Seeley 519 CB750

How the Timkens chart looks.
Untitled_zpsdc0d8ybm.jpg

The one race I have.
07100_zpst4ppbd39.jpg

Shows the 07100 as fitting. But that bearing will not fit over the 26mm shaft.....

This is the other bearing I talked about. But with a 29mm ID it is a no go.
l45449_zps7rzhnjgt.jpg

The top bearing looks like it might work for one of the stem bearing. But seems to be an oddball one and is a million bucks.
25987_zpsl9vvur8f.jpg

I dont have a good way to bore the ID of the bearings out. So I guess I need to think of a way of modifying the steering stem

any decent machinist could turn the stem down fer ya
should be close to minimum shop charge certainly no more than an hour
i would do it fer nothin but im 3000 mile away

xb33bsa said:
maybe that ignorant cunt whitewerth will have the answer ::)

I REALLY love CR but at times it is a bit much.
Funny that some here are starting to sound like the old guard there.

I ordered the cones that I think will fit the races. Will see what it takes to make them fit the stem.
Maybe this will just push me over the edge and buy this.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ceriani-ARCES-35mm-Forks-Dirt-Track-AHRMA-Flattrack-Drag-Race-Lightweight-NICE-/251823712422?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3aa1dce8a6&vxp=mtr

but not really.

I still can not get over how exciting it is to see the Seeley actually look like a motorcycle. But I have run into a few issues that I need help addressing. Most can be chalked up to the joys of working on a motorcycle that only had 302 others made. This is a first for me. Normally I would scourer through OEM service manuals or parts phish. For this bike no such info is out there. The other thing I would do if I was extra stumped would be to go out and physically look at another of the same motorcycle. I have been lucky enough to have more then one bike in the garage and a few local friends with similar bikes, but alas I don’t know anyone around here with a Seeley CB750. Actually I have never seen one in person before owning this one!

We all know that I am having an issue with the steering stem bearings, this issue is on hold while I seek out some other bearing options and reach out to some locals with tools that might be able to help me modify what I have to work.
Was hoping this was not going to be a big deal, but it is what it is. Right now I have a OEM Honda CB750 front end to use, goal was to swap to a Gl1000 front end that uses the same bearings. I have to admit that after the struggle it has had me thinking of other front end options too.

So here are the other hurdles I have come across so far.

The lower shock mounts on the top of the swing arm are very thin. When I was looking at them they are not perfectly square. I checked and I don’t see any cracks, damage, repairs or anything wrong. Just slightly tweaked. Is this a cause for huge concern?
03EACB81-0469-4445-A141-7454C023E309_zpss1xmptrs.jpg

There is some speculation that this bike last used a CB550 rear hub. Unsure if the that has anything to do with my issue. The OEM CB750 axle is a fair bit thicker then the Seeley axle. I was stupid and didn’t measure the two axles while I was in the shop, only the Seeley axle. It is 15mm. The CB750 drum would not fit between the swing arm with the spacers that I have. I think that the sprocket carrier is to “wide” as it seems to be pushing the whole wheel to the right in the frame.
66176550-7E90-447A-88E5-3DF4D5202A77_zpsqm8a7eb4.jpg

Does a CB550 use a thinner axle? I assume that I will need to swap wheel bearings in the 750 wheels to suit the smaller axle.

You can see the wheel pushed to one side.
2402568C-7131-4C1F-8733-0B07E34570BD_zpsvjuliubx.jpg

BAC9559D-6A56-4338-9233-BAAAD1F2BE45_zpsljfynknz.jpg

The issue isn’t just getting these wheels to work, but to make sure that I can run the Lesters.

Here is a better look at the parts I have to work with.
Took a look at the rear axle spacers. I think that I have all of the Seeley bits I need, but I will know for sure when I mock it all up. All of the parts, save the one OEM, are alloy and don’t weigh much at all. Even the axle nuts are alloy.
0a95046cc49aff28bc68c78707bba534_zpsd86ed3c3.jpg

19e199faa046d34b7b796598c6665889_zpsab8cd34b.jpg

437240888b3d4b28f9715a6ca5dce0fc_zps9eb444d8.jpg

None seem to have any damage or ware that is cause for concern, very happy about that.
Interesting to see a small variation between the right and left axle end plates.
91633ef9e2b65792ce553e0916a47111_zpsae1cbf7c.jpg

Function is identical, just coming from a world of mass produced parts it is cool to see something that was cut by hand for a small batch.

Unsure what will need to be done.
I will need to take more detailed measurements next time I am in the shop.
Have a friend that is sending me a complete Cb550 hub (thanks Bassmaster) Fingers crossed that solves the spacing problem.

Will need to look more into CB550 vs Cb750 wheels. I thought that they where the same actually, but that seems wrong now.
Maybe I just need CB500/550 wheel bearings placed in my lesters?

I thought that I had all of the special Seeley parts, but I was short the front right motor mount plate. Lucky it should be a simple part to make. Looks like I have even found a pattern for it.

The bike will need a side stand. Checked and the lower tubing looks to be 1 1/8 inch. Will have to see what type of bolt on options are out there.

Another thing on the list to figure out is foot pegs and rearsets, but that is for another day.

the shock mounts will be fine as long as the shock bushings have nice square ends with decent wall thickness and the clamping of the shock bolt allows for a good tight secure situation without distorting the plate holes

i dunno it seams really light for a heavy bike, rear axle, that is the same size as a front axle ..is the seely axl straight ?

if you need to reduce for smaller axle best to make some reducer sleeve/shouldered bushings, keep the larger bearings in the wheel

Enjoying following this adventure .... The only person on the board from the UK who may know someone with a seely I can think of is Beachcomber, he has lots of random contacts. I've seen some at hill climbs but not for a while.

Erskine said:
Enjoying following this adventure .... The only person on the board from the UK who may know someone with a seely I can think of is Beachcomber, he has lots of random contacts. I've seen some at hill climbs but not for a while.
I will have to reach out to him.
On another board I have been put in touch with Colin Seeley himself about the bike. Waiting on info, and will be sure to share it.

Well last weekend was Valentines day so I didn’t get much time in the shop, and this weekend time was spend helping the person who’s shop I am using doing some work at the house so mostly spent time researching and trying to figure out how to solve the myriad of problems I seem to be coming across.

First on the list was dealing with the rear hub. A stock Honda CB750 uses a 20mm rear axle, but it seems that my Seeley runs a 15mm one. That seems on the smaller size. There is also a question of if the Seeley used the whole CB750 rear hub or a combination of other bikes too. Lucky for me I know where the rear hub that was supposedly on my frame went too. The bike had a pair of 18 inch alloy rims on it, I had always had the plan to run lesters so I didn’t go after the wheels. This turned out to be a mistake as they had some parts on them that I could use. Working on getting the hub right now though. (Thanks a million ATMCycles).

First sign that I saw that something was different was the spacer on the drum side. In the picture you can see that there is a step. The OD of that step is 20mm and the ID is 15mm. It slips inside the drum plate unlike how the OEM pieces would mount.

Screen%20Shot%202015-02-22%20at%2011.11.44%20AM_zpsga9mxmlo.png

I got some pictures of the hub that used to be on the frame. You can see that there is a spacer inside the bearings.
22a2d004ceb28099b1a5b9deadef8a55_zpsd759e7f6.jpg

4d76ea757e5904c023b11996f6f73653_zps53db1cb9.jpg

2f455b1fb76e7ef7e8eadbbcb2e48fd6_zps640f132c.jpg

Unsure exactly what hub it is though. Anyone tell from the pictures?

I think that the solution will be fairly simple in regards to the axle diameter difference. I will either used the spacer seen in the pictures with my Lester wheels, or make another one that will work. Wonder why Seeley used a smaller axle and then a bushing? I hope that in order to solve the spacing issue all I need to do is use the correct sprocket carrier. From what I can see the OEM CB750 one is to “wide” and pushes the whole wheel assembly to far to the right. We will see as soon as I have more parts in front of me.

Another snippet of info is that the front end w used to be a modified CB750 unit.
Interesting period modifications like a set screw near the seals.
2d3bc7e3f74db7a9f6e9c7a8e04223d6_zps2157bb7b.jpg

And air fittings to charge the forks.
0ee529c317b37f6e4d8a0e7fefef7d99_zpsd458ee30.jpg

Was converted to dual disc, but was told these are NOT cb750 brackets. Maybe CB550 or CB400?
de0d4eb1fc2d4ec2f17857cffa646724_zpsc7031c8d.jpg

Took a much-needed brake from anything to do with the steering head bearings for a time. Reaching out to some local talent to help me fabricate the needed axle adjustors and such. Made an excel list of some OEM part I know that I will need like intake boots, carb rebuild parts, brake rebuild parts ect. Will place an order soon so I have that stuff on hand.

why are you concerned about that wheel was when you are using the lesters ?
goddamitt quit messin aroung just git r dun :D
and really upgrade to the 20mm axel 15 is wimpy as fuck :-\

If the bike worked before with a 15mm then it is staying.
Im going to pull the parts out of the old hub rather then make them....if I can.
Any it might just motivate me to run alloy wheels instead.
Options are good!

Right now I have some time, and money to do the project.
What I lack is a machine shop and such. Funny that while I was in school I had little money and zero time, but was in a machine shop all the time!

roger that,and you can always upgrade to a proper rear axle size later... just because seely used it don't mean it was a good design choice

Back
Top Bottom