The Tortoise: cb350 -Now with metal flake

Re: My cb350 project

Hey matt:

I have cone building software that let's you print re template onto to paper to trace out later. Of course, you may already have this, the the standard math is pretty easy. But let me know if you want it.

Also, this bike deserves stainless!

--Chris

That front end looks sweet...similar to what Im doing on my KZ

chrisf said:
Hey matt:

I have cone building software that let's you print re template onto to paper to trace out later. Of course, you may already have this, the the standard math is pretty easy. But let me know if you want it.

Also, this bike deserves stainless!

--Chris

Thanks chris, I didn't even think about software, i was just going to bang out the math and bust out the old geometry set.

On another note; my buddy who did the powder coat, is going to roll the cones for me at his metal fab shop. Also stainless u-j bends are ridiculously expensive!

Hey man im liking the look of your ride, definatly the style i look for, keep up the good stuff :)

Definately a good choice in tank and seat best out there from BCR, but the best of all is the front end. Will def hit you up for specs for a later 350 project.

Did you see the stainelss exhaust I built for my 350? Since I have the bike, I can make about anything.

PM me if you're interested

chrisf said:
Did you see the stainelss exhaust I built for my 350? Since I have the bike, I can make about anything.

PM me if you're interested

Thanks for the offer Chris,

But i already ordered a collector, pipes, and rolled the cone. If it turns shit, i'll definitely hit you up for something.

Update: New shocks on. Swing arm back with new freshly machined bushing. Clean and paint rear rims/hub and wiring this weekend.

So close, it's hard to be patient now.

I didn't get to the rear wheel this weekend, but i did get the fenders mounted (yes they're mocked up with copper tubing).

Swing arm install tomorrow if all goes as planned.

30xh95k.jpg

started wiring recently, so far you can't see the wiring or batteries. In this picture, Just the Ignition and kill switch circuits are wired, Power is run to the Ignition Box and to the coils.
PS, i love this nylon braided loom! Thanks Tim for the links to thesupplier in you post!:
987hw3.jpg

259lds0.jpg

A friend helped me with the diagram, as much as I'd like to take credit for it, I can't. We used Chrisf's 360 diagram a starting point.
So Thanks Philip and Chris for the help on this one.
WWMD_WIRINGI_DIAGRAM_10.jpg

Myself and 2 friends went in splits and bought these acewell speedometers, so i stuffed min inside the old gauge.
2exnfq0.jpg

Exhaust stuff ready to go when i get back next week.:
ajqwx0.jpg

Also, the City's small engine shop is next door to where i work, they've got a sonic bath for some new sort of carbs, so i chucked these in and wow, extremely clean now.
21abfk7.jpg

Wow, that 350 looks great so far. I am curious what you plan for strengthening the frame? I am highly suspect of the original 350 frame's ability to handle such modern suspension and rubber.

tobiism said:
Wow, that 350 looks great so far. I am curious what you plan for strengthening the frame? I am highly suspect of the original 350 frame's ability to handle such modern suspension and rubber.

Yeah it is a bit of a concern, To date i've just seam welded everything, ground out some of the older shit welds and went over them, also added some gusseting to either side of the head tube.

I really should have run the FEA on the frame, but i never had time to finish the CAD model. I was hoping i could get a bit of riding in this summer and then address any short comings that the frame analysis shows this winter.

A little above where that copper tubing is for the fender mockup is the perfect spot to brace the swingarm pivot. If you run two tubes about an 1" above that copper tubing from the backbone to the rear shock tubes, it'll definitely help stiffen the rear section.
It wouldn't hurt to do a proper swingarm brace either.

really is on of my best builds looking grate well thort out can you give me some info on the pipe setup did you buy the pipe bends pre bent? whats the od size / how much/ where from/ ;) thanks

Tobiism has a good idea. Other than that, I would not sweat this too much. I certainly would not take the time to run FEA on it. Just wrap the project up and enjoy it!

--Chris

Uniac said:
I really should have run the FEA on the frame, but i never had time to finish the CAD model.

Mmmmmm, FEA. Now that's what I'm talkin bout.

Thanks for all the ideas and kind words everyone.

I think the urge to ride is taking over and further frame mods may have to wait until riding season is over.

For the stainless i got the u-j bends from a local supplier for $25 each
The tubes i got from metal supermarkets. Good price and local too
The cone and the collector i ordered from cone engineering in the states. (my attempt wasn't so pretty).

Anywho, off to nurse my bug bites (camping was a very bad idea) and finish the wiring of the bike!

Updates later

Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom