Fuel-rated RTV for float-bowl gaskets?

tacks

I have almost completed my build of my '71 CL350K3, and am just hammering out controls, electrical and exhaust, and am getting ready to put my carbs together after rebuilding. The issue I am having is there is a small amount of bowing between the float bowls and carb bodies. I have the correct shaped gaskets (home plate) and they fit, but there is not a solid seal between the bowl and body of the carb. I have RTV but it is not necessarily fuel rated, it softened right up after I had gas running through when I tested the motor before complete stripdown and repainting. I realize that this is far from the ideal setup of only having a gasket between the bowl and body, but until I get some cash this summer to upgrade my carbs, I have to make do. Is there a well-recognized fuel-rated RTV silicone sealant I can use to "fill in the gaps"? I did a google search and came up with some, but figured if I could rely on the knowledge of someone who has already used a certain kind to good effect, that may be my best course of action. Thanks in advance.

Spend the few hours with a brand new fine file, and file the base of the carbs flat again, it is the best way.

TheJester said:
Spend the few hours with a brand new fine file, and file the base of the carbs flat again, it is the best way.
it would be FAR easier to use wet sand paper on a fla wood block.

i would use wet 400 and keep it wet. aluminium gums paper up rather quickly.

I don't know why I didn't think of sanding/filing it down to begin with... I already bought the RTV but I'll try the fine sandpaper/file method first and resort to Loctite 518 if it doesn't seem to do the job. Thanks everyone.

You can not sand down the base of the carbs nor the float bowl due to obvious protrusions such as, but not limited to, float mounts, fuel passages, and overflow tubes. Hence, get a new small sharp file.

Been there done that.

RTV will not last, but disintegrate and cause far more issues jamming everything up.

TheJester said:
You can not sand down the base of the carbs nor the float bowl due to obvious protrusions such as, but not limited to, float mounts, fuel passages, and overflow tubes. Hence, get a new small sharp file.

Been there done that.

RTV will not last, but disintegrate and cause far more issues jamming everything up.
he is right. i havent been playing with carbs for long and forgot about this important detail.

when i cleaned my carbs yamabond found its way into the jets due to the PO using it as a gasket.

Back
Top Bottom