to use the heavier springs from the 05 now.

Used 5w sikolene oil at a 100mm height so will see how they ride when I eventually get on the road. Feels good to finish off one job completely!

Cheers,
Matt

I see you're not running any linkage system with that shock? Are you sure it will have sufficient stiffness in this way? I'm also building a monoshock with an R1 shock, but an upright position like the one you're using here was complete useless. Sat down on it and immediately dropped 4 inches down or so.. (with max preload)
Love the rest of the build!

Hey marcel,

I'm just waiting to hear back from a company about getting a custom spring for it. I know the spring in the R1 shock is around 8kg/mm (approx, I don't have my notes with me) and I've calculated without the linkage I'll need to be up around a 19kg/mm for my weight and bike weight. Failing that my fall back is that I could buy a gsxr shock as I know that I can upgrade the spring up to 20kg/mm straight off the shelf.

Hope that helps!

Matt

Got some teaser pics from my mate who I've outsourced wheel and swingarm sleeves/ spacers to.
70cee0354ba4742f825122438e275c08_zps89a0dca7.jpg

I've got to get myself a lathe!!
8a7954f538e4b4b15c5d21cc529df526_zps78affc2c.jpg

Should have them on hand this week. Have ordered a set of bearings and spacers from the states too so everything will start taking shape soon.

Needed to source an aprilia rear brake rotor for my new wheels, priced it up from Aus Dealer $175, just ordered from states for $68! Couldn't believe it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

And I have some engine parts back from the blasters! Absolutely loving the finish!

yjequdy3.jpg

eqeda9a3.jpg

That means tomorrow I can fit the lower case and gear set ready for sprocket/ wheel alignment!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom