Cl175 Sloper Project

What2007

Hello all. Big Honda twin fan here, mostly 175's and 200's. I recently acquired in a trade a 1968 cl175 sloper. I was hoping I could get some questions answered. The carbs that came on the thing are junk, and I've read all about swapping on the pe24's, but I cannot justify to my wife spending over $300 on all of the Bateman parts that I would need to do the swap. My question is, will regular vert motor carbs work on the sloper? I'm just worried about the floats not working right with the angle change. Don't have a picture of the bike by itself, but here's part of my collection.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    299.8 KB · Views: 356
What2007 said:
Hello all. Big Honda twin fan here, mostly 175's and 200's. I recently acquired in a trade a 1968 cl175 sloper. I was hoping I could get some questions answered. The carbs that came on the thing are junk, and I've read all about swapping on the pe24's, but I cannot justify to my wife spending over $300 on all of the Bateman parts that I would need to do the swap. My question is, will regular vert motor carbs work on the sloper? I'm just worried about the floats not working right with the angle change. Don't have a picture of the bike by itself, but here's part of my collection.
contact member redwillissuperman and get a set of his SuperManifolds for $99(they may have gone up a little so dont quote my price but they will be worth every penny), they will open up your carb options.

DohcBikes said:
contact member redwillissuperman and get a set of his SuperManifolds for $99(they may have gone up a little so dont quote my price but they will be worth every penny), they will open up your carb options.

Are the like adapters so I can run a more readily available carb or something?

That pile of bikes looks like a nightmare more than a dream... Pun intended.

I wish u all da best

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Does anyone have a good source for a Pertronix ignition system? Bike is getting a brand new harness and I'm upgrading the rectifier. Would love to just have everything new electrical-wise.

I use a probe engineering EI on my 175. Just saw they are going out of business, which is terrible, but they may have some inventory that you could grab for cheaper if you want to go that route. Might be worth sending them an email to see if they have any 175 models left.

http://www.probe-eng.com/

Also, while you're doing everything new electrically, I'd spend the money and buy a rebuilt stator. It's allowing me to run a 4ah battery without problems.

http://ricksmotorsportelectrics.com/part/20-H124/NjlIb25DQjE3NQ==

1sttimer said:
Also, while you're doing everything new electrically, I'd spend the money and buy a rebuilt stator. It's allowing me to run a 4ah battery without problems.

http://ricksmotorsportelectrics.com/part/20-H124/NjlIb25DQjE3NQ==

Thanks for that. I sent them an email regarding the ignition. I will look in to these states too

Or use a DYNA ignition to fit a GL1000 Honda. It has two pickups so you remove one and keep it as a spare. The backing plate is the same diameter as the stock Honda points plate. You need to find a way to mount the rotor, but that's not difficult.

See, you have options.

That one year only model is a bit of an oddball. It is essentially a 5 speed (good) CB160. The barrels ad head are slightly different externally to the 160 but the ports are more or less the same. Later vertical motors have much better flowing ports. The one advantage of that head is that the combustion chamber is small and that makes it ideal for any number of larger diameter pistons.

I looked at the options and picked the Charlie ignition since it was self-contained and had great customer service. Pay particular attention to your springs to make sure they are "springy" and the advance does stick.

I found Charlie's place a while ago, just forgot about it. This might be my best option.

Does anyone know how much fork oil is supposed to go in these forks?

Took advantage of the beautiful 70* weather on this Cashimr Pulaski day and got some work done.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 324
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 336
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 327
redwillissuperman said:
I looked at the options and picked the Charlie ignition since it was self-contained and had great customer service. Pay particular attention to your springs to make sure they are "springy" and the advance does stick.

+1. That's important.

Starting to come together. Waiting on carbs and intakes. Found a seat that'll replace the old rusted out one.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 325
Back
Top Bottom